[SPOILERS!] Chisora vs Kabayel - result & discussion

Cableaddict

This might actually be the most interesting fight of the weekend.

Chisora was never destined for greatness, but He's probably still tough and relentless, a real live dog and one of the top gatekeepers at this point.

The interest of course lies with undefeated, 25 year old Agit Kabayel. He of course hasn't fought a single known opponent, but his last two bouts were against guys with very respectable records. Plus, 16 (12) - 0 'aint hay, even against journeymen.

Evidently he only had 5 fights as an amateur.

What else do we know about this guy? Does he have the potential to hang with the big boys, or is this actually a meaningless fight?

Edited by Cableaddict

re: Chisora vs Kabayel - result & discussion

This is about all you can find on Da' Toob:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxtffnxzz4w

He doesn't look too bad, for a fairly inexperienced guy. His output is too low, but at least he's careful. He mostly fights too stationary, but occasionally he kinda' does the Tyson peekaboo thing, though without Mikes lovely dips & explosive punches. He should do that in every round, in which case he'd be a lot more dangerous.

Still, he's clearly thinking defense, he's in great condition, and he has very respectable power.

Edited by Cableaddict

OK, I found this highlights vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2eJxw6SY5w

I typically hate such vids, for obvious reasons, but at least we can see that Kabayel really does have a good sense of defense, even when attacking.

Also, he has a VERY nice body attack, typically in flurries, and again keeping his head safe. That's no small thing.

It all going to be about his output, which I'm afraid might not be enough against someon like Chisora, if it goes to the cards. Then again, Chisora doesn't protect his body very well, so a decent chance Kabayel can take him out.

This is about all you can find on Da' Toob:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxtffnxzz4w

One of his worst fights. This could've gone either way. I think he looked better in last two bouts:

https://ok.ru/video/236441373352

Unfortunately, good quality rip of Hubeaux' fight is hard to find, but I think it may have been uploaded on forum.

He's also the author of one of the fastest KOs ever

He's also the author of one of the fastest KOs ever

LOL. That was a 2 1/2 reverse gainer off the 10 meter board, if I ever saw one.

Even some Chinese heavyweights have more credible wins than that one. :laugh:

- Not a mark against Kabayel, of course, just his management. I agree he looked pretty good against Lewendowsky.

Edited by Cableaddict

Anyway, I expect a very good bout. Similiar styles, similar height, similiar weight ... I think Chisora is like 60-70 % favorite for me. To clarify last two opponents of Kabayel:

- Lewandowski lost his last fight by KO against relatively unknown Timur Stark (9-2-0)

- Herve Hubeaux once lost a 10 round decision against a Toni Visic who had a not very intimidating record of 4-6-1, now 20-22-21. He just got a majority decision win in the rematch. All his other wins were against bums.

So, his opponents probably look better on paper. I actually expected Kabayel to KO Hubeaux, so just a decision win was a slight disappointment for me.

I think the proper running order of the show looks like that:

- McDonnell v Solis

- Quigg v Yefimovich

- Kabayel v Chisora

- Bivol v Broadhurst

Re: Chisora vs Kabayel - result & discussion

POST FIGHT DISCUSSION -

Well that sure was underwhelming.

Forgetting the ugly first 2 rounds, in which Chisora just clinched and held like it was the end of a 15 rounder, the fight was pretty even.

Chisora definitely came to fight, starting in round 3, but Kabayel really does have excellent defense and was able to shut him down.

Unfortunately, Kabayel's output was even lower than I had feared. He did fuck all for 11 rounds, then decided to actually fight in the 12th. - Then in that last round, Kabayel seemed desperate (maybe his corner felt he had thrown the fight way) so he started leaning forward, throwing reallt foolish punches, and Chisora was able to tee-off on his face, almost at will.

Feh. I don't even know if the right man won. Then again, fuck Derek Chisora. Can't stand the chump & glad he got the loss.

--------------------------

Kabayel could become a very good gatekeeper for the other heavies on their way up, IF he can up his output and learn a few new tricks offensively. His current "meat & potatoes" offense is just not going to cut it as he steps up.

Time to find a new trainer, Agit. Pronto.

Edited by Cableaddict

Re: [spoilerS!] Chisora vs Kabayel - result & discussion

I have to re-watch it tomorrow. I've watched it with the russian commentary and I'm shocked that probably all the english speaking media says that Chisora lost it big... It looks to me like he deserved an edge. I don't think Kabayel outlanded Chisora in majority of rounds and it's basically 99% of what I look for in scoring. Yeah, "Del Boy" looked bad, but Kabayel just wasn't landing that much. I have to watch it carefully again.

What's next for Chisora?

Probably some unknown fighter again with little experience, if his fights after his recent losses are to go by.

After the Dillian Whyte loss he faced Robert Filipovic 4 2.

After Kubrat Pulev he faced Drazan Janjanin 13 7

He's 33 now. Don't see a bright future for Chisora. Maybe he can go after the British? or try get a few big pay days before retirement.

Probably some unknown fighter again with little experience, if his fights after his recent losses are to go by.

After the Dillian Whyte loss he faced Robert Filipovic 4 2.

After Kubrat Pulev he faced Drazan Janjanin 13 7

He's 33 now. Don't see a bright future for Chisora. Maybe he can go after the British? or try get a few big pay days before retirement.

Probably go into the Danny Williams mould of veteran jobber, fighting on obscure cards around Europe and being fodder for up and coming talent.

Probably go into the Danny Williams mould of veteran jobber, fighting on obscure cards around Europe and being fodder for up and coming talent.

Honestly, I don't think he should be compared to Williams. Chisora has his ups and downs since the beginning of his career:

- clear loss in 2011 to Fury. Some already crossed him out after this fight.

- he looks good in his two losses against Helenius (robbery) and Klitchko.

- first KO lose against Haye doesn't help his prospects

- he looks terrible against mediocre Hector Avila in his comeback fight

- has three KO wins in a row agaisnt fighters with good record, but not very big heart (Scott, Gerber, Pala)

- beats "Kingpin" Johnson by points

- looks absolutely terrible against Fury, beats few bums and doesn't bring anything interesting against Pulev

- improves him image with a good performance against Whyte

That's a basic highlight of Chisora's career. I' ve bolded moments when acoording to me, he was in the same place as today. When Williams started to sell out on obscure cards he was after

KO loss from Sosnowski, prizefighter beating from unknown Carl Baker and quick KO from Chisora. If Chisora loses against someone like Sexton who came back with this British title win, then I can say that there's no hope for him. Chisora isn't that old and is still quite resilient (practically just one KO loss). I wouldn't be surprised if I see him in EBU fight once again. The problem with Chisora is that people expect far too much from him since this bout against Klitchko. He's that kind of fighter who is dependent on the style of the opponent. I'd call him a gatekeeper, but he's not a top 10 guy, and I don't think he ever was.

Point Chisora's performancea considered as great?

- Helenius

- Klitchko (which is of course Disputable)

- Whyte

?

Two of them took place more than five years ago and we still care about Chisora. This is why I think he's far from being finished. He just has to encounter a fighter who matches his style and wouldn't use his jab or ring movement that much.

Honestly, I don't think he should be compared to Williams. Chisora has his ups and downs since the beginning of his career:

- clear loss in 2011 to Fury. Some already crossed him out after this fight.

- he looks good in his two losses against Helenius (robbery) and Klitchko.

- first KO lose against Haye doesn't help his prospects

- he looks terrible against mediocre Hector Avila in his comeback fight

- has three KO wins in a row agaisnt fighters with good record, but not very big heart (Scott, Gerber, Pala)

- beats "Kingpin" Johnson by points

- looks absolutely terrible against Fury, beats few bums and doesn't bring anything interesting against Pulev

- improves him image with a good performance against Whyte

That's a basic highlight of Chisora's career. I' ve bolded moments when acoording to me, he was in the same place as today. When Williams started to sell out on obscure cards he was after

KO loss from Sosnowski, prizefighter beating from unknown Carl Baker and quick KO from Chisora. If Chisora loses against someone like Sexton who came back with this British title win, then I can say that there's no hope for him. Chisora isn't that old and is still quite resilient (practically just one KO loss). I wouldn't be surprised if I see him in EBU fight once again. The problem with Chisora is that people expect far too much from him since this bout against Klitchko. He's that kind of fighter who is dependent on the style of the opponent. I'd call him a gatekeeper, but he's not a top 10 guy, and I don't think he ever was.

Point Chisora's performancea considered as great?

- Helenius

- Klitchko (which is of course Disputable)

- Whyte

?

Two of them took place more than five years ago and we still care about Chisora. This is why I think he's far from being finished. He just has to encounter a fighter who matches his style and wouldn't use his jab or ring movement that much.

Great post and I agree and he is at a critical stage in his career. My point was that he is on the cusp of becoming what Danny Williams became if he doesn't get a decent win while looking better than okay in the process.

Infact I just checked his record and seriously didn't realise he is already at 8 losses. Didn't realise it was that many.

I really can't see him finding that win much needed win in all honesty, especially since the division is so flat anyway and he isn;t even in the top 20 of it. Who is he gonna actually beat where people will give a shit about or any credit for? I agree that he is, for now, a gatekeeper for the division. He will provide any upcomer a stern, awkward test, but another couple of losses and he is definitely in journeyman territory.

I don't think he is in love with the sport, nor has much hunger for it anymore, and while he hasn't suffered any devastating losses in terms of health damaging wise, he does seem very road worn and disinterested as a fighter. But lets face it, he isn't someone who'll likely have a retirement plan. He knows nothing else other than fighting. He isn't trainer material, so his means of income will be to keep on fighting for a long while yet.

Thought it was the right result. Tyson Fury and Eddie Hearn, unsurprisingly, thought Dereck won. Kayabal looked decent and followed a good game plan. Chisora has blown any real chance of a rematch with Whyte. Though both boxers were asking way too much and Hearn didn't think it PPV worthy (before this defeat).

Chisora will still get decent fights but think he has already hit the heights of his career, which has seen highs and lows (as excellently laid-out by pittbox). He could be a good test for Hughie Fury, who needs to learn to add offense to his defensive instincts.