Miguel Cotto vs Sadam Ali? (SPOILER)

repsac

re: Miguel Cotto vs Sadam Ali? (SPOILER)

--- Won't be better options after Ali beats him.

Cotto wants too much money, so there are no other options with the big players, just a hungry guy low paid fighter with decent experience and good attributes, not the least being speed of foot and hand. He already indicated he was retiring after his last fight, but fudged just as soon as he pocketed the win to grease up his retirement fund. No problems from a financial perspective, but me thinks he erred in his opponent selection as Ali is far more dangerous to a record than say a Berto.

Sadam who? Think he could have picked someone a little more high profile for his sending off. There was talk of him fighting the winner of Canelo vs GGG but I think that was too ambitious. Not really sure who else out there could give him a good fight without 'hurting' his chances of winning his last fight and having a great send off.

--- Cotto is still a very good fighter, and he's hardly circling the drain like so many greats at this stage, but young Ali has plenty of assets to give him hell not to mention the lean and hungry look of a young Cassius who dethroned Julius Caesar those oh too many years ago.

! Et Tu Brute !

• 1 month later...

[h=1]Watch Cotto vs Ali & undercard free on Ringnews24 courtesy of FITE[/h]

This Saturday FITE will be the place for boxing. Miguel Cotto (41-5, 33 KOs) vs. Sadam Ali (25-1, 14 KOs) will be available live on FITE in select countries around the globe.

Watch Here for FREE (selected countrys): Page not found - - Boxing News - Ring News24

I underrated this fight seriously! I thought it was meant to be quite one-sided, but Ali really treated this seriously and fought the fight of his life! Cotto's reactions to Ali's punches were concerning as Sadam is not a big puncher and not particulary big fighter. I actually had it 114-114 as I felt that Ali didn't do enough in the last round, but I'm happy with the close win for him. At least we know that judges didn't edge it for Cotto just to have a nice retirement gift for him. I think it's fine for Cotto, too. It's better to hang gloves after a lost, but decent fight against promising boxer than to give some tiring and one-sided performance against weak opponent.

I had it 114-114 as well. And thats with being surrounded by a bunch of Puerto Ricans that dismissed every punch Ali landed, and went crazy whenever Miguel landed a jab. So my scorecard might be swayed a round or 2 for Cotto. Some people behind me had it 10-2 for Cotto. lol. I was able to see Cotto visibly hurt on at least 4 occasions. And at times i was praying for a flash knockdown, just to claim the crowd down. Still was a tremendously entertaining fight, and i had a blast being there. Miguel was great for the sport. Need more fighters like him

Re: Miguel Cotto vs Sadam Ali? (SPOILER)

It was an okay fight, I suppose it was more about Cotto's last time in the ring. Other than that Eddie Hearn has tweeted Sadam Ali to get him to fight Brook which should be a decent little scrap but as far as those two are concerned they should both stay well clear of the other 154 champs.

Cotto looked old in there. A prime Cotto wouldn't of had any problems with Ali. His footwork, movement are fantastic usually but tonight he seemed stuck in the same gear the whole fight. Sad to see Cotto bow out on a loss but he's had a great career and one to be proud of.

I wasn't too impressed with Rey Vargas. I thought Oscar Negrete did well considering the height and reach of Vargas. For a little guy he managed to land a lot of shots and push Vargas back. Vargas should of used his jab more and tried fighting at distance.

Cotto looked old in there. A prime Cotto wouldn't of had any problems with Ali. His footwork, movement are fantastic usually but tonight he seemed stuck in the same gear the whole fight. Sad to see Cotto bow out on a loss but he's had a great career and one to be proud of.

I wasn't too impressed with Rey Vargas. I thought Oscar Negrete did well considering the height and reach of Vargas. For a little guy he managed to land a lot of shots and push Vargas back. Vargas should of used his jab more and tried fighting at distance.

Every time i see Vargas, i hear the commentators say that he needs to use his reach, and jab. But he always crowds himself and mixes it up on the inside with his naturally shorter opponent. Or he's back pedaling while jabbing, making it less effective.

Every time i see Vargas, i hear the commentators say that he needs to use his reach, and jab. But he always crowds himself and mixes it up on the inside with his naturally shorter opponent. Or he's back pedaling while jabbing, making it less effective.

Seeing him fight they way he does makes you question his trainer or Vargas not following his trainers instructions to the letter.

Surely an experienced Nacho Beristain doesn't want him fighting on the inside as much as he does and taking so many shots in the process, makes you wonder....

Boxrec says Vargas is 5'7 and Negrete 5'5. Looked a bigger height difference to me.

rey-vargas-y-oscar-negrete.jpg

http://photo.boxingscene.com/uploads/vargas-negrete-weights%20(1).jpg

Ok if I upload some of them to Ringnews24? if yes, what photo credit should I add?

Any pics you want to add to the site you can email us ringnews24 AT ringnews24.com

Sure thing. Sounds good to me. ;)

If Cotto hadn't injured his bicep do you guys think he wouldv'e won?
No, because he said he injured his bicep in round 7. I thought he looked like an aged fighter from the start. Ali paced him self well and deserved the win. News today saying Cotto needs surgery on his bicep.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk