[SPOILERS] Joshua-Takam Result

gavpowell

Well apart from the silly stoppage at the end, this was a very informative, very entertaining bout. Joshua showed his temperament when a Takam headbutt smashed his nose in the second round, Takam showed his when dealing with multiple lacerations to the face soon after, and the pair of them showed a willingness to engage that was refreshing.

Takam tried his best but never really threatened even when landing some heavy-looking shots to the head and body in the later rounds. Joshua was breathing heavily but showed no signs of being affected by the extra weight, though it was hardly a frenetic pace. The stoppage was totally unnecessary, as Takam was bobbing and weaving away from the shots at the time the referee called a halt. On the other hand, any talk of a rematch should be swiftly stamped on - this is essentially no different to Wilder-Stiverne.

Joshua said all the right things afterwards, but also said he won't give up any of the belts easily. On the one hand that seems an invitation to a series of tedious mandatories, on the other hand the division is so weak it's hardly going to matter.

Re: Joshua-Takam Result

I thought Sky's commentary was hilarious when they included Fury in the same bracket as Joshua as "The most feared man in the heavyweight division" - nobody has ever feared Tyson Fury.
Fury probably doesn't want to engage Joshua - his inactivity is killing him.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I thought Sky's commentary was hilarious when they included Fury in the same bracket as Joshua as "The most feared man in the heavyweight division" - nobody has ever feared Tyson Fury.

Luckily I had a stream with Showtime commentators. :cool: And they were not happy with the stoppage. Can always count on Paulie M to tell it like it is. :thumb:That was a bad, almost terrible, stoppage. Takam came to fight, he made Joshua work hard, what more can we ask for? Next, please! Let it be Wilder the smugface. :boxing1:

Re: [spoilerS] Joshua-Takam Result

that Whyte v Helenius fight? Finn didn't try anything! Just basically came in to take his money.

The Finn has been a one-dimensional slugger his entire career, which is why he really lost to Chisora - I was expecting Whyte to be more impressive though, and suspect he's also found his level.

The Finn has been a one-dimensional slugger his entire career, which is why he really lost to Chisora - I was expecting Whyte to be more impressive though, and suspect he's also found his level.

Sure, but Helenius can punch even if he has a lot of flaws. It doesn't seem that hard to get past Whyte's defense and he didn't evet try!

Sure, but Helenius can punch even if he has a lot of flaws. It doesn't seem that hard to get past Whyte's defense and he didn't evet try!

He can punch a bit, I don't think his power has ever been as good as it looked originally - the number of KOs is inversely proportional to the number of decent opponents.

Good learning fight and I am very excited to see where AJ's career goes from here. How often does the IBF stipulate their champions to take on mandatories, anyone know?

They give you a year from winning the title, then 9 months for each defence.

He can punch a bit, I don't think his power has ever been as good as it looked originally - the number of KOs is inversely proportional to the number of decent opponents.

And his best ko's came against guys that were washed up-Brewster, Peter, Lyakhovich. I mean, those are the best fighters he has koed.

And his best ko's came against guys that were washed up-Brewster, Peter, Lyakhovich. I mean, those are the best fighters he has koed.

Yeah, the White Wolf was boxing his ears off but ran out of stamina and eventually ran into a big shot from Helenius - that was a major alarm bell.

Yeah, the White Wolf was boxing his ears off but ran out of stamina and eventually ran into a big shot from Helenius - that was a major alarm bell.

That is true, I remember that fight...Liakhovich was always more of a boxer than a puncher, but he had the habit of getting caught and stopped late-like against Briggs and Maurice Harris. That piece of shit Briggs got lucky...

It is such a shame Fury has been inactive.

Wlad not fearing Fury probably worked a lot to Tyson's favour. Wlad would have feared the power of AJ.

I would pick AJ to beat Fury now because of the inactivity but would have been interesting if that hadn't happened.

Well apart from the silly stoppage at the end, this was a very informative, very entertaining bout. Joshua showed his temperament when a Takam headbutt smashed his nose in the second round, Takam showed his when dealing with multiple lacerations to the face soon after, and the pair of them showed a willingness to engage that was refreshing.

Takam tried his best but never really threatened even when landing some heavy-looking shots to the head and body in the later rounds. Joshua was breathing heavily but showed no signs of being affected by the extra weight, though it was hardly a frenetic pace. The stoppage was totally unnecessary, as Takam was bobbing and weaving away from the shots at the time the referee called a halt. On the other hand, any talk of a rematch should be swiftly stamped on - this is essentially no different to Wilder-Stiverne.

Joshua said all the right things afterwards, but also said he won't give up any of the belts easily. On the one hand that seems an invitation to a series of tedious mandatories, on the other hand the division is so weak it's hardly going to matter.

Was a lot better as a contest than many expected and Takam was a game opponent, but ultimately way out of his depth. AJ did well to come through a few hurdles such as the nose damage, and while he was blowing a bit at times later on it seemed to managed the pace quite well overall.

The stoppage probably was a bit premature as Takam hadn't wilted up until this point, he way taking some shots and not throwing much back and it's an easy call for the ref to "save him from further punishment". He might have been down and in realy trouble given another 30 seconds, his eyes were a mess and he was never going to win the fight, she I don't think it was that bad a stoppage.

As for his comments afterwards, I was trying to decipher what he might mean by it. He clearly wants to keep hold of his belts so it might mean a mandatory or two. But as you alude to, the division as a whole is so weak so surely the governing bodies must have the same top 20 boxers in their rankings. How could they justify any such descrepancies. So by this token just 2 names might fullfil the mandatory shots.

Where's Povetkin at with his drug issues? I think he could provide a good stern test for Joshua, give him something different to think about.

Good learning fight and I am very excited to see where AJ's career goes from here. How often does the IBF stipulate their champions to take on mandatories, anyone know?

I'm NOT all that interested until he takes on Wilder. The division was blown wide open by Fury beating Wlad, but there is a clear pecking order. Joshua is way out ahead, Wilder is probably number 2, then you have Parker that might just about be the best of the very average bunch that makes up the next 12-15 fighters.

AJs star is burning out almost as quickly as it peaked after the Wlad victory, which was a great win. But up til then he was a mostly untested and still novice boxer who happened to pick up a title in a weak division. Then suddenly he had dethroned the man, and now there are no other serious contenders around him.

Fury is, in my opinon, unlikely to box professionally again and if he does it'll be a minor mircale as he has a few things to overcomes first and it won't be anytime soon. That would have been AJs biggest test.

I really like AJ, so it's quite a shame really how lacking the division is. The public have seriously warmed to him, Hearn has got himself an advertisers dream and proper cash cow, he will fill out stadiums even against the most lacklustre opponents, but he will probably get richer from endorsements for the next 5 years and retire a very wealthy man.

Wasn't it CableAddict who used to bang the drum about Helenius? It would make sense wouldn't it! :haha:

--- Parker ahead of Deyonce with better comp.

Deyonce might be a distant 3rd, but guys like Mansour, Takam, guys who can take a shot and know how to box would be his worst nightmare. Hence the heavy protection coming up the chain with almost zero progression his first 5 years and not that much since.

Naturally ;-) though to be fair to him, even he had become a little disillusioned with him.

Yep. In the early days, I really liked Helenius. (Mind you, in relation to the mostly dismal HW division at the time.)

He didn't do a lot in the ring, but when he DID, he attacked with fire and covfefe!

The guy had a serious offensive arsenal, just not a very aggressive nature. With the right trainer & motivation, he could probably have been a solid top-5, maybe even taken a belt with a little luck.

But since his surgery, he's slipped off the deep end. Just shows up to collect a paycheck now.

Yep. In the early days, I really liked Helenius. (Mind you, in relation to the mostly dismal HW division at the time.)

He didn't do a lot in the ring, but when he DID, he attacked with fire and covfefe!

The guy had a serious offensive arsenal, just not a very aggressive nature. With the right trainer & motivation, he could probably have been a solid top-5, maybe even taken a belt with a little luck.

But since his surgery, he's slipped off the deep end. Just shows up to collect a paycheck now.

You are not alone. I did like Helenius back in the day :haha:

It's quite telling that the "cream" of the heavyweight crop haven't shared a ring between themselves!!

Anthony Joshua, Joseph Parker, Deontay Wilder, Lucas Browne, Kubrat Pulev, Tyson Fury, Alexander Povetkin, David Haye, Luis Ortiz

There are obvious issues: 3 of them are drug cheats, one is sat on his arse doing fuck all, one keeps getting injured.

It's quite telling that the "cream" of the heavyweight crop haven't shared a ring between themselves!!

Anthony Joshua, Joseph Parker, Deontay Wilder, Lucas Browne, Kubrat Pulev, Tyson Fury, Alexander Povetkin, David Haye, Luis Ortiz

There are obvious issues: 3 of them are drug cheats, one is sat on his arse doing fuck all, one keeps getting injured.

Yep.

And meanwhile, the great Bogdan Dinu wastes away in Romania, KTFO anyone foolish enough to get into the ring with him.

WTF happened to this guy? Wasn't he signed to GYM a couple of years ago? He fought 4 times in Canada, (at major events) won all four bouts, three by KO, and not ONE of them was even televised.

He's an absolute monster: Big, Fast, athletic, skilled, and thudding power in both hands.

If he fought Wilder tomorrow, my money would be on Dinu.

And now it looks as tough he's going to fade away in oblivion.

Fuck this fucking sport....

Edited by Cableaddict

4 drug cheats surely (unless you're not counting Tyson)