How Does Saul Alvarez Deal With A Problem Like Gennady Golovkin?

The_budweiser

he long awaited middleweight fight between Saul Canelo Alvarez and Gennady GGG Golovkin will finally take place on September 16th at the T-Mobile arena in Las Vegas. The contest will be for the IBF, WBA, Ring Magazine and the WBC championships.

Tickets for the event are completely sold out, having only been on offer to the public for a fortnight! The fans were willing to pay as much as $5,000 to be up close and personal to see the two boxers battle for Supremacy, as Golden Boy Promotions so aptly titled the event.

Page not found - - Boxing News - Ring News24

Re: How Does Saul Alvarez Deal With A Problem Like Gennady Golovkin?

If I were in Canelo's corner, my advice would be to cash the check and then go back to SWW, if possible.

The only chance Canelo has is to throw caution to the wind, and throw the kitchen sink. Early and relentlessly.

Golovkin loves to mix it up, so maybe he'll take the challenge and stay close-to-midrange, fighting power with power. He's smarter than than, but that little part of his reptilian brain my overcome his common sense, and give Canelo a chance.

For a few rounds, at least.

Problem is, all Canelo has is his incredible head movement. - But Golovkin loves to go to the body, where the slow-footed gingican will be a near stationary target.

Anyone who thinks Canelo has more than a 10% chance in this, must have just started watching boxing this year.

If I were in Canelo's corner, my advice would be to cash the check and then go back to SWW, if possible.

The only chance Canelo has is to throw caution to the wind, and throw the kitchen sink. Early and relentlessly.

Golovkin loves to mix it up, so maybe he'll take the challenge and stay close-to-midrange, fighting power with power. He's smarter than than, but that little part of his reptilian brain my overcome his common sense, and give Canelo a chance.

For a few rounds, at least.

Problem is, all Canelo has is his incredible head movement. - But Golovkin loves to go to the body, where the slow-footed gingican will be a near stationary target.

Anyone who thinks Canelo has more than a 10% chance in this, must have just started watching boxing this year.

I think he has more than a 10% chance. Cheers.

--- Canelo already has the perfect style in being a classic counterpuncher with good defense to complement Golovkin power pressure style for a great fight.

As mentioned, Canelo the money fighter, so if goes the distance and he acquits himself well, prob go to him. Everyone says GGG needs a KO and they ain't wrong, but in fact this still boils down to chin, talent, and execution as both are the most formidable each has faced. Hey, maybe Canelo gets McG as the winner in a new superfight. We know TUE ain't gonna fight Golovkin at 154.

--- The fight is 3 weeks out, and here are training shots. Draw your own conclusions:

http://fightnews.com/boxing/CaneloGGGWorkout_Hoganphotos6.jpg

If Canelo punches like THAT, he's gonna' get his jaw broken.

Maybe he's planning on scaring Golovkin into submission?

Edited by Cableaddict

--- The fight is 3 weeks out, and here are training shots. Draw your own conclusions:

http://fightnews.com/boxing/CaneloGGGWorkout_Hoganphotos6.jpg

http://fightnews.com/boxing/CaneloGGGWorkout_Hoganphotos19.jpg

30 days out Golovkin is 5 lbs heavier than usual (@170lbs WBC check weigh in). Normally he is at 165lbs 30 days out, so he still has weight to cut to make the limit. 5lbs may not sound like much but every lb counts. Canelo on the other hand is absolutely shredded at the weight. I really cannot wait for this fight. Its soo good I cannot choose a winner. May the best man win.

Golovkin is 35 of course, but I don't know if he's really aging much, in boxing terms. His style doesn't require a lot of athleticism, so it translates well into older age. I think maybe his reflexes are a hair slower, but he's still a very dangerous monster.

My theory: He couldn't get Can-yellow to face him. So, he purposely let himself get hit (more than usual) against Brook & Jacobs, so as to fool the gingican into thinking he has a chance.

Gennady's gonna' enter that ring a lean, mean, Mexican-eating machine. He'll stay outside and not trade much, work those outside angles all night, and punish Canelo's body until we finally get a "no mas" ending. (Or maybe a spectacular, "don't need no ref for this one" KO.

i think the speed will be a major factor in this fight, if Canelo can manage the speed and hit and stay away from the bombs of GGG he will have a chance!!, it's a big question if Canelo can have the chin to handle GGG bombs, but the speed will make the difference here.

--- Canelo definitely looked much faster and sharper with his new bob and weave debut against Junior.

It tells me than his boxing mind and trainer are growing into his prime, but as the old saying goes, timing beats speed and Golovkin is a steady pressing well timed monster. It's gonna be that pressure and timing that is gonna be a bear to tame since he's not a natural runner like Jacobs who was bigger and stronger than both Canelo and Golovkin. Hope GGG sheds the weight and is great shape, because we know Canelo will be.

--- Canelo definitely looked much faster and sharper with his new bob and weave debut against Junior.

It tells me than his boxing mind and trainer are growing into his prime, but as the old saying goes, timing beats speed and Golovkin is a steady pressing well timed monster. It's gonna be that pressure and timing that is gonna be a bear to tame since he's not a natural runner like Jacobs who was bigger and stronger than both Canelo and Golovkin. Hope GGG sheds the weight and is great shape, because we know Canelo will be.

It's quite interesting that they both have super-fast reflexes, and a the ability to stay calm & focused under pressure.

However, IMO Golovkin has a VASTLY superior command of the ring, which should be the entire story.

Also, we know that Golovkin can take a big punch, just laugh it off, and fire back. I'm not sure that's true with Canelo.

I still see this as a 1-sided beatdown. GGG might even have to carry Canelo for a few rounds, to make it "big drama show."

--- Don't see it one sided at all. Both are the best each has fought, so there is that unknown factor of if they can beat the best?

Canelo's never been down and only rocked once as a teen for about 2 sec before he recovered to knock Cotto's bro out. I see the fight going past the halfway point at least, and a probable 12 rd decision, but maybe others see it different which is OK. Doubt Canelo could get a legit KO over Golovkin, but he is the fav because he could definitely put together some punches to do that to Canelo, so we're gonna find out.

Really looking forward to this one, I like both fighters, but I see this being close and I'd like to see Canelo win. He's great to watch and think he might just have that something extra that Golovkin has never faced before, nad moght come unstuck.

Here's a troubling thought:

Whichever man wins (cough - Golovkin - cough...) what comes next? Who the heck is left at 160 to challenge for the title, in any meaningful way?

The only guys that ome to mind are Derevyanchenko, who's incredible, but really not ready, and Charlo, who needs more time to assimilate at the weight.

Billie Joe will quack his way into retirement if need be, rather than face either one of these guys.

Falcao might do well, in a boring sort of Erisandry Lara kinda of way, but no one even knows who he is.

Centano would be a fascinating fight, but again, he's practically unknown by the casuals.

Not much chance of a top SMW coming down, since they are all tied up in the Super tourney.

-----------------------------------

The winner of this fight will be a HUGE international star, and the promoters will want to schedule another big fight fairly soon, to capitalize on that.

I can only think of one, mouth-watering possibility: Andrade. Moving up just for the one fight, then back down to 154, with no damage to his rep if he loses.

My guess, however, is that the next MW fatted calf will be Quillin. He's a big name, with a fairly impressive record, but zero defense. He's also signed to Haymon, so there you go. Time to cash out.

Edited by Cableaddict

Billie Joe will quack his way into retirement if need be, rather than face either one of these guys..

Did you read the latest press release? Dominic Ingle says he beats both (GGG and Canelo) and Saunders is not prepared to wait on them. If the fight doesn't happen he's moving up weight.

Whichever man wins (cough - Golovkin - cough...) what comes next? Who the heck is left at 160 to challenge for the title, in any meaningful way?

The only guys that ome to mind are Derevyanchenko, who's incredible, but really not ready, and Charlo, who needs more time to assimilate at the weight.

Billie Joe will quack his way into retirement if need be, rather than face either one of these guys.

Falcao might do well, in a boring sort of Erisandry Lara kinda of way, but no one even knows who he is.

Centano would be a fascinating fight, but again, he's practically unknown by the casuals.

Not much chance of a top SMW coming down, since they are all tied up in the Super tourney.

This kind of thing can be said whenever the two top names of a division clash to be fair. We always moan about mismatches and fighters avoiding one another, and then we think "Fuck whats next" when the good fights DO get made.

I think its just the natural lifecycle of divisions though, and it might take some time for new stars to filter into the limelight of the division but they will come, it just might cause a lull in the interest of the divison for a while.

Did you read the latest press release? Dominic Ingle says he beats both (GGG and Canelo) and Saunders is not prepared to wait on them. If the fight doesn't happen he's moving up weight.

Quack, quack, quack ............

Does someone here think that Canelo will go toe to toe with GGG??

Not sure he'll go toe to toe with GGG. But at some point i think he'll be lounging on the ropes with nowhere to hide, and he'll have to land something to back GGG up. I certainly think Jacobs is a bigger puncher than Canelo, and Golovkin took all of his punches pretty well.