Fighters who improved significantly when they moved up.

Cableaddict

Thinking right now of Eubank, Jr:

He's clearly better in every way at 168. Stronger, quicker, seems to have more stamina & overall output..

Of course, this is partly due to good training, but I've always believed that heavy weight draining hurts a fighter's performance. Both physically & mentally.

I'm trying to think of some other good examples of fighters who looked MUCH better after they moved up.

The first one that comes to mind is Tony Bellew, though he should have stopped at CW.

I have a feeling Both Charlo's will soon qualify, but time will tell ...

Others?

-------------------------------

There are also guys who never moved up, but always fought near their "natural" weights.

Pirog comes quickly to mind. Golovkin, maybe?

Re: Fighters who improved significantly when they moved up.

Robert Guerrero comes to mind. Won a title at 126, but also lost twice (one lost was a ND against Salido for getting popped on juice). Moved up to 130 to win another title, but nothing special. Made a mark at 135 beating Casamayor, Escobedo and Katsidis. Finally got his best win against Berto at 147.

Sergio Martinez fought most of his career as super welter, but never really had a proper title if you didn't count "interim" WBC belt. Surelly, he was more dominant when he moved up.

I didn't even realize that !

Bellew became a completely different animal when he stopped destroying his life force and fought at cruiser. the heavy handed animal that everyone expected him to be from the amatuers. also think Brook is gonna be loads stronger with a better engine at 154

Bellew became a completely different animal when he stopped destroying his life force and fought at cruiser. the heavy handed animal that everyone expected him to be from the amatuers. also think Brook is gonna be loads stronger with a better engine at 154

Yeah, I agree completely about Brook.

• 2 weeks later...

--- Sergio started at welter to log about 20 fights and then splits 160 and 154 fairly close, so what ever division he was in for the most fights would be a plurality, not a majority, but that would make me...What's the word Gavvy, pedantic?

How dare you make me have to use my brain on a boxing forum.

What's the word Gavvy, pedantic?

That's the one. But if this is you sulking over the Parker thing yesterday, that wasn't pedantry, it was a misunderstanding - you said one thing and then when I disagreed, you said what you actually meant was something completely different. If you post something with two meanings, you can hardly blame me for taking one of those two meanings.

Edited by gavpowell