Dillian Whyte vs Michael Grant

WelshDevilRob

Glad the Dillian Whyte vs Michael Grant fight has been scrapped. Grant is 44-years-old, lost his last three by stoppage (Takam, Charr, Zimnoch) and had one fight in two and a half years.

His best wins came in 1998/99 - beating David Izon, Obed Sullivan, Lou Savarese & Andrew Golota before being annihilated by Lennox Lewis in two rounds.

Whyte (20-1, 15 KOs) is looking for an opponent, on the undercard of Crawford vs Indongo, to make his US debut.

Looks a good card, so far, with Oleksandr Gvozdyk (13-0), Mike Reed (22-0), Nicholas Walters (26-1-1), Mike Alvarado (37-4), Bryant Jennings (19-2) and Shakur Stevenson (2-0) all in action.

I don't really expect top opposition for Whyte but common sense has prevailed.

Re: Dillian Whyte vs Michael Grant

Agree with the above - I genuinely think the Whyte - Grant fight would have done more harm than good to Whyte's stock over in the US. It's just too exploitative and obvious an opportunity to get an easy knockout to generate some hype.

This fight would have been the worst case of British matchmaking in history. Grant was competiitive few years ago, but since Takam knocked him out, he surely has neurological problems and shouldn't fight at all.

I really do not understand how you have two decent HW's in Whyte and Jennings on the same card fighting 8 rounders with fringe level opposition yet a fight between the pair as a co-main event couldn't be made. They both been at it on social media and in interviews yet can't seem to fight each other.

I love the main event. But all the undercard fights are terribly predictable.

I think you have to also bare in mind that this fight card will be televised on ESPN which is free television, so it is understandable that you don't have many big names fighting each other on there. All in all, it is about the unification at the end of the day.

I really do not understand how you have two decent HW's in Whyte and Jennings on the same card fighting 8 rounders with fringe level opposition yet a fight between the pair as a co-main event couldn't be made. They both been at it on social media and in interviews yet can't seem to fight each other.

Bryant Jennings hasn't fought since the end of 2015. He lost his last two fights. He needs to step back and get a few wins over the likes of Daniel Martz. Dillian Whyte has won four since Bryant's last fight. Them being on the same show is likely to build a fight. I wouldn't expect Jennings and Whyte to fight on this card, as would be unfair on the comebacking American.