Chris Eubank Jr vs George Groves - Who is the stronger puncher?

The_budweiser

George Groves and Chris Eubank Jr will clash in the Manchester Arena on February 17 in a highly anticipated World Boxing Super Series (WBSS) semi-final. There are so many variables to the fight that fans have been scratching their heads trying to work out who will come out victorious and march into the final of the innovative

tournament.

Eubank could conceivably still make middleweight but the lure of the riches at super-middleweight coaxed him up a division. He recently posted a video of himself weighing in extremely light for someone in the 168lbs class and this factor could have a bearing on the fight itself.

Page not found - - Boxing News - Ring News24

Re: Chris Eubank Jr vs George Groves - Who is the stronger puncher?

Chris Eubank Jr vs George Groves - Who is the stronger puncher?

100% Groves. Cant believe you're asking this Budders...Do you really think Chis Jr could put Froch on his arse?

100% Groves. Cant believe you're asking this Budders...Do you really think Chis Jr could put Froch on his arse?

Eubank is the harder puncher. At 160 lbs where he should be fighting. At 168 it's definitely Groves.

A few years ago I would have probably said Groves. But since that amazing ko of Yildirim, I realized that Little Chris can really bang. Only iron chins like Abraham can withstand punishment from him for 12 rounds. And Chris didn't even land all of those shots clean. Groves def can bang too but he mostly has that right hand, the right hook which has sunk most of his victims and dropped Froch on his ass. Physically he also is not as strong as Little Chris. But all in all...I guess they can punch about equally hard.

I’m going with Eubank to win, he’s unpredictable and Groves not impressed me recently at all.

Don’t think he can reproduce his first performance against Froch.

I’ll be there watching through those awful lights around the ring.

Got to say I’m really excited as it’s not an easy one to call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few years ago I would have probably said Groves. But since that amazing ko of Yildirim, I realized that Little Chris can really bang. Only iron chins like Abraham can withstand punishment from him for 12 rounds. And Chris didn't even land all of those shots clean. Groves def can bang too but he mostly has that right hand, the right hook which has sunk most of his victims and dropped Froch on his ass. Physically he also is not as strong as Little Chris. But all in all...I guess they can punch about equally hard.

Definitely.

Eubank continues to improve, and a big part of that has been slowing down, picking his punches better, and making sure they have full support. He's a MUCH better puncher than even a few years ago.

I think they're pretty close. Both in power and in overall style.

It should be an incredible fight.

100% Groves. Cant believe you're asking this Budders...

I shared the article on various boxing Facebook pages and it got back mixed answers.

For me the answer is who ever lands the punch. Don't see Groves landing many punches in this fight. I believe both fighters are capable of knocking each other out if they land flush but it's more likely to come from Groves.

Groves by KO or Eubank on points for me.

Groves has too much for jnr kinda reminds me of when de gale fought groves he didn't have great experience I think the same with jnr, although he has come on great In this competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that may have just been one of those moments when the stars aligned and the shot connected in just the right way - like Willie Limond against Khan or Michael Jones against Jamie Moore.

And Froch's problem was two-fold - he thought he could knock everyone out because he was a big puncher. and he thought he could take any shot because he had an excellent chin.

Robprosser's got it bang on, Eubank will be sadly underweight at SMW.

Why do you say that? He's been about 168 for his last 3-4 fights.

In 26 pro bouts, he only weighed-in at 160 or less in NINE of them. (And he always looked emaciated.)

He weighed in at 168 for Yildrim, and look trim in the ring. Fast, too.

Eubank & Groves are the same height, and Eubank has a 1/2" reach advantage.

Groves probably is slightly heavier, naturally (he looks like a skeleton at weigh-ins but the difference isn't anything significant.

Edited by Cableaddict

Why do you say that?

I didn't say it, rob said it but I agree with him. And I still say what I have said before in other threads too - Eubank Jr cant dig at SMW.

I don't have to explain rehydration to you cable, surely? Groves, on fight night will dwarf Eubank.

My gut feeling is this though: Eubank Jr will pull out before fight night. :thumb:

• 1 month later...

Speed/technique generates the power and Jnr has quicker hand speed, better footwork and upper body movement than Groves, so forget the weight difference, Eubank along with the accuracy of his punches will overpower the ginger one.

Absolutely.

Like I've said elsewhere, I think Groves' only real chance is to forget his typical counterpunching style, (which he doesn't always use, anyway) come forward, and try to land body shots. Groves throws a lovely body punch, Eubank appears somewhat open down below, and it only takes one perfectly-placed body shot to end a fight.