Roy Jones Jr Announces Farewell Fight

selij

Roy Jones Jr Announces Farewell Fight

http://theboxingtribune.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/roy-jones-sares.jpg

Future Hall of Famer Roy Jones Jr. (65-9, 47 KOs) has announced he will fight one last time on February 8 at the Pensacola Bay Center in his hometown of Pensacola, Florida. “It’s my last one for the bayfront … Civic Center, Pensacola, Bayfront Arena, whatever you want to call it. So if you want to come to see my last day in Pensacola, be there February 8. That’s my last one there,” said Jones in a video posted on social media. He will be 49 years old when he steps in the ring for the last time. The opponent has not been named. Tickets go on sale next week.

Source: Social Media

Re: Roy Jones Jr Announces Farewell Fight

I remember about 20 years ago in an HBO interview Roy said something along the lines of "I don't want to stay around, and hurt my legacy. I'll be done before i'm 33". Kind of amazing he stuck around this long. But at times it was painful to watch.

--- Roy only hung around this long so he wouldn't have to be inducted into the IBHOF with Popkins who will be a year ahead of him now.

Why? Even if Hopkins gets the glory for his late career, Jones can always say "I beat him"

Is it his last fight ever or last in Pensacola? Hopefully, the last of his career. His prime ended around 2004 - quite amazing how he has carried on this long. One of he best of my lifetime. 75 fights is a good number to call the end to a fantastic career.

Should have hung them up years ago I know he is hanging them up

Yes he should, but then he should have been banned for his unexplained failed drug test years ago, but for scandalous coverup operation to protect the star name.

Yes he should, but then he should have been banned for his unexplained failed drug test years ago, but for scandalous coverup operation to protect the star name.

Yep you are right there agree with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why's he carried on fighting so long anyway, is it a case of him craving the limelight, being deluded he's still "had it" all this time, or is it simply for monetory reasons?

Unfortunately I never knew of RJJ in his pomp and he had just been KO'd by Tarver as I properly started getting into boxing beyond the UK borders. Think he will be fondly remembered as a sublime talent who fought on for way too long, but he shouldn't be denied his clear greatness for not knowing when to call it a day, as many before him have been guilty of also.

Who says Roy's retiring?

Not Roy.

“It’s my last one for the bayfront … Civic Center, Pensacola, Bayfront Arena, whatever you want to call it. So if you want to come to see my last day in Pensacola, be there February 8. That’s my last one there.....”

Last fight, ever? Don't be silly.

This is the guy who very recently claimed he'd still be fighting from his coffin. You know he at least want to make it to 50 y-o.

But hey, Roy got his name back in the press again !

--- There you go again, off on another witch hunt when all you needed was a change of your underpants.

The test was a double positive when his opponent also tested positive, but this in the earliest days of commish testing and drug testing companies with no oversight or standard protocol. Both Roy and his opponent claimed to be taking legal, off the shelf nutritional supplements that resulted in a false positive. The commish and drug testing agency accepted that explanation that was entirely plausible. Little has been done since then to establish drug testing accountability as the commishes, ABC, and testing agencies continue to impugn their organizational credibility and testing integrity. See TUE, 50-0 as the poster child of a bad combination of stupidity and crookery as can happen with more than a half billion bucks at stake.

--- There you go again, off on another witch hunt when all you needed was a change of your underpants.

The test was a double positive when his opponent also tested positive, but this in the earliest days of commish testing and drug testing companies with no oversight or standard protocol. Both Roy and his opponent claimed to be taking legal, off the shelf nutritional supplements that resulted in a false positive. The commish and drug testing agency accepted that explanation that was entirely plausible. Little has been done since then to establish drug testing accountability as the commishes, ABC, and testing agencies continue to impugn their organizational credibility and testing integrity. See TUE, 50-0 as the poster child of a bad combination of stupidity and crookery as can happen with more than a half billion bucks at stake.

Try again, here's the Commissioner explaining that actually, Jones admitted taking Ripped Fuel, an anabolic steroid sold over the counter. He reached a financial settlement:Flashback: When Roy Jones Tested Positive

Yes they both tested positive for "Andro" which is what was infecting baseball when they were all hulking out. Two boxers, in an era before widespread drug testing, test positive for high levels of a testosterone precursor - imagine that!

Edited by gavpowell

Try again, here's the Commissioner explaining that actually, Jones admitted taking Ripped Fuel, an anabolic steroid sold over the counter. He reached a financial settlement:Flashback: When Roy Jones Tested Positive

Yes they both tested positive for "Andro" which is what was infecting baseball when they were all hulking out. Two boxers, in an era before widespread drug testing, test positive for high levels of a testosterone precursor - imagine that!

--- Like I stated, the only thing you needed to do was change your undies.

It's against US law to sell anobolic steroids without a doc script, something Lamont Peterson had, yet was accused of cheating. Go figure, or better yet, just change your undies and everything is fine.

Roy and his opponent tested positive for a crude early steroid test in the 90s, and the test results were never released. There was only the idiot commish commenting on the failed test about a year after the fight. The whole thing was a sham because of the illicit delay and also due to andro being legal and sold over the counter that was giving false positives to the testing results. I don't recall Roy had to pay any fine. Strenuous exercising, particularly heavy weight lifting stimulates testosterone greatly as I am here to testify to. It bothers me Gavvy that had I taken that test at any particular point in my adult life, I'd probably get accused by you as well due to elevated testosterone levels. I exhibited all the physical symptoms your average sillyboy simpleton could never understand. That's like asking a wet noodle to understand a medium rare T-Bone steak dinner. It ain't never gonna happen!

:smiley-signs097:

--- Like I stated, the only thing you needed to do was change your undies.

It's against US law to sell anobolic steroids without a doc script, something Lamont Peterson had, yet was accused of cheating. Go figure, or better yet, just change your undies and everything is fine.

It's not legally classified as an steroid, or wasn;t at that time, but it is classified as such by WADA. Your love of childish insults has never worked to distract me so stick to the issue. Jones and Hall both tested positive and couldn't explain the result; Jones admitted taking Ripped Fuel, but of course you know better than the guy from the commission at the time. No penalties were issue because of the law in the state of Indiana. And it was the year 2000,unless you're talking about a different fight in which he also failed a test? Try getting the basic facts before you start getting superior.

And I don't know how many more times we can all explain this to you: Nobody is remotely interested in your tall tales of the time you had the physique from the Charles Atlas adverts just by eating steak, or how you would have fared on a drugs test, or how you could eat 50 eggs. You are not a professional sportsman and you are not required to pass the test.

Now, would you like to take a run at mature and rational?

Edited by gavpowell

--- More like time to change your overly mature undies.

I only know what was mouthed out of the idiot commish as published by the press, the same as you, and you admit that Roy explained the result with Ripped Fuel, and then say he couldn't explain the results? How dumb is that? I could care less about what WADA says in the way of truth any more than what you say on drug testing when you clearly ignore the massive transgressions of drug testing agencies from their inception to this very day. In short, a certified crook alleging some one else is a crook without any compelling evidence smacks of common village idiocy far to prevalent in World history.