Thank you for the memories Juan Manuel Marquez. He's retiring tomorrow.

repsac

Re: Thank you for the memories Juan Manuel Marquez. He's retiring tomorrow.

I still think his record against Manny should be 2-1-1.

I still struggle with seeing him "losing" the 3rd fight against Pacquaio. Great boxer! I remeember when Floyd picked him up as an opponent a lot of people were saying that it's a weak choice and JMM won't suceed in this division. He still was a top welterweight at his time, but Bradley defeated him honestly.

--- Talk about a guy who coulda, shoulda, woulda beat manny but for all them knock downs.

ducked him throughout their careers and had to hire BALCO Meme Heredia and get on his vitamins before he barely squeaked a win due to manny's foot fault that left him off balance and hands down. Ducked the 5th fight for smaller purses and not looking a bit like the winner. I'd say his comeback against Juan Diaz was his most respectable fight where he showed he could overcome his limitations for a much needed win. That and putting bigger, stronger TUE in reverse for 12 rds.

I still struggle with seeing him "losing" the 3rd fight against Pacquaio. Great boxer! I remeember when Floyd picked him up as an opponent a lot of people were saying that it's a weak choice and JMM won't suceed in this division. He still was a top welterweight at his time, but Bradley defeated him honestly.
He was a weak opponent at the time. He was a soft looking lightweight not the rock solid welter he miraculously developed into in his mid 30s. TBH I thought he'd retired years ago.

He was a weak opponent at the time. He was a soft looking lightweight not the rock solid welter he miraculously developed into in his mid 30s.

Rob's on point. Probably one of the best counter-punchers of all time and if he had cottoned onto the juice earlier and smarter like Manny did, he would have a better legacy. Borderline HOF'er for me but he will get the nod.

Agree with OP - thanks for the memories.

--- Well, he's a Mexican accountant by trade as the story goes, so he's gonna count up all his peso notes pronto.

Then he's gonna think back in the beginning when he turned down $700K for the immediate Manny rematch of their first fight to instead fight for $25K and get knocked off in Indonesia against Chris John. So next he subtracts that $25K from his total and then add in the $700K to see what his total should've looked like!

http://theinspirationroom.com/daily/commercials/2008/10/pc-bean-counter.jpg

Maybe he's just lost the motivation and drive. Not fought for two years and must have a tidy sum in the bank. His record (56-7-1, 40 KOs) reads like a Who's who of boxing over the last 15 + years. Held World titles in three divisions. A Mexican Legend and must get straight in the IBHOF, when he becomes eligible.

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing to think what Marquez has achieved in the second half of his career. I remember thinking after his terrible fight with Derek Gainer that he would box his way through a few more low profile fights and go down as an avoided and underappreciated technician who needed, but would never get, the right opponent to ever sell himself to the mainstream. Glad I was wrong.

Would love to have seen Mosley vs Marquez!

I understand they just missed each other in terms of weight, but would Marquez have stood a chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Marquez is an unforgettable warrior, the best Mexican fighter after JCC, he beat Barrera, Pacquiao, Casamayor, twice Juan Diaz in a FOTY, and other good boxers. Dinamita was a complete boxer, great counter-puncher, he had chin, heart, punch. The fourth match with Pacquiao gave him what he deserved, no other words, thanks Champion, you've been one of the best