The Most Promising HW Contenders - 2018

Cableaddict

As I wrote recently in another thread:

"What we really need is to get rid of all the old, dead weight in the division, and make room for the most promising young guns to step up fast. There are currently only 3-4 really serious guys in the top fifteen. (I would have included Fat Andy, but evidently he retired after getting robbed against Parker.)"

Time for a new list, baby !

===============================================================================================================

-------------------- The Most Promising HW Contenders, (not prospects) 2018 :

Izuagbe Ugonoh - Still an amazing physical specimen. Needs to dump Kevin Barry asap.

Oscar Rivas - Fawgeddaboudit !

Otto Wallen. - this guy is the real deal. Already ranked #11 by the WBA & #13 by the WBO.

---------------------------------- AND MAYBE:

Andre Wawrzyk - Massively underrated & evidently with shit management. Sadly, he may have retired. (probably out of frustration.)

Bogdan Dinu - If he can get da fuk out of Romania. - But he’s looking a little sloppy lately, like he’s given up & not training right.

Joseph Parker - Still in the mix, but just barely.

Dominic Breazeale - Still has a small chance, esp after seeing that gutsy win over Ugonoh.

- But Breazeale’s head has never been quite right. - And his approach in the AJ fight was absurd.

Another promising specimin, with apparently a shit trainer.

Andy Ruiz - If he ever fights again. If he can stay trim & motivated. If he doesn't once again get royally screwed.

# Yunier Dorticos & Oleksandr Usyk

- Two excellent CW who will both surely move up to HW within the next year. No matter what the outcome of the Super Series, I expect Dorticos will move up immediately afterwards, so maybe a "test the waters" HW bout for him in late 2018.

=======================================================

Names I couldn't include as they are still prospects, but look out for them in 2019:

Jai Opetaia

Junior Fa

Martin Bakole Llunga - OMG !

Nick Asberry

Trey Lippe Morrison - Training with Freddie Roach, and looking spectacular.

Tyrone Spong

=====================================================================================================

You look at my list, above, and then you look at the top-15 rankings of all the main bodies, and all you can do is shake your head in disgust.

Names like Bryant Jennings, Christian Hammer, Tom Shwarz, Agit Kabayel, Charles Martin, DuHaupas, Ustinov, Lucas Brown, Guillermo fucking Jones, Chisora, Bellew fer chissakes, BJ Flores …..

With the exception of Rivas & Wallen, not one of these guys has a chance in hell of winning a major belt. (Don't mention Bellew or I'll slap you upside the head)

Heck, not one of these guys has a chance in hell of even looking good in a loss to AJ or Wilder.

Yet there they are, clogging up the top-15 rankings.

The HW division won’t be truly exciting again until all this rotting meat is dead & buried.

Edited by Cableaddict

Re: The Most Promising HW Contenders - 2018

Andre Wawrzyk - Massively underrated & evidently with shit management. Sadly, he may have retired. (probably out of frustration.)

You've surprised me with this call ;-) Wawrzyk simply can't take a punch and it's a known fact since the journeyman Harvey Jolly dropped him in 2010. He was almost knocked out by Denis Bakhtov in 2012 despite a wide lead and Povetkin walked easily through him. He's kind of similar to David Price, except the fact that Price used to beat some decent guys impressively. Who has Warzyk beaten?

You've surprised me with this call ;-) Wawrzyk simply can't take a punch and it's a known fact since the journeyman Harvey Jolly dropped him in 2010. He was almost knocked out by Denis Bakhtov in 2012 despite a wide lead and Povetkin walked easily through him. He's kind of similar to David Price, except the fact that Price used to beat some decent guys impressively. Who has Warzyk beaten?

The Povetkin that walked through him was 'roided to the gills. A walking Russian lab experiment. To me, that fight doesn't count. Also, Andrej fought stupidly in that fight. He actually looked scared, kept on his back foot and hardly threw anything except for those lovely jabs of his. One could almost imply that he was paid to lay down, especially considering the bullshit stoppage. (Not ME, of course, I know that boxing is 100% legit, especially in Russia!)

True about Bakhtov, though. I suppose Warzyk might indeed not have the chin to survive at elite level. (Note that I did list him under the "maybe" category)

But his defensive footwork & balance are excellent, so he's not easy to hit.

Whatever the results, he'd sure make it fun. He's never boring to watch. - And he's a fuck ton better than at least half the guys currently in the top-15. (Which isn't saying much, I guess.) I think he just needs more confidence / aggression in the ring.

Edited by Cableaddict

The Povetkin that walked through his was 'roided to the gills. A walking Russian lab experiment.

Don't be so hysterical!!

I know very little of all the drugs floating about, but didnt he test positive for that meldonium stuff that Sharapova was guilty of taking. But since it was added to the ban list in recent years it can't have offered THAT much performance enhancement. And especially not enough to be "roided to the gills" as you put it.

Anyway I have seen yesterday Povetkin is going to face David Price on the Jushua-Parker undercard :haha: