Sky Sports customer hit with 85k bill after streaming Joshua vs Klitschko

The_budweiser

A boxing fan was hit with an £85,000 demand after a drunk pal streamed Anthony Joshua’s big fight to 4,250 people on Facebook.

Craig Foster, 34, shelled out £19.95 to watch the sell-out Wembley bout on Sky at home with friends.

But the media giant landed him with the knockout blow after one guest picked up Craig’s iPad, ran up Facebook Live, and pointed it at his TV.

Sky tracked down Craig from a watermark of his account number which flashed up on screen during April’s bout, in which AJ beat Ukrainian Wladimir Klitschko in the eleventh round.

They cancelled his subscription – and sent him an £85,000 demand for the loss in revenue from pay-per-view sales.

Boxing fan hit with PS85,000 bill after drunk pal streamed Anthony Joshua fight to 4,250 people on Facebook - Mirror Online

Re: Sky Sports customer hit with 85k bill after streaming Joshua vs Klitschko

Thats wild. I'm guessing he'll have to sue his friend, or at the very least stop being friends with him.

That's probably an excuse to get away with the fact he was the one streaming.

They put his bill down to 5K but he has refused their latest offer as he thinks there trying to make an example out of him.

I wonder if Sky are bluffing or will go after him for streaming.

That's probably an excuse to get away with the fact he was the one streaming.

They put his bill down to 5K but he has refused their latest offer as he thinks there trying to make an example out of him.

I wonder if Sky are bluffing or will go after him for streaming.

I'm sure Sky is happy with the headline, and re-tweets of them suing an individual for streaming their product. That should scare quite a few into possibly not doing this in the future. Still nearly impossible to stop everything.

I'm sure Sky is happy with the headline, and re-tweets of them suing an individual for streaming their product. That should scare quite a few into possibly not doing this in the future. Still nearly impossible to stop everything.

It may deter others from doing it in the future - It's a bold move from Sky.

Doesn't quite ring true to me. The normal procedure is for Sky to prosecute for copyright theft, normally thru' the police but could also be by a private prosecution, and this often carries a custodial sentence even for first offences - then once that has been proved in court a standard claim for damages through the Proceeds of Crime Act can then be persued.

I can't decide which is more ridiculous:

Illegally streaming via Facebook, without any proxy or security precautions,

Or pretending it was your "drunk friend" that did it, without you noticing.

This guy should be fined just for being stupid.