Eubank vs Groves - Who wins? [SPOILERS]

The_budweiser

It took seven minutes to sell out the Ali Trophy semi-final bout between WBA Super World Champion George Groves (27-3, 20 KOs) and IBO-Champ Chris Eubank Jr. (26-1,20 KOs) at the Manchester Arena on February 17, 2018.

Europe’s largest purpose-built indoor arena will be at capacity to witness what promises to be the biggest Super Middleweight night in years.

“This is a sensational start to the semi-finals of the World Boxing Super Series and the quest for the Muhammad Ali Trophy,” said Roberto Dalmiglio, Comosa’s CEO.

Page not found - - Boxing News - Ring News24

Re: Eubank vs Groves - Who wins?

I agree with selij. Eubank hasn't fought anyone as good as Groves. Eubank will try to use his speed early on and maybe have a few good rounds, but I think Groves will get to him and take over in the second half of the fight.

There's still time for Eubank to pull out before the fight... :whistle:

I think it depends on how Groves fights. Sometimes he's uses his excellent counterpunching skills, but in other fights he mostly turns into a swarmer. I think he'd better be on his back foot against Eubank.

Eubank is easy to hate, but IMO he's a lot better than Selij seems to think. He's been improving significantly in every fight, and seems nearly a complete package at this point, including vastly-improved defense. Power-wise, I'd say they're about even. I might even give the edge to Eubank, who lately has learned to pick his punches more carefully and also sit down on them better.

If George Groves can land cleanly like he did against Carl Froch in the first fight then I can't see Eubank surviving or recovering from such a shot.

That being said, it's hard to land a shot clean on Eubank as he is a fighter who has a lot of movement. He works in and out with speed. If you look at the Froch fight, I wouldn't say Froch was a better mover than Eubank and Groves couldn't get his shots off like he would of liked in the second fight.

I'm picking Eubank here to win on points as long as he keeps moving and boxes smart. I just hope he doesn't lead with the left hook or it could be lights out.

Well Eubanks' old man was on TalkSPORT again this morning, and embarrassing himself, AGAIN!

Presenter Alan Brazil tried to get his opinion on Tyson Fury, as he has been the focus of a discussion with Ricky Hatton the day before, but Chris Snr said "I'm only on to talk about jr".....

When pushed for an answer on it he started his mundane philosophical-like rambling about Fury only really achieving "apprentice" level before he lost it. When Brazil countered that he beat Wlad which was an achievement Eubank said this is why he doesn't want to talk about anyone else because people might not like his opinion, then he said Fury had broken the law so he doesn't want to say any more on it and they should move on....

At this point Brazil said "Okay I will move onto the travel.....goodbye Chris 8:43..."

Then we hear Chris ask "aren't you going to play me out, Alan?"

"I can't Chris, we have to do the travel...8:43"

Here's the clip of it: Chris Eubank Snr brands Tyson Fury an 'apprentice' as former heavyweight world champion prepares for ring return | talkSPORT

:haha:

It's really cringeworthy shit!! They had him on about a month back in an equally awkward interview and I think Joey Barton was involved and there was a bit of an arguement or something.

Dunno why they get him on really!

Well Eubanks' old man was on TalkSPORT again this morning, and embarrassing himself, AGAIN!

Presenter Alan Brazil tried to get his opinion on Tyson Fury, as he has been the focus of a discussion with Ricky Hatton the day before, but Chris Snr said "I'm only on to talk about jr".....

When pushed for an answer on it he started his mundane philosophical-like rambling about Fury only really achieving "apprentice" level before he lost it. When Brazil countered that he beat Wlad which was an achievement Eubank said this is why he doesn't want to talk about anyone else because people might not like his opinion, then he said Fury had broken the law so he doesn't want to say any more on it and they should move on....

At this point Brazil said "Okay I will move onto the travel.....goodbye Chris 8:43..."

Then we hear Chris ask "aren't you going to play me out, Alan?"

"I can't Chris, we have to do the travel...8:43"

Here's the clip of it: Chris Eubank Snr brands Tyson Fury an 'apprentice' as former heavyweight world champion prepares for ring return | talkSPORT

:haha:

It's really cringeworthy shit!! They had him on about a month back in an equally awkward interview and I think Joey Barton was involved and there was a bit of an arguement or something.

Dunno why they get him on really!

I don't think he doesn't like talking about other fighters. I think it's the fact that Joshua is a biggest house hold name that pisses him off as if the Eubank's are the only name that should he talked about and get the publicity, he's a Kardashian wannabee :mlol:

See his recent tweets? He's at his usual bullshit again

[TWEET]934862187318956035[/TWEET]

I think it depends on how Groves fights. Sometimes he's uses his excellent counterpunching skills, but in other fights he mostly turns into a swarmer. I think he'd better be on his back foot against Eubank.

Eubank is easy to hate, but IMO he's a lot better than Selij seems to think. He's been improving significantly in every fight, and seems nearly a complete package at this point, including vastly-improved defense. Power-wise, I'd say they're about even. I might even give the edge to Eubank, who lately has learned to pick his punches more carefully and also sit down on them better.

I agree. People still knock him for losing to Saunders, but he has improved significantly since then. In his last outings against Abraham and Yildirim he was nothing short of impressive. He destroyed Yildirim easily, a guy who before that was considered one of the better contenders in the division. I think it's a 50-50 fight and it will definitely be close, but I lean slightly towards Eubank. Groves will bring it all but he has a tendency to spend himself too early and I think Eubank will pace himself and then come on strong in the late rounds to win. Eubank by a close decision.

They had him on about a month back in an equally awkward interview and I think Joey Barton was involved and there was a bit of an arguement or something

Barton was Alan's studio guest that morning and TBH, I think Barton has some sort of Tourettes - he HAS to say something totally left-field or ultra-controversial every 15 mins or so for effect no matter what subject he's going on about.

The interview started normally and then Barton starting banging on about "is Chris Jr really PPV worthy" and Snr replied "sorry? Whats your name again?" Basically belittling Barton. Then Snr said "look Joey its £10 to see someone who has trained all their life to get where they are today with blood, sweat and tears in the gym - its £10 - trust me you will get over it".

After another couple of questions from Alan, Barton (now peeved, and in Tourettes mode) interjected again and said something along the lines of "me and my mates didn't even know it was on last Saturday, everyone's heard of Sky Box Office but ITV Box Office? Really?" With that Snr hung up.

Barton then went into defensive mode, having made Alan look a cunt - and tried to explain himself that the point he was trying to make was that maybe the Eubanks aren't getting their fair share of advertising/publicity £ from the large ITV pot and that that's the reason no one knew it was on.

I like both fighters and this is a Great match-up. Eubank has surprised me - he's better than I thought he could be. Groves has experience but, despite, changing trainers he's never managed his stamina issues. He can't be busy for 12 rounds. It'll be interesting to see if Eubank can cope with George's power and we don't know til he gets hit. Talent wise Eubank has the skills.

I'm picking Eubank by stoppage in the later rounds - 8-12.

I like both fighters and this is a Great match-up. Eubank has surprised me - he's better than I thought he could be. Groves has experience but, despite, changing trainers he's never managed his stamina issues. He can't be busy for 12 rounds. It'll be interesting to see if Eubank can cope with George's power and we don't know til he gets hit. Talent wise Eubank has the skills.

I'm picking Eubank by stoppage in the later rounds - 8-12.

I'll go with this, also.

I think Groves has a bit of a chip on his shoulder, and will want to go for a KO win, but Eubank is hard to hit, so in the late rounds, tired and frustrated, Groves will start to take foolish chances and get sloppy.

- And Eubank does seem to have "1 punch" power these days.

Barton was Alan's studio guest that morning and TBH, I think Barton has some sort of Tourettes - he HAS to say something totally left-field or ultra-controversial every 15 mins or so for effect no matter what subject he's going on about.

The interview started normally and then Barton starting banging on about "is Chris Jr really PPV worthy" and Snr replied "sorry? Whats your name again?" Basically belittling Barton. Then Snr said "look Joey its £10 to see someone who has trained all their life to get where they are today with blood, sweat and tears in the gym - its £10 - trust me you will get over it".

After another couple of questions from Alan, Barton (now peeved, and in Tourettes mode) interjected again and said something along the lines of "me and my mates didn't even know it was on last Saturday, everyone's heard of Sky Box Office but ITV Box Office? Really?" With that Snr hung up.

Barton then went into defensive mode, having made Alan look a cunt - and tried to explain himself that the point he was trying to make was that maybe the Eubanks aren't getting their fair share of advertising/publicity £ from the large ITV pot and that that's the reason no one knew it was on.

Cheers Sel, I didn't hear the spat at the time but read of it and it was mentioned on the station in the following days. Talksport is no different to the newspaper red tops in that they are a wind up station and post clickbait. The hosts will always come up with some drivel to get callers in, or some clicks from twitter etc. I agree Joey Barton most likely intentionally says things knowing it will get some bites, and because he's Joey Barton, with his form of past indiscretions it will gain even more publicity and he clearly craves the attention.

Eubank Snr needs to take note of how Nigel Benn has stepped back and let Conor be his own man. I liked Snr as a boxer, but some of the shite he spouts is embarrassing, whether it's for publicity or not.

Totally agree with this. Like chalk and cheese Eubank and Benn. Nigel says things exactly how a father should be, whereas Eubank, at every possible point he can has to say how god a father he is.

• 2 months later...

Re: Eubank vs Groves - Who wins? [spoilerS]

WEIGH-IN:

I don't know why some folks think Groves is bigger than Eubank. He's clearly not.

Groves has slightly larger biceps, but Eubank has a much more powerful chest, and wider shoulders (hence a longer reach.)

Eubank also has faster hands, which of course contributes a lot to punch power.

I'm now even more convinced that Jr will take this one.

Both fighters looked nervous in the opening round and showed each other too much respect. It’s didn’t take either long to settle down but it was Groves who the pace suited more and Eubank in the first 6-7 rounds wasn’t letting his hands go anywhere near enough, except from the odd rare flurry which wasn’t going to win him the rounds or the fight.

There was an accidental head clash that opened up a cut above Eubank’s right eye in round three. Groves boxed well, judging distance and nullifying Eubank’s work at close quarters. Eubank was giving Groves too much respect and waiting too long in the first 6-7 rounds before letting his hands go.

After six rounds, I have it 5-1 in Groves favour. I just don't get why Eubank is chasing Groves? Groves with little movement is just inviting Eubank on and smothering his work while landing his own. Eubanks strength is eye catching flurries and his footwork and so far he isn't using it to the best of his ability. Eubank should be moving and letting Groves chase him around the ring.

From the sixth round onwards Eubank tried but he looked frustrated and desperate with much of his work. Groves felt a lot of Eubank’s best shots in second half of the fight and walked through his work. A poor round 12 on another night could have cost Groves the fight.

Chris Eubank Jr's fight to come out his dad’s shadow? He isn't even good enough to be his dads sparring partner!

Time to get rid of the circus act and your dad and get a trainer like Rob McCracken and start from scratch.

Judges cards should of been wider!

It was a flashy fight, but with very little substance.

Both men showed excellent defense, but sadly, neither man really went for it very much.

The dick-riding commentators were completely off base. Groves wasn't winning the fight in any meaningful way. They were all "Gee, wow, the fight is going exactly how Groves wants it." Well, yeah, with Groves fighting off his back foot 90% of the time, how else could it go? But Groves failed to land many meaningful punches, whereas Jr landed a TON of partially-blocked shots.

I wouldn't want to bother actually scoring this fight, but in my STRONG opinion, Eubank won by at least a few rounds. Groves simply didn't land enough. Not even close, really.

I also don't really give a fuck, because once again we saw Eubank with no plan B whatsoever. Not a single adjustment throughout the entire fight, other than turning up the volume in the second half. That boy needs a new trainer, there's just no way around it.

Well, the powers-that-be got their huge-selling British final bout. I guess their happy.

It was a flashy fight, but with very little substance.

Both men showed excellent defense, but sadly, neither man really went for it very much.

The dick-riding commentators were completely off base. Groves wasn't winning the fight in any meaningful way. They were all "Gee, wow, the fight is going exactly how Groves wants it." Well, yeah, with Groves fighting off his back foot 90% of the time, how else could it go? But Groves failed to land many meaningful punches, whereas Jr landed a TON of partially-blocked shots.

I wouldn't want to bother actually scoring this fight, but in my STRONG opinion, Eubank won by at least a few rounds. Groves simply didn't land enough. Not even close, really.

I also don't really give a fuck, because once again we saw Eubank with no plan B whatsoever. Not a single adjustment throughout the entire fight, other than turning up the volume in the second half. That boy needs a new trainer, there's just no way around it.

Well, the powers-that-be got their huge-selling British final bout. I guess their happy.

I had it a lot wider than the judges cards. Eubank wasn't landing anywhere near enough and was wild and desperate. Groves game plan was perfect land his shots and tie Eubank up on the inside. We must of been watching different fights. The commentators after the fight were spot on for me, Eubank isn't at this level.