[SPOILER] Beterbiev v Koelling

pittbox

I feel somehow tricked about the fact that such a puncher as Beterbiev didn't even hurt a mediocre Koelling through 10 rounds. And the last round clearly showed that little step on the gas, more activity and Koelling trickiness, defence and caution wasn't even that good as it had looked earlier. Of course, Beterbiev has a title, but I feel that he could have won it in 1-2 rounds with his standard level of agression. He played it very safe and I think too safe.

Re:

Beterbiev v Koelling

Funny how two different real boxing guys can see it so differently.

Sat night, Beterbiev actually impressed me for the first time:

I've never been a huge Beterbiev fan, despite his power. He's one-dimensional in offense, and has always been SERIOUSLY lacking in defense.

However, Sat night I thought his defense looked significantly better than in the past. Sure, it was against an opponent who only came to survive, but Beterbiev showed great patience, and terrific balance / defensive footwork. He's clearly been working on this. In the past he would often lean in and thrown the kitchen sink, leaving his head exposed.

Sure, Koeling was a safe target, and Artur probably COULD have taken him out at any time, but it looked to me like he was literally practicing in there, getting ready for the more dangerous & talented opponents to come. Plus, he got in 12 rounds, which is something he never experienced before in an actual fight. Now he knows he can do it, while also using heavy footwork. That's an important mental checkbox which he just ticked.

He's still painfully one-dimensional in his attack, though.

Edited by Cableaddict