Fight fans turning into ticket resellers

The_budweiser

I think it's horrible to see fight fans turning into StubHub and ruin the sport with their own greed.

Fans who have signed up to Fight Pass through Matchroom boxing get access to x-amount of tickets before they go on sale to the general public.

All over Twitter and Facebook there's posts like "Face Value £40, Selling for £200 per ticket, 4 tickets available" for the upcoming Joshua-Parker fight.

We all slate StubHub and the price of there tickets but fans are now doing the exact same.

Rant Over, thoughts?

Re: Fight fans turning into ticket resellers

its been going on for years, there's an easy way for Matchroom to stop this, Iron Maiden done a ticketless entry, where you had to show id and/or the bank card you bought the ticket with, fact is Matchroom are greedy and wont rock the boat with stub hub as they are an affiliate.

"Face Value £40, Selling for £200 per ticket, 4 tickets available"

That's somewhat of a shoddy sales pitch!! They need to work on it. Make the deal seem good value rather than paying over the odds. Unless said person was merely gloating of their profits and business acumen?

That's somewhat of a shoddy sales pitch!! They need to work on it. Make the deal seem good value rather than paying over the odds. Unless said person was merely gloating of their profits and business acumen?

I don't think they care Ton as long as there making more money and worst thing is they know the tickets will sell.

Lad at work couldn't get hold of Joshua tickets, and that was within minutes of them going on sale to the public. It's the same with anything theses days. Look at the Nintendo NES and SNES Mini. There was limited stock to create artificial demand, scalpers bought up as many as they could get their hands on, then throw them straight on eBay for stupid money.

As already mentioned with Iron Maiden, Dave Gilmour (Pink Floyd) has a similar system in place. You have to have ID that matches up with the booked tickets, and the credit card that was used to purchase.

People are taking the piss doing this. Buying a load of tickets only to sell them at an inflated price. The Joshua vs Pulev fight had these amateur touts panicking when Pulev pulled out. Crowd was huge, so people willing to pay for the event. I had a press pass, so can't complain too much.

As already mentioned with Iron Maiden, Dave Gilmour (Pink Floyd) has a similar system in place. You have to have ID that matches up with the booked tickets, and the credit card that was used to purchase.

That's a great idea, though it must really slow things down at the gate.

- And what if a legitimate fan / ticket holder honestly leaves his ID at home, because someone else drove to the event? Are they seriously going to turn him away?

That's a great idea, though it must really slow things down at the gate.

- And what if a legitimate fan / ticket holder honestly leaves his ID at home, because someone else drove to the event? Are they seriously going to turn him away?

I was considering the Gilmour gig in London, and the terms were quite blunt on the booking site, absolutely no admittance without the person who purchased the tickets, they must have ID and credit card used for purchase.

Not sure what the maximum tickets per person was, two or four. So if you wanted to get four tickets, then sell three, you'd have to accompany three complete strangers because I can't see anyone ripping their mates off... :laugh:

Barry Hearn runs worldsnooker and has responded to similar criticisms in the past with

“The real problem is we sell our tickets too cheaply, but that is not what the average punter wants to know. I don’t condone tickets on sale for £795, and I don’t criticise it. If the market values the ticket at £400 or £795, the real idiots are us for selling them too cheaply."

CRUCIBLE TICKETS - THE VIAGOGO ISSUE — Inside Snooker

ViaGogo are an official affiliate of Worldsnooker. This is a man who has no interest beyond his own pocket.

Barry Hearn runs worldsnooker and has responded to similar criticisms in the past with

“The real problem is we sell our tickets too cheaply, but that is not what the average punter wants to know. I don’t condone tickets on sale for £795, and I don’t criticise it. If the market values the ticket at £400 or £795, the real idiots are us for selling them too cheaply."

CRUCIBLE TICKETS - THE VIAGOGO ISSUE — Inside Snooker

He sort of has a point.

-----------------------------------

Another moan about tickets:

Just bought boxing tickets for The Hydro to watch Josh Taylor vs Humberto Soto, Jason Easton vs Glenn Foot, Chantelle Cameron, Martin Bakole Ilunga, Lee McGregor, Charlie Flynn, Joe Ham and Iain Trotter.

My birthdays in March, so treated myself. Looking forward to it but disappointing they don't do kids tickets and you have to pay full price for a child to attend - £45.50 and the £5.50 is a booking fee.

On a good note I got a free ticket so in the end it cost me £45.50 x 2 for myself, wife and son to attend.

He sort of has a point.

-----------------------------------

He doesn't really though - there will always be lunatics who will pay any price but they're the exception, not the rule. The prices are fine in my opinion and maybe they could raise them a little for snooker, but certainly boxing is too rich for my blood because there simply isn't enough on the average card to justify 100 quid plus for a decent seat. He's welcome to try trebling his prices, but he may find Matchroom events see dramatic falls at the gate.

I don't think they care Ton as long as there making more money and worst thing is they know the tickets will sell.

My post was said firmly tongue in cheek, Bud.

Ticket touts have unfortunately been around for as long as showbusiness has existed. Where there's money to be made there are schemers and cheaters unfortunately. Supply and demand dictates that these people can thrive.

It's to be applauded that some things are trying to be done about it such as seeing ID and the card the tickets were purchased on but that itself has repercussions and logistical issues.

On another note ticketing companies are almost as guilty in the robbing stakes with the ridiculous made up fee's they add on,

Processing fee, administration fee, credit card fee, transaction fee, delivery cost et al, they find all manner of ways to justify an extra cost.

£5.99 admin fee, which I assume means the person at the company may press a button which issues the ticket to be sent out.

Card fees has always pissed me off, and I believe they got banned from use, but they just come up with another administritive type fee in place of them. Daylight fucking robbery.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's horrible to see fight fans turning into StubHub and ruin the sport with their own greed.

We all slate StubHub and the price of there tickets but fans are now doing the exact same.

Just gonna leave this here now you've started taking money from Viagogo through affiliate links.

Just gonna leave this here now you've started taking money from Viagogo through affiliate links.

To be honest Gav, I'd rather have no ads on the site. But, to keep the site going we need revenue from donations, affiliates, banners, ads, etc... - anything to help keep the sites going.

And with the news that both sites have grown and soon will need there own independent servers we need all the revenue we can get. Were all ready at £633 a year and the ads don't come close unfortunately, who knows what the new yearly cost will be? And that's not including any work or repairs that need done on the sites. So any revenue from affiliates helps although I don't agree with the ticket sellers we can't be picky.

I actually forgot the site even had stubhub and viagogo links on it until I saw the other day we sold 4 tickets with someone clicking through an affiliate link.

In a recent interview Frank Warren said that government legislation would be kicking in soon. The names of the sellers and how many tickets they have, will have to be shown on sites like Stubhub.

I read in November that they were being investigated for ticket touting - StubHub and Viagogo offices raided in ticket touting investigation | Business | The Guardian

To be honest Gav, I'd rather have no ads on the site. But, to keep the site going we need revenue from donations, affiliates, banners, ads, etc... - anything to help keep the sites going.

I actually forgot the site even had stubhub and viagogo links on it until I saw the other day we sold 4 tickets with someone clicking through an affiliate link.

I have every sympathy and no issue with standard advertising, but you cannot express your disappointment at sites ripping off fans and letting "fans" rip off each other and then take a cut of the proceeds. Affiliate links are a great idea, but not ticket touts who are a plague upon the Earth.

In a recent interview Frank Warren said that government legislation would be kicking in soon. The names of the sellers and how many tickets they have, will have to be shown on sites like Stubhub.

Yeah, but successive governments express concern, investigate and then say "No, there's no reason to change the law" - naming and shaming someone doesn't work if they don't feel any shame, and a lot don't.

Yeah, but successive governments express concern, investigate and then say "No, there's no reason to change the law" - naming and shaming someone doesn't work if they don't feel any shame, and a lot don't.

Frank seemed to be hinting that the promoter was dumping piles of tickets on Stubhub at an inflated price. By the name being visible, it'll likely stop that promoter doing it.

Frank seemed to be hinting that the promoter was dumping piles of tickets on Stubhub at an inflated price. By the name being visible, it'll likely stop that promoter doing it.

Ah, interesting, though I'd be surprised if anyone was stupid enough to do it in their own name. And the Hearn and Warren families all lack the shame gene.