Super Series - Predictions?

Cableaddict

Not much baxin' going on this week, so thinking about the tournament.

Quarter finals maybe in a few monhs?

Groves vs Eubank

Smith vs Braehmer

Usyk vs Briedas

Dorticos vs Gassiev

Anybody wanna' make some predictions?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think Smith handles Braemer without breaking a sweat. Most likely a mid-round KO.

The others are all nail-biters for me:

Usyk is brilliant, but Briedas is no walk in the park, and he can bang. He also has excellent defensive footwork & movement, plus he's a deadly counterpuncher.

Dorticos has dat power, but so does Gassiev, and Gassiev is tough as nails. Gassiev doesn't appear to have very good skills, and yet he's somehow able to stay in the pocket all night and trade, until his opponent just plain wears out. I predict a Dorticos KO, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Gassiev take it in the late rounds.

Groves vs Eubank? Flip a coin. Should be one of the best fights of the year.

Re: Super Series - Predictions?

--- I predict an overall low viewer interest save the Groves/Eubank fight, but thus far they've stayed as quiet as church mice, so the promotion overall seems to be lagging.

Predict half the fights to be disputed officiating and low viewer totals for anything calling itself "Super."'

I thought Smith was withdrawing from the tournament for a world title opportunity?

Just checked his Twitter and it says "For those asking. I’m still fighting in the @WBSuperSeries Just awaiting comfirmation on date/venue Don’t believe everything you read.."

Groves v Eubank - no way I can make any serious prediction about it. Maybe 51-49 for Groves over sheer experience in bigger fights ;-)

Smith v Braehmer - As much as I loved Brahmer's performance against Brant, I still think of him as that kind of guy that, who wouldn't try as much as soon as he realize that the fight isn't going his way. On the other hand, I think Braehmer is probably little better than Skoglund who gave Smith a tough night. 60-40 for Smith In my opinion.

Usyk v Briedis - Briedis is probably Usyk's best opponent so far and still I kind of don't see him winning this. Just not the kind of style that would be that damaging against Usyk. 70-30 Usyk.

Dorticos v Gassiev - I think Gassiev should win this. Dorticos' last win was impressive, but honestly Kudryashov was a dream opponent for him as he came to trade blows with him and isn't tough at all. I still keep in my mind very limited, front-footed Kalenga who gave him hell until the knock out. Gassiev went through the war with Lebedev without any clear damage, so the toughness should be there. Gassiev won't exchange punches early as he can fight quite calmly. He can catch Dorticos at the right moment or just get the decision. 70-30 in favor of Gassiev.

I thought Smith was withdrawing from the tournament for a world title opportunity?

Time will tell, but its very strongly rumoured. And I would not be surprised in the slightest if Jnr withdraws before he has to get in the ring with Groves.

Just checked his Twitter and it says "For those asking. I’m still fighting in the @WBSuperSeries Just awaiting comfirmation on date/venue Don’t believe everything you read.."

That was from a Eddie Hearn clone/troll account on twitter. It got a ton of re-tweets.

I was surprised how sluggish Callum looked against Skoglund. Was it the inactivity going into that fight, or was Erik just tougher than expected? That fight actually gives me some doubt on whether he just strolls past Braehmer.

I keep doubting Groves, thinking his tank is blinking near empty. Then he goes on to beat Murray and Chudinov (both of which i picked to beat George). I hate Eubank Jr, but i think he'll be a bit too fresh. Teeing off on Groves in the mid rounds, leaving himself open for George to counter. Jr's chin will hold up for the 12 rounds.

I was surprised how sluggish Callum looked against Skoglund. Was it the inactivity going into that fight, or was Erik just tougher than expected? That fight actually gives me some doubt on whether he just strolls past Braehmer. .

I think Skogland was simply much better than anyone expected. He was, after all, undefeated. He's also extremely big for SMW.

Skogland definitely came to fight that night. There was no quit in him. - But Smith, despite fighting unusually careful and reserved (I wouldn't say "sluggish" ) was pretty much always in control. I actually think that was one of his most impressive fights, as he showed real maturity. He played it safe and went for the win, instead of a flashy KO. - And Skogland made Smith dig DEEP into his defensive bag, which was great to see.

Braemer doesn't have Slogland's speed, and he certainly won't have Skogland's stamina. I see a very similar fight for the first half, until Braemer inevitably gasses, and Smith takes him out.

I think Skogland was simply much better than anyone expected. He was, after all, undefeated. He's also extremely big for SMW.

Skogland definitely came to fight that night. There was no quit in him. - But Smith, despite fighting unusually careful and reserved (I wouldn't say "sluggish" ) was pretty much always in control. I actually think that was one of his most impressive fights, as he showed real maturity. He played it safe and went for the win, instead of a flashy KO. - And Skogland made Smith dig DEEP into his defensive bag, which was great to see.

Braemer doesn't have Slogland's speed, and he certainly won't have Skogland's stamina. I see a very similar fight for the first half, until Braemer inevitably gasses, and Smith takes him out.

Braemher has experience! Wait, where is this fight taking place?

Groves vs Eubank

Smith vs Braehmer

Usyk vs Briedas

Dorticos vs Gassiev

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eubank,

Smith

Usyk

Gassiev.

Cheers.

Groves vs Eubank

Smith vs Braehmer

Usyk vs Briedas

Dorticos vs Gassiev

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eubank,

Smith

Usyk

Gassiev.

Cheers.

Interesting that you're picking Gassiev.

Care to elaborate?

Not much baxin' going on this week, so thinking about the tournament.

Quarter finals maybe in a few monhs?

Groves vs Eubank

Smith vs Braehmer

Usyk vs Briedas

Dorticos vs Gassiev

Anybody wanna' make some predictions?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think Smith handles Braemer without breaking a sweat. Most likely a mid-round KO.

The others are all nail-biters for me:

Usyk is brilliant, but Briedas is no walk in the park, and he can bang. He also has excellent defensive footwork & movement, plus he's a deadly counterpuncher.

Dorticos has dat power, but so does Gassiev, and Gassiev is tough as nails. Gassiev doesn't appear to have very good skills, and yet he's somehow able to stay in the pocket all night and trade, until his opponent just plain wears out. I predict a Dorticos KO, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Gassiev take it in the late rounds.

Groves vs Eubank? Flip a coin. Should be one of the best fights of the year.

I think Eubank edges out Groves in a close fight. UD most likely, or MD. Can even see a late stoppage. Smith will beat Braehmer most certainly, who is fighting at 168 for the first time in many years and is pretty much a spent force. I think Callum will win by ko. Usyk and BRIEDIS ;) that will be the big cracker. I still think Usyk's amazing ability to soak up punishment and his incredible gas tank will be the decisive factor here. It will go to the scorecards very likely. Usyk to win by a close UD, This will be his first great test. I don't know much about Gassiev, but Dorticos has been nothing but impressive. I imagine Gassiev is another of those undestructible come forward fighters like Usyk but he will have a hard time beating Dorticos, who seems to have both skill and power. I favor Dorticos to win by decision or even late stoppage.

Interesting that you're picking Gassiev.

Care to elaborate?

All honesty there's no logic behind my pick for that one. I haven't seen Dorticos really but I have Gassiev a few times and he has looked tough and pretty experienced. He took apart Lebedev who is a tough opponent. Maybe that experience gives him an edge.Plus he is also a slight favourite with the bookies also.

I don't know much about Gassiev, but Dorticos has been nothing but impressive. I imagine Gassiev is another of those undestructible come forward fighters like Usyk but he will have a hard time beating Dorticos, who seems to have both skill and power. I favor Dorticos to win by decision or even late stoppage.

I kind of disagree. I've already brought up Kalenga fight. It's the only time we've seen Dorticos for more than few rounds and issues with his boxing were visible. He basically came to trade blows with 180 cm pumped-up guy, didn't use his jabs enough and his defence was bad!

https://youtu.be/UyDHxtrTnHw?t=40m41s

Look how easy it was for Kalenga to score.

I kind of disagree. I've already brought up Kalenga fight. It's the only time we've seen Dorticos for more than few rounds and issues with his boxing were visible. He basically came to trade blows with 180 cm pumped-up guy, didn't use his jabs enough and his defence was bad!

https://youtu.be/UyDHxtrTnHw?t=40m41s

Look how easy it was for Kalenga to score.

It's funny, I see that fight very differently. I thought Dorticos, who was stepping way up in competition against Kalenga, actually showed significantly IMPROVED defense. - especially his head movement. And you gotta' realize that Kalenga is a very tough opponent to look good against. He extremely fast & slippery.

FWIW, I had Kalenga slightly ahead before the KO, but it was still an impressive win for Dorticos.

I've never considered Dorticos extremely skilled, and his hands are pretty slow, but he does seem to be improving all the time. He's also pretty fearless.

And DAT POWAH. OMG .......

Your right about his jab, though. No argument there.

Edited by Cableaddict

It's funny, I see that fight very differently. I thought Dorticos, who was stepping way up in competition against Kalenga, actually showed significantly IMPROVED defense. - especially his head movement. And you gotta' realize that Kalenga is a very tough opponent to look good against. He extremely fast & slippery.

FWIW, I had Kalenga slightly ahead before the KO, but it was still an impressive win for Dorticos.

I've never Dorticos extremely skilled, and his hands are pretty slow, but he does seem to be improving all the time. He's also pretty fearless.

And DAT POWAH. OMG .......

Your right about his jab, though. No argument there.

You may have a point, there. It's just very hard for a fighter his size to have a GREAT defence. His defence is probably not bad, but I think what I've meant is more about his strategy. It was just too risky to simply stand in front of Kalenga and letting his wild blows go instead of keeping the distance. I just think it'd be very hard for him to beat Gassiev if he doesn't fight smarter. Don't forget that Gassiev is bigger than Kalenga, practically as tall as Dorticos. Some advantages of Dorticos may be gone there. And I have to admit that I used to think Gassiev may be little overrated, but last two performances were impressive.

Interesting thought about Gassiev:

After his impressive win over Lebedev (due more to sheer guts than skills) he only fought ONCE in 2017.

Maybe he has bad management, but maybe he purposely took time off to train properly. To learn new skills. (To learn ANY skills!)

The guys s still only 24 y-o, so it's reasonable to assume he'll keep improving for quite some time, if he has a good trainer.

- Is he still with Abel Sanchez?