Badou Jack vs Nathan Cleverly close to being announced - Aug 26, Who wins?

The_budweiser

Fight thoughts, who wins?

Badou Jack isn’t looking to slowly settle into his new weight.

The former super middleweight champion has been in talks for weeks ahead of a possible light heavyweight showdown against Nathan Cleverly. An industry source told RingTV.com that the sides are getting close to a deal, and the bout would take place on the Floyd Mayweather-Conor McGregor undercard on August 26 in Las Vegas.

The only undercard fight announced so far is Gervonta “Tank” Davis against a to-be-determined opponent in a junior lightweight title defense. Jack, like Davis, fights under the Mayweather Promotions banner.

Badou Jack, Nathan Cleverly getting closer to deal for Aug. 26 fight - The Ring

Re: Badou Jack vs Nathan Cleverly close to being announced - Aug 26

What a great fight!

Hard to pick, but Jack has momentum on his side. He'll likely be the more confident fighter in the ring. That alone could be the deciding factor, if he doesn't get stupid, and if his power is still there at 175.

Edited by Cableaddict

Jack is on the right path to be two-divisions world champion. WBA World is just not a real championship for me. I thought WBA is planning to get rid of these multiple belts and Cleverly would be eventually stripped.

It should be noted that Jack has not had a KO / TKO in his last 4 bouts, and that was at 168.

Yea but often when a fighter who was big for his division moved up, his power increased or improved. Even Cleverly scored a couple easy knockouts in his first two fights at cw. I believe Jack's will also increase.

Yea but often when a fighter who was big for his division moved up, his power increased or improved. Even Cleverly scored a couple easy knockouts in his first two fights at cw. I believe Jack's will also increase.

Interesting thought.

We shall see.

Interesting thought.

We shall see.

Yeah, because when they no longer have to kill themselves to make the weight, they can use all their strength. ;-) And rehydrating doesn't help either, it just feels weird...imagine how it is to gain like, 15-20 pounds just a day after!

I don't see Jack becoming a bigger puncher. He had 24 hours to rehydrate at Super Middleweight, so when he was in the ring probably had a big weight advantage and he still wasn't knocking people out.

He may have more energy but likely be slower. His team need to pay up or the fight won't happen.

I don't see Jack becoming a bigger puncher. He had 24 hours to rehydrate at Super Middleweight, so when he was in the ring probably had a big weight advantage and he still wasn't knocking people out.

He may have more energy but likely be slower. His team need to pay up or the fight won't happen.

As I said, rehydrating doesn't necessarily help. It's once you don't need to rehydrate that much that your power really grows.

As I said, rehydrating doesn't necessarily help. It's once you don't need to rehydrate that much that your power really grows.

You could well be right about Badou Jack. He may finally be at his natural weight and be firing on all cylinders. If he carried on moving up then I'd doubt it would carry the same impact. Light Heavyweight could be the division that he is at his full power - time will tell.

If Nathan was at his best and hungry, I think he could win. Several things tell me he's not, so I have no confidence.

WBA World is just not a real championship for me. I thought WBA is planning to get rid of these multiple belts and Cleverly would be eventually stripped.

Now if this WAS to happen I'd actually be impressed by the WBA! Opening their eyes, identifying a problem and making progressive steps to rectify it. Somehow I don't see it though.

You could well be right about Badou Jack. He may finally be at his natural weight and be firing on all cylinders. If he carried on moving up then I'd doubt it would carry the same impact. Light Heavyweight could be the division that he is at his full power - time will tell.

If Nathan was at his best and hungry, I think he could win. Several things tell me he's not, so I have no confidence.

Cleverly is a weird one for me. Must be 10 years ago now he came onto the British/European scene looking good, knocking up some good wins. He lacked power but started a good run of knock out wins and gained a load of confidence and looked to step up to world level.

He picked up the WBO strap without ever facing anyone major and his win over Bellew probably took on more significance after Bellews resurgence in recent years, but he just seemed to drop off the radar abit at this point and suffered a few losses. It seemed aybe his hunger had gone.

So at this stage its pretty difficult to tell where Clev is mentally and hunger wise. He's had 3 loses, knows he's not amongst the elite, maybe he is just seeing chance to cash in before he calls it quits?

Does anyone know how the Bivol situation is going to impact on this? They've got to finalise things soon and I read this week that the WBA mandated Cleverly - Bivol next up. I suppose there could be some step-aside money negotiated - it would be a shame if this didn't happen August 26th.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Badou Jack vs Nathan Cleverly close to being announced - Aug 26, Who wins?

--- No way Clev and jack pull out of what high rollers want to be the biggest sports event in history.

*** Note that Porter pulled out of the Delorme bout because of a death in the family. Sorry to hear that as Porter one of the few nice guys in boxing who always shows in shape and ready for a real rumble, not a game of tag.

Cleverly's problem is that he thinks he's a big puncher. His tactics against Kovalev? Walk right into him and try and out punch him. He gets hit far more than someone with his speed and range should and that will be his undoing against Jack as well. Barring injury it'll go to the cards and there's no one Jack will lose on points on Floyd promoted bill.

Cleverly's problem is that he thinks he's a big puncher. His tactics against Kovalev? Walk right into him and try and out punch him. He gets hit far more than someone with his speed and range should and that will be his undoing against Jack as well. Barring injury it'll go to the cards and there's no one Jack will lose on points on Floyd promoted bill.

Yea, he got that Welsh Warrior mentality. He thinks he can just wear out anyone.

^ Spot on. (both points.)