Interesting fights this weekend

pittbox

Apart from the start of WBSS and big event in Carson, this weekend will bring more examples of good matchmaking to us.

Friday:

-General Alevar, Argentina

flyweight: Juan Carlos Reveco vs Komgrich Nantapech

Both are top 10 fighters in this division according to Boxrec. Reveco was a long-reigning WBA champ and Nantapech looked decent in his last fight against Donnie Nietes.

-Las Vegas, USA

super middleweight: J'Leon Love vs Abraham Han

Love still trying to recover after his defeat against Medina. Han gave some upsets in the past, beating Marcos Reyes and Sergio Mora.

super middleweight WBC: David Benavidez vs Ronald Gavril

David Benavidez is one the biggest prospects in this sport. Gavril has some decent punching power. Benavidez is a big favorite, but Gavril looked good in last few fights.

On this event we can also see prospect Calep Plant against Alan Campa.

Saturday:

-Astana, Kazakhstan

super welterweight: Kanat Islam vs Brandon Cook

Islam is an undefeated prospect, but looked mediocre in his last few fights. It looks to me like the undefeated Canadian Brandon Cook can pull the upset here.

-Kempton Park, RSA

cruiserweight: Kevin Lerena vs Youri Kalenga

Very good fight. Lerena surprisingly beat undefeated prospect Micki Nielsen. Kalenga is a "tank-like" fighter who was close to defeating WBSS fighter Dorticos and beat decent fighters like Masternak or Daley in the past.

Opinions welcome ;-)

Re: Interesting fights this weekend

David Benavidez is one the biggest prospects in this sport. Gavril has some decent punching power. Benavidez is a big favorite, but Gavril looked good in last few fights.

--- This the big one. Lots of upside to Benavidez, so I hope he can keep his noggin screwed tight for a nice long run at the top. Seen a lotta talent fall by the wayside.

--- This the big one. Lots of upside to Benavidez, so I hope he can keep his noggin screwed tight for a nice long run at the top. Seen a lotta talent fall by the wayside.

Totally agree!! this fight for the green belt will be between 2 young prospects that are hungry to jumpt to the big leagues!! i agree we should see this one!

I read somewhere that Benavidez may just be the best fighter in the sport today!

:whistle:

After an extremely close cruiserweight fight Kevin Lerena beats Youri Kalenga by split decision (115-113,116-113,111-117). I had it 114-114. Kalenga was more aggressive, but looked bad in second part of the fight, being gassed out and missing a lot of punches. Lerena on the other hand wasn't too busy with his punches, but landed some decent shots.

Finally I had a chance to watch Las Vegas card.

Caleb Plant fought a different opponent (Andrew Hernandez). I hadn't watch a fight and probably didn't lost much (3x100-90)

J'Leon Love looked terrible against Abie Han. Fight ended because of Han's cut caused by accidental headbutt and judges declared it a draw. I had it 78-74 for Han. 76-76 is sketchy, but probably acceptable. Judge who had it 79-73 for Love needs to be questioned, though.

And the main event ... You know what, guys? I actually scored this just 114-113 for Benavidez. Those early rounds Showtime crew was giving all to Benavidez. I disagree. I mean, they could go either way, but Gavril edged some of them for me, because he fought smart. Tight guard and plenty of body shots was a great strategy for Gavril. A lot of rounds were extremely close, so I'm not surprised that scorecards were all over the place. Benavidez failed to impress me in this fight. He's got skills and power, but I feel like he didn't give his heart this night. This looked to me like he just was like "I keep those rounds somehow close and they will score this for me anyway". He reminds me of another Benavidez, Jose Benavidez. Everyone was so loud about how big a talent he is and Herrera kind of exposed him. Now, barely anyone remembers him. I'm not saying he's not very talented, but don't call them the best fighter in the sport yet. Gavril on the other hand looks like an underrated fighter. Rematch wouldn't be bad.

Edited by pittbox

And the main event ... You know what, guys? I actually scored this just 114-113 for Benavidez. Those early rounds Showtime crew was giving all to Benavidez. I disagree. I mean, they could go either way, but Gavril edged some of them for me, because he fought smart. Tight guard and plenty of body shots was a great strategy for Gavril. A lot of rounds were extremely close, so I'm not surprised that scorecards were all over the place. Benavidez failed to impress me in this fight. He's got skills and power, but I feel like he didn't give his heart this night. This looked to me like he just was like "I keep those rounds somehow close and they will score this for me anyway". He reminds me of another Benavidez, Jose Benavidez. Everyone was so loud about how big a talent he is and Herrera kind of exposed him. Now, barely anyone remembers him. I'm not saying he's not very talented, but don't call them the best fighter in the sport yet. Gavril on the other hand looks like an underrated fighter. Rematch wouldn't be bad.

I agree.

Gavril had some very good success in the first half of the fight. However, IMO this was mostly because Benavidez gave away a lot of early rounds, by being overly patient & cautious. I understand his caution, and Gavril can really bang, but you can't let your opponent rack up rounds, assuming you will get a KO later. That's either a lack of experience, or a really bad corner.

Though I don't think Benavidez was ever in any serious trouble, the official scoring was acceptable.

I'm sure Benavidez will benefit greatly from this experience.

Edited by Cableaddict

Brandon Cook disappointed me against Kanat Islam. He failed to be competitive and made Islam able to bring his best performance up to date. I still doubt Kazakh will ever be at the world champ level, but he has definetely improved.