Pulev injured; Joshua Now Faces Takam

gavpowell

Due to a shoulder injury in sparring, Kubrat Pulev has withdrawn from the Joshua fight with 12 days to go. As a result, the IBF #3 fighter in Carlos Takam gets the gig. Fortunately, Hearn says he did a deal at the outset to have Takam on standby for this fight,

so he should be in reasonable shape.

I don't mind this fight - Takam's had a couple of KO wins since losing to Parker, and he only just lost to Parker, having given him nightmares along the way. He's not got a bad chin and packs a bit of a wallop, so in some ways he offers more than Pulev did. So when Joshua inevitably smashes him to pieces, the comparison with Parker's labours will be very favourable.

Re: Pulev injured; Joshua Now Faces Takam

--- Pulev may not be that all, but he's a grade above Takam, but it's no big deal as any fight is stay busy for Josh.

Really no big fights left for him since Wlad retired. Deyonce never could draw flies, so Parker is about the top draw save for Josh, and almost nobody knows who he is.

Due to a shoulder injury in sparring

The first report that came out from the Bulgarian press said he had injured a shoulder on Oct 6, then yesterday the same source said he had "torn thoracic muscles" - muscles that lie deep next to the ribcage in the chest - and if torn take around a month to knit back together again with steroidal treatments and give you severe pain breathing - I've torn them myself.

Injury now being widely reported in the western press as a "shoulder injury."

Either way it makes no financial sense to duck out of the fight -biggest payday of his career - so all we can do is wish Pulev a speedy recovery and good luck for the future.

Addendum: Pulev; although he would have lost would have given AJ a much better fight than Takam will who isn't worth a wank in a dirty sock. AJ can pick his round.

The first report that came out from the Bulgarian press said he had injured a shoulder on Oct 6, then yesterday the same source said he had "torn thoracic muscles" - muscles that lie deep next to the ribcage in the chest - and if torn take around a month to knit back together again with steroidal treatments and give you severe pain breathing - I've torn them myself.

Injury now being widely reported in the western press as a "shoulder injury."

Either way it makes no financial sense to duck out of the fight -biggest payday of his career - so all we can do is wish Pulev a speedy recovery and good luck for the future.

Addendum: Pulev; although he would have lost would have given AJ a much better fight than Takam will who isn't worth a wank in a dirty sock. AJ can pick his round.

Hmmm. This is probably for real, given what Pulev just lost.

Of course, if one were to assume some nefarious goings on, (not ME, of course, oh no! :whistle:) then one could see the big picture as this:

Pulev is on da' juice.

He realizes, last minute, that he'll never pass the tests, so he pulls out with an injury that's not only hard to detect from the outside, it also heals surprisingly quickly.

And WOULDN'T YA' KNOW IT: The cure for this injury is steroids!

So the fight with AJ gets delayed, not cancelled, and in 6 months, when Pulev fails the steroids test, he has an iron clad excuse.

------------------------

This would be an intriguing scenario, if it weren't for the fact that boxing is 10% legit, like I keep telling you guys.

Edited by Cableaddict

So the fight with AJ gets delayed, not cancelled, and in 6 months, when Pulev fails the steroids test, he has an iron clad excuse.

How would it be an iron clad excuse 6 months later? And why is Pulev taking steroids now for the first time in his career? Or has he somehow forgotten how to mask them? Or does he not have the ability to bribe the judges and testing agents the way you say all those other fighters have?

Don't spent too much time - the questions are largely rhetorical.

I was actually referring to the cortisosteroidol group! :ranger: For recovery from this injury (if it is thoracic tears) not anabolic. (Same as TBE has for his hands.)

Never crossed my mind he was juicing Cable. Biggest paycheck of his career, no reason to sabotage it.

I was actually referring to the cortisosteroidol group! :ranger: For recovery from this injury (if it is thoracic tears) not anabolic. (Same as TBE has for his hands.)

Never crossed my mind he was juicing Cable. Biggest paycheck of his career, no reason to sabotage it.

Like I said, SOME folks might surmise... certainly not me. ;-)

Hoping to attend this card. Very happy with the replacement. I like Takam - been a good solid contender. Takes a while to warm-up, was unlucky against Mike Perez. Comes on strong but if Joshua has sense, he will get him out early. I had little hope for Pulev - who is decent.

Carlos is short, squat, powerful - he could prove a difficult nut to crack for Joshua. Be interesting to see how it goes. Hopefully, Joshua is a bit lighter than the Wlad fight. Needs to have worked on those shocking fatigue moments. Takam will take his chance if Joshua is blowing out of his arse.

--- As to Josh fatigue for Wlad, they set a pretty fair pace of high end boxing that is more energy sapping than Takam will require.

I tend to think the fatigue was more getting knocked down by Wlad after thinking he had him and going into a type of shock as he recovered his senses. Wlad was too cautious at that point and let Josh off the hook. I doubt Takam will bother Josh much as he always starts careful as he picks his shots with more and more authority. I don't see this going past 6, and probably by the 4th for sure.

Hoping to attend this card. Very happy with the replacement. I like Takam - been a good solid contender. Takes a while to warm-up, was unlucky against Mike Perez. Comes on strong but if Joshua has sense, he will get him out early. I had little hope for Pulev - who is decent.

Carlos is short, squat, powerful - he could prove a difficult nut to crack for Joshua. Be interesting to see how it goes. Hopefully, Joshua is a bit lighter than the Wlad fight. Needs to have worked on those shocking fatigue moments. Takam will take his chance if Joshua is blowing out of his arse.

Joshua definitely needs to lose a little muscle and drop a bit weight, the Frank Bruno model already proved it can’t stand up to a real test

Joshua definitely needs to lose a little muscle and drop a bit weight, the Frank Bruno model already proved it can’t stand up to a real test

In some recent training videos, AJ has actually looked much more loose, fluid and mobile. So much so that I was literally shocked at the difference, from say 2 years ago.

He's actually starting to look like a real boxer, as opposed to a musclebound hype job.

Someone is really training this guy right, and AJ clearly is listening to them, to his credit.

In some recent training videos, AJ has actually looked much more loose, fluid and mobile. So much so that I was literally shocked at the difference, from say 2 years ago.

He's actually starting to look like a real boxer, as opposed to a musclebound hype job.

Someone is really training this guy right, and AJ clearly is listening to them, to his credit.

From what i hear he’s going to be stone lighter in this upcoming fight, I hope it’s true

--- I don't think a big guy like Josh has to worry about weight as much as training in such a way to insure he makes out of camp in shape with no injuries.

Wlad came in light, a mistake in my view thinking that would enhance his speed, when in fact he should've been at his normal 245-248 in anticipation of a grueling bout, which it was for as long as it lasted. Maybe with another 7 lbs on him instead of overtraining, Josh might not have made it up. All hindsight now, but I stated such after their weighin. Main thing is we got a great fight out of it as we will Takam as long as he lasts.

Weight is definitely not the issue for AJ. It's fluidity, quickness, defensive movement.....

Takam is actually a pretty good test.

Not a dream bout, but definitely an opponent that will come to fight, and force AJ to show off / hone his newfound abilities