[SPOILER] New York card - opinions

pittbox

Jermell really looked like he had gained some pop in his punches. The 4th straight win by KO and he can't be considered as the feather-fisted Charlo. Hardly anyone expected this to be this short.

Hurd v Troust was a badass fight. Trout started this really well making use of Hurd's lack of foot work and mediocre defense. "Swift" started to come back strong since the 6th round and looked like the beast constantly hurting Trout. Very exciting fight and a great win by Hurd.

Lara v Gausha was an utter opposite of the previous fight. Gausha had no clue and Lara just did enough to secure a safe, but boring win.

Edited by pittbox

Re:

New York card - opinions

I really enjoyed this fight card. The Hurd vs Trout fight was excellent and I had Trout up on the scorecards before the ref stopped the fight. Personally I am not a fan of Hurd, he has poor footwork and defence. I consider Hurd to be the poorest of the champions at 154 and should he fight Lara or Charlo he will most definitely lose. I believe IBF will enforce the mandatory defence on him so we probs wont see him unifying with any of the other champs in the division anytime soon.

With regards to Charlo-Lubin, then that was not expected at all, however what a great knockout. Looking back at how Lubin was struggling to get up off the ground it was like his mind and fighter instinct was telling him to go up but the body was not having not of it. The punch he took seemed to have caused a disconnect between Lubins will power to get up and his body. Truly amazing stuff. I think Jermell deserves a lot more credit than what he has been receiving from fans and media and in my opinion he is the best 154.

Would love to see a Charlo vs Hurd fight as the build up will be decent and then winner of that to face Lara to unify the belts.

Re:

New York card - opinions

Charlo - Lubin went exactly as expected, just more quickly. Charlo has never been feather-fisted, just less powerful than his brother. Clearly he's on a new level now, because on his last few fights he's been more conservative, and really picking his shots. (and thus also throwing more consistently with full support.)

- But Jermell's power wasn't the story. It was his developing conservatism & care which ALSO means his defense is much better. Lubin, on the other hand, was still leaving himself wide open a lot in his last few fights. It was only a matter of time ...

Hurd v Trout: Trout stunned everybody with that ballsy performance. (He must be on the juice.)

Hurd is one of my favorite fighters, and hopefully he learned a good lesson: Stop mixing it up on the inside! He has an insane reach, yet he's always like fighting close . Trout just proved why that's a dumb idea, at the top level. Once Hurd started using that reach, and speed, Trout became target practice.

Lara v Gausha: Lara proved once again why they call him "The American Dream." - He puts people to sleep.

Edited by Cableaddict

Re:

New York card - opinions

I was there last night. Sat ringside. Talked to Dennis Douglin, he's fighting Dirrell soon. Also Marcus Browne.

Ballsy effort by Trout. Going in i was just rooting for a good fight, i had no rooting interest. Seeing Austin come in on such a long layoff, and be able to not only fight in that manner, but to ask many questions about Hurd. Well that was truly remarkable. I agree with the stoppage, would've only gotten worst the last 2 rounds for No Doubt. I could've done without seeing Hurd parade around the arena afterwards with a fishing net.