Anyone give Scott Quigg a chance against Oscar Valdez?

The_budweiser

Scott Quigg says his WBO title fight against Oscar Valdez is "99 per cent" agreed and hopes to make his name in America with victory over the highly-rated Mexican.

Promoter Eddie Hearn is close to finalising a deal for Quigg to become the next challenger for the unbeaten WBO featherweight champion Valdez, with a likely location of the StubHub Center in California on March 10.

Quigg was initially informed about the fight a month ago and expects to sign the contract in the next few days before flying out to Los Angeles to link up with trainer Freddie Roach.

Scott Quigg excited about challenging Oscar Valdez on planned American debut in March | Boxing News | Sky Sports

Re: Anyone give Scott Quigg a chance against Oscar Valdez?

I know literally nothing about Quigg. I didn't even see his loss to Frampton.

(I'm a shallow American, what can I tell you?)

- But Valdez is an incredible boxer, especially with his jab having gotten so much better in the last year. (Kudos to Manny Robles.) Not just technically excellent, but he showed great boxing IQ against Marriaga, completely changing his attack in the middle of the fight. Nice ability to occasionally switch to southpaw, too.

Plus, of course, he has excellent power.

His only weakness is a general tendency to throw everything at full speed, a trait that cost him in the Servania fight. - But we saw him varying his jab in the last few rounds of the Marriaga fight, so I think Robles has been working on this.

I think Valdez is one of the top 10 or so fighters in the game today.

So... somebody give me the skinny on Quigg.

Edited by Cableaddict

Both can slug, carry power and are strong. Both vulnerable to getting caught. I favour Valdez, as I don't think Quigg would beat Miguel Marriaga or Genesis Servania. Really looking forward to the match-up, should be an exciting battle.

• 2 weeks later...

[h=1]Can Scott Quigg withstand Oscar Valdez’s power and win in USA?[/h]Scott Quigg is due to fight for the WBO World Featherweight Title against Oscar Valdez on 10th March at the Stub Hub Centre in Carson, California. This will be Scott’s first World Title fight at featherweight along with his first World Title fight under the tutelage of Hall of Fame trainer Freddy Roach.

Page not found - - Boxing News - Ring News24

• 1 month later...

[h=1]Will The Occasion Get To Scott Quigg In His World Title Challenge Against Oscar Valdez?[/h]England’s Scott Quigg will be challenging the hard hitting Oscar Valdez for his WBO featherweight crown on March 10th at the Stubhub Center in Carson. It will be Quigg’s first attempt at a world title at the featherweight limit. Valdez’ record is 23-0 with 18 KO’s while the challenger stands at 34-1, 25 KO’s and 2 draws.

Page not found - - Boxing News - Ring News24

I know literally nothing about Quigg. I didn't even see his loss to Frampton.

(I'm a shallow American, what can I tell you?)

- But Valdez is an incredible boxer, especially with his jab having gotten so much better in the last year. (Kudos to Manny Robles.) Not just technically excellent, but he showed great boxing IQ against Marriaga, completely changing his attack in the middle of the fight. Nice ability to occasionally switch to southpaw, too.

Plus, of course, he has excellent power.

His only weakness is a general tendency to throw everything at full speed, a trait that cost him in the Servania fight. - But we saw him varying his jab in the last few rounds of the Marriaga fight, so I think Robles has been working on this.

I think Valdez is one of the top 10 or so fighters in the game today.

So... somebody give me the skinny on Quigg.

I agree, I think Valdez is a heavy favorite here. Quigg winning would really surprise me, almost shock me. Not saying he is not good but he's just not of Valdez's caliber.