Does Lamont Peterson have a chance against Errol Spence Jr?

The_budweiser

Re: Does Lamont Peterson have a chance against Errol Spence Jr?

I would've given Peterson a better chance had he not come in with a nearly 1 year layoff. Kudos to Lamont for taking the fight, Errol doesn't get much credit for a win.

I can't wait to see how Kownacki does against Kiladze, especially coming off that great performance against Szpilka last time out.

I cant see how Peterson is going to win. The lateral movement style he used against garcia wont be as useful against spence, because spence doesnt have

garcias cement feet and knows how to cut the ring and dig to the body consistently.

Peterson also had success when he tried to force fights on the inside, but spence punches on the inside are very crisp and he has very good leverage on his punches. As we've seen against matthysse,

Peterson cant trade with good punchers and spence has very good punching power. It worked well against garcia in the later rounds, but garcia punches are thrown much wider and loopy, which peterson could

better anticipate.

The only way I can see peterson win the fight is by disrupting spence offense with negative tactics. Jab and clinch, lateral movement and clinch and use the right moments to put

spence on the backfoot, because that is not one of spence's strenghts.

I cant see how Peterson is going to win. The lateral movement style he used against garcia wont be as useful against spence, because spence doesnt have

garcias cement feet and knows how to cut the ring and dig to the body consistently.

Peterson also had success when he tried to force fights on the inside, but spence punches on the inside are very crisp and he has very good leverage on his punches. As we've seen against matthysse,

Peterson cant trade with good punchers and spence has very good punching power. It worked well against garcia in the later rounds, but garcia punches are thrown much wider and loopy, which peterson could

better anticipate.

The only way I can see peterson win the fight is by disrupting spence offense with negative tactics. Jab and clinch, lateral movement and clinch and use the right moments to put

spence on the backfoot, because that is not one of spence's strenghts.

Excellent analysis. :thumb:

Problem with Cheaterson is that he only does well against guys who have a tendency to take breaks or tire. That's how he got the draw against Ortiz, that's how he got that undeserved win over Khan. He gets knocked down, then recuperates and his opponent then tires and he comes back and steals the rest of the fight. He's a stealer and a cheater.