Wilder Is "Part Larry Holmes, Part Ali, Part Tyson"

gavpowell

Congratulations Cable, you're no longer the least sane Deontay Wilder supporter!

Mauricio Sulaiman says "I have not seen a heavyweight throw the jab with such sharpness and precision since Larry Holmes...this past Saturday night I saw three elements from legendary Hall of Famers Ali, Holmes, and Tyson – all in one – and the heavyweight division is back. On Saturday night I saw three elements from legendary Hall of Famers Ali, Holmes, and Tyson – all in one – and the heavyweight division is back."

WBC Prez on Wilder's Win: I Saw Ali, Tyson, Holmes - All in One! - Boxing News

He even says Stiverne was timing Wilder's jab and moving his head - I must have missed that between him not throwing any punches of his own and falling over.

• Like 2

Re: Wilder Is "Part Larry Holmes, Part Ali, Part Tyson"

We shouldn't be surprised at this Gavlar, a last ditch attempt by Sulaiman to hype up the WBC champ before the inevitable happens. After all, the WBC belt has always been - historically - the belt to own - hence the rhetoric.

We shouldn't be surprised at this Gavlar, a last ditch attempt by Sulaiman to hype up the WBC champ before the inevitable happens. After all, the WBC belt has always been - historically - the belt to own - hence the rhetoric.

I've never understood that - I think Froch or Haye was the first person I saw praising the WBC in particular, but the WBA is the original so why is that not the ultimate prize?

You have only got to look back in recent history at the K's "legacy". Vitaly - generally accepted as the more skilled of the 2 brothers retaining the prized WBC belt - and Wlad retaining all the others.

Congratulations Cable, you're no longer the least sane Deontay Wilder supporter!

Well, that's a pretty safe bet, since as I've written many times over the last few years, I'm no longer a Wilder supporter at all.

I mean, DUH.

IMO you are not a world champ until you have won (at any weight) - the WBC World belt - or maybe I'm just old school? :noidea:

Eubank Snr was quite happy to skulk behind a nothing-belt for his entire career having only a couple of times fought abroad, never once in USA for a "mans belt" - just the same as he's bringing his son up to do - IBO? FFS? - get amongst em Jr and have a fight! Sack your old man off....

IMO you are not a world champ until you have won (at any weight) - the WBC World belt - or maybe I'm just old school?.

I think the belt is irrelevant really - the WBC is vaunted because it has a pedigree - if a great fighter hangs onto an IBO belt, maybe it could happen to the IBO too? Likewise the WBC have been happy to award belts purely for being Mexican or called Chavez, so how much credibility do they carry?

So Wladimir Klitschko's entire career was a write-off, but Samuel Peter's was a huge success?

Don't get your logic Gavlar? Peter fought an eliminator for the WBC belt, then an interim, then won it - and then lost it to Vitaly :noidea:

But you must see his endeavour? He WANTED that WBC belt... as its THE belt.

Addendum: yes Wlad won fuckall and defended fuckall IMO (and wouldn't have even managed that without a lax German drug testing regime) as did Eubank Snr (not with gear but with the mickey-mouse WBO)

Old saying in this game: alphabet belt holder is NOT a world champion

Don't get your logic Gavlar? Peter fought an eliminator for the WBC belt, then an interim, then won it - and then lost it to Vitaly :noidea:

Because while Peter and even Vitali were tossing around beating fringe-level guys for the WBC title, Wlad was cleaning out the division. To me, the belt is irrelevant if one guy is fighting all comers.

--- Stiverne was moving his blockhead going forward as Deyonce wisely moved backward for the 2nd minute of the fight.

Thing is, he wasn't slipping punches because Deyonce barely threw any. It wasn't until the last minute that any significant punches were thrown other than a few jabs by Deyonce in the early going. Time to let it go. It was always gonna be another joke short notice TBA fight like all his fights.

--- Stiverne was moving his blockhead going forward as Deyonce wisely moved backward for the 2nd minute of the fight.

Thing is, he wasn't slipping punches because Deyonce barely threw any..

And when they were thrown, Stiverne ate any he didn't block with his gloves.

Wilder is now trying to market the Joshua fight being in the UK as cowardice "Oh sure, I'll come to your safe haven and beat you if you won't come to the real home of boxing, which is America"Apparently that's where the money is, so one wonders why Wilder hasn't earned much of it.

I'd call his bluff and say "Alright Deontay, you can do the promotion, you can organise it all, we'll do it in America. Let us know how you get on, eh? And then if you decide you're too busy, there's always 80,000 people at Wembley as a lesser option."

What's the US equivalent of Wembley in terms of capacity? Yankee Stadium?

AJ's a relative unknown/nobody in USA. They would do well to sell out the T-Mobile (Vegas 20,000).

There are hundreds of venues that hold 80,000+ but none would sell out like they do in the UK. Simples.

AJ's a relative unknown/nobody in USA. They would do well to sell out the T-Mobile (Vegas 20,000).

There are hundreds of venues that hold 80,000+ but none would sell out like they do in the UK. Simples.

I wonder whether Joshua's at the level where you might find he gets fans to travel to support. It's possible Joshua - Wilder would be enough of an event, and Joshua has enough of a profile/fanbase in the UK, that you might get significant Brits crossing the pond to make a dent in that 20,000.

I've never understood that - I think Froch or Haye was the first person I saw praising the WBC in particular, but the WBA is the original so why is that not the ultimate prize?

Nice looking belt! :haha:

But you must see his endeavour? He WANTED that WBC belt... as its THE belt.

Addendum: yes Wlad won fuckall and defended fuckall IMO (and wouldn't have even managed that without a lax German drug testing regime) as did Eubank Snr (not with gear but with the mickey-mouse WBO)

I aint too sure where the WBC prestige comes from, but I recall around 2005(ish) when I was getting into boxing in a big way that their rankings and champions seemed like the correct one for the divisons for the most part, whereas the other orgs were scrabbling around with shit taking up half of their top 10s.

Of course it has since gone the way of other organisations with shoddyness and hanging their arses out to promoters and TV companies.

But another point, given the very wayward way these ABCs rank fighters, what if it's someones dream to get that title, but despite their showing the WBC doesn't boost them in their rankings, but say the WBA does. If this fighter is then going for elimination fights for the WBA the WBC will likely be unwilling to rank them as they tend not to rate other world title holders.

Of course we do see some unified divisions, but it wouldn't surprise me if these bodies try their best to not rank fighters at the upper echoleons of the other orgs rankings. And its madness!!

That's where the Ring title became THE one look at since they were "unbias" in their ratings. At least for a time.

Because while Peter and even Vitali were tossing around beating fringe-level guys for the WBC title, Wlad was cleaning out the division. To me, the belt is irrelevant if one guy is fighting all comers.

We've been saying for years how irrelevant the titles are, espcially since there can be 4 recognised world champions in any 1 division, yet it is still all about that prize. It sells unfortunately.

Since the biggest PPVs / gate figures have always been the big Vegas fights then the money is definitely over there, and it doesn't need to be a giant stadium to make the coin.

In that regard AJ should probably call his bluff and say he will go over there for the fight. It would have been the perfect fight to have for him at Wembley. His legacy fight, infront of a record crowd. The prestige of it, the defining moment of his life. Against a big, powerful, brash American banger.

But again money talks, and he could still hold out for a Wembley fight against someone else in future. Whether Fury could get back to his best and that could happen. Or in a few years time if there is a new kid on the block (if someone like Dubois grows into a new KO monster for example).

--- Let's be clear, Josh is probably better known and more respected in the US than Deyonce.

Everyone wants that fight, but Deyonce wouldn't even earn the $8million Charles Martin earned. That was only a gimmick for Josh to get his grubbies on a title, and now he's in the driver's seat and all respect and biggest money has to go through him.

--- Let's be clear, Josh is probably better known and more respected in the US than Deyonce.

Everyone wants that fight, but Deyonce wouldn't even earn the $8million Charles Martin earned. That was only a gimmick for Josh to get his grubbies on a title, and now he's in the driver's seat and all respect and biggest money has to go through him.

On the BBC article where "Big" Eddie is saying Joshua/Wilder WILL happen in 2018 there is apparently a video where they are asking people in NYC if they recognise Wilders name. I haven't seen it as the video doesn't appear on the article:

"Speaking to IFL TV, Hearn pointed to what he perceives as Wilder's limited profile in the United States by asking people on a New York street if they recognised the 32-year-old's name."

On the BBC article where "Big" Eddie is saying Joshua/Wilder WILL happen in 2018 there is apparently a video where they are asking people in NYC if they recognise Wilders name. I haven't seen it as the video doesn't appear on the article:

"Speaking to IFL TV, Hearn pointed to what he perceives as Wilder's limited profile in the United States by asking people on a New York street if they recognised the 32-year-old's name."

This, which is a part of the interview.

Cheers Rob, quite a good case in point Hearn makes there, but his assessment that 9 or 10 out of 10 people on a UK street would know who Anthony Joshua is also way off the mark. Maybe half, if that!

• 3 years later...