Why didn't Holmes get the Foreman fight?

The_budweiser

Last night I watched BoxNation and it had Larry Holmes vs Maurice Harris and they kept speaking about Holmes vs Foreman - I was wondering why the fight didn't take place?

TV made it out as if it would of been a big pay day for both. Having checked Boxrec Foreman retired 7 months later.

Surprised after checking their records that Holmes (65-6-0) - Harris (9-8-2) was an acceptable match up and a supporting fight.

Holmes did well especially at the age of 47-years-old. He won a split decision.

Re: Why didn't Holmes get the Foreman fight?

--- Gosh, Bud, I hope you're doing better and can eventually remember me talking of this way back.

If not, Frank does a pretty fair overall job of making Lardy look like the liar he's always been. I would add a key factor in Foreman's defeat to Ali was that Saddler was in tight with Ali and his camp and giving them tips on how to beat him. then the matter of George being cut and not being able to take sparring a month before they met in the ring. Also Saddler was accused of slipping George drugged water bottle, and long before I ever heard that, when I first saw the fight, I immediately felt like he'd been drugged as he was sluggish and lurching like he was off balance and trying to find his coordination.

The only time they could've actually fought was when both had hit their 50s, but the Houston promoter couldn't come up with George's guarantee, quite modest for a fighter of his money making stature, and Lardy thought he should do it for the peanuts he made in his career. Always picked George every day of the week and twice on Sundays, because the giant sucking sound we heard when he and his peers, Ali, Norton, and Frazier retired, well, that suck was Lardy filling the vacuum of all that all time greatness no longer available to fight.