Good or Bad for Boxing: Mayweather vs Mcgregor

WelshDevilRob

What are your thought's on this fight/event? Good for boxing? Listen to the show below, as they debate the topic.

Boxing Debate: Is Mayweather-McGregor Good or Bad for Boxing?

Join Jeremiah Preisser as he moderates a debate between Mike Goodpaster and John Einreinhofer. They debate whether the upcoming Mayweather-McGregor contest is good for boxing?

Boxing Debate: Is Mayweather-McGregor Good or Bad for Boxing? - The Grueling Truth

Is this fight good or bad for boxing?

Re: Good or Bad for Boxing: Mayweather vs Mcgregor

I think it will make absolutely no difference to boxing - people who want to watch it will watch it. Anyone who already enjoys watching boxing will know it will be a poor spectacle and all about money. Anyone who doesn't already enjoy boxing will either ignore it or watch it for whatever idiotic reason they choose.

The entire selling point of this fight is that McGregor is not a boxer and Mayweather is retired, so nobody can claim to have been misled.

To paraphrase Stewart Lee, this fight is like a flurry of sewage that comes into your house unbidden, whereas buying the Pay per view is like you constructed a sluice to let it in.

The fight will make no difference, either to boxing or to MMA. It will also cast a huge shadow on Floyd's legacy, since (unbelievably) this is actually being sanctioned as a legitimate boxing match, giving Floyd his coveted 50th win.

It begs the question:

Why McGregor? Were there no kangaroos available? No trained bears?

Can Floyd make it to 60 - 0, if he fights members of the German woman's Olympic swim team?

Edited by Cableaddict

I think it will make absolutely no difference to boxing - people who want to watch it will watch it. Anyone who already enjoys watching boxing will know it will be a poor spectacle and all about money. Anyone who doesn't already enjoy boxing will either ignore it or watch it for whatever idiotic reason they choose.

The entire selling point of this fight is that McGregor is not a boxer and Mayweather is retired, so nobody can claim to have been misled.

To paraphrase Stewart Lee, this fight is like a flurry of sewage that comes into your house unbidden, whereas buying the Pay per view is like you constructed a sluice to let it in.

You seem to be thinking from a boxing point and could've done with listening to the podcast debate. But, as you're lazy and so self assured, I'll explain to you - as I have done many times over the years and wait for your stubborn resistance.

McGregor is huge in MMA and has a lot of followers. His followers are not boxing fans, but when he gets his arse kicked - there is a chance that these followers will become boxing fans. We're talking millions of people. This fight has more significance than your brain seems to be computing. Boxing loses on many fronts - Mayweather should be fighting Thurman or Spence but he will drag in a whole new audience, that ignored boxing, It makes money - big money. I don't like it but I understand what's about to happen. Think out the box, Gav.

You seem to be thinking from a boxing point

I like all the combination of lazy assumptions and abuse you included in something criticising my supposedly lazy assumptions.

"What are your thought's on this fight/event?" - you should rephrase if you meant "What are your thoughts on this podcast?"

What is your evidence for all these people flooding to boxing, having suddenly discovered the sport because a guy world famous as a boxer beat a guy world famous for not being a boxer? Mayweather's WWE bullshit was given the same billing, and his PPV numbers were as erratic as ever towards the end. I'm a boxing fan, so at various times I've thought "I'll try watching kickboxing/Pride FC/UFC, see if I enjoy those too"

I didn't mind kickboxing but disliked MMA - I find it highly unlikely that there are millions of MMA fans out there who've never thought of giving boxing a look, but will be converted because of this crossover event.

In my experience, the best way to introduce people to a sport is exposure, and that's best done via free-to-air, not ludicrously overpriced PPVs.

You've explained this to me many times over the years? Care to back that up with examples? I doubt it.

You seem to be thinking from a boxing point and could've done with listening to the podcast debate. But, as you're lazy and so self assured, I'll explain to you - as I have done many times over the years and wait for your stubborn resistance. .

I realize you were being rude to Gav, not me, but regardless -

I DID listen to that podcast, and didn't hear a single valid argument for why it should happen. ( Are you actually of the opinion that it SHOULD? )

There's NO chance MMA fans will suddenly watch boxing. Floyd isn't going to win via spectacular KO, he's going to stink out the joint and cruise to a nice safe 50th "victory." Of this there is ZERO doubt, unless McGregor takes a pre-arranged dive.

And if somehow McGregor trips over his own shoelaces, hits the canvas, passes out, and they pretend it was a Floyd KO, the MMA fans will just say:

"Big deal, let's see a boxer compete with MMA rules. Those pussies wouldn't even dare."

Totally fucking meaningless. - And that's my final lazy & self-assured opinion. :wave:

Edited by Cableaddict

There's NO chance MMA fans will suddenly watch boxing. Floyd isn't going to win via spectacular KO, he's going to stink out the joint and cruise to a nice safe 50th "victory. Of this there is ZERO doubt

Oh my God, I've just realised Floyd Mayweather is Lucy from the Peanuts cartoons!

--- what are the odds TUE breaks down and runs bawling to his daddy like he did against Maidana?

He can't get anymore disgraced nor can boxing. UFC is worth more than American boxing and reportedly better matchmakers and at officiating. Big money to be made on wagering and the preening highrolling crowd is the main motivation for the fight, but what if they don't come or place bets? I guess UFC figures the publicity to be worth it and boxing continues to lose fans.

A lot of UFC fans seem enthused about the event purely because they'd like Mayweather to get beaten up for his history of domestic violence. Yet to see any boxing fabs truly enthused about it - maybe because we've seen it all before?

Got to say i don't see that it will attracted new fans at all. As already alluded to, its not like boxing is some niche and unnoticed sport thats thus far undiscovered. The fans of UFC but not boxing are simply that because they prefer to see people kicked,knee'd and elbowed in the head and someones face smashed in while they are down and out on the canvas.

I think its bigger for UFC fans than it is for boxing fans in honesty. They are clinging onto this hope that somehow, someway, McGregor can catch Flloyd flush and lay him out. The fairytale, against all odds story. But if that did happen...then what? He probably doesn't go back to their beloved sport because boxing can make him even richer than UFC can. MMA fans can gloat their sport is better, their fighters are better etc. But who really cares? :noidea:

There's no arguing the success of UFC, in their branding, match making, the fighters are all hard bastards willing to fight each other (I believe) with no outside promoter having a vested interest. It appeals to many, but its not something I can particularly take to.

In my opinion its not something that can be mixed into the sport of boxing more than a one off gimmick fight like this and I think its more bad than good for boxing.

The fans of UFC but not boxing are simply that because they prefer to see people kicked,knee'd and elbowed in the head and someones face smashed in while they are down and out on the canvas.

Actually one of the MMA bouts I watched(and this is years ago so God knows who was fighting - I have a vague recollection of the name Brian but that may be nonsense) the stoppage came very quickly - the guy got taken down, the other guy immediately leapt onto his ribcage and started pounding down, and within a couple of shots the referee had stopped the bout.

Aside from basic curiosity on who will win, I am really lukewarm towards this spectacle. I know it was made for media and cash purposes only. It's just a media-monster. A hypefight. I wish they'd just get over with it already, but no-Money and Dana wanna cash on this! They wanna milk the hype for every penny. It's just bs. But I ain't buying it and I think most true boxing fans aren't either.

--- TUE owes $22 million in back taxes as per the irs, so, if his guarantee is $120 mil for this farce, he'll owe another $50-60 million on top of the $22 mil.

Dunno if the irs put a lien on his purse as in the past, but he can't help but be a magnet for legal trouble, a part of his DNA, hence the reason for the fight.

Hmmm, supposed to be an espn report, but major fight sites are all reporting it

Edited by LondonRingRules

--- TUE owes $22 million in back taxes as per the irs, so, if his guarantee is $120 mil for this farce, he'll owe another $50-60 million on top of the $22 mil.

I did wonder who his accountant was - he's basically said "Most of my money is tied up in assets, I'll pay you when I get paid from this fight" Except he'll get taxed for this purse as well, and the whole cycle will start again.

If Money makes McGregor look like a chump it might swing a few million kids back to boxing who have migrated to MMA thinking its the real deal. And in some ways it is because the fighters tell the promoters who they want to fight just like real boxers did BITD. Not the other way round like it is now.

And anybody who says they aren't interested in this event must be retarded or lying. Especially of they take the time to post about it. Everyone is interested in this fight/spectacle, call it what you will. Not everyone will pay for it, granted, but everyone is interested.

And anybody who says they aren't interested in this event must be retarded or lying. Especially of they take the time to post about it. Everyone is interested in this fight/spectacle, call it what you will. Not everyone will pay for it, granted, but everyone is interested.

Well I don't think I'm retarded but then if I were retarded, how would I know, right?

I'm not in the least interested in the event - I've read none of the press coverage, watched none of the previews, won't be watching the fight, won't be commenting on the fight. I am interested in the general idea that crossover events are good for one sport or the other, but that's about it.

I'm not in the least interested in the event... I am interested in the general idea that crossover events are good for one sport or the other, but that's about it.

Well why do you keep posting in this thread then? Just ignore it......

I am interested in the general idea that crossover events are good for one sport or the other

And the US tax system. And refuting your flawed premise;-)

I am interested in our sport of boxing and this fight is a big focal point and hot topic currently, so I am happy to read people thoughts and add to the discussion, but that doesn't mean I am interested in the fight itself.

I wont be watching the pantomime build up, I wont be paying for the PPV, and I won't be streaming it live, as I care too little about it to want to be up in the middle of the night for it. I WILL watch a rerun of it if it turns out to be something spectacular, or some highlights if there is a good KO....

No denying its a big deal though, however I'm just not a fan of the concept. It's all gone a bit WWE.

If Money makes McGregor look like a chump it might swing a few million kids back to boxing who have migrated to MMA thinking its the real deal.

That was something that I thought might be the case but I am not convinced it is. They are two totally different entities and while they are both forms of combat and brutal by their nature.....Boxing just seems to have more of an air of artform about it, structured, clear and concise rules and controlled aggression towards it....and while no doubt you could say the same about MMA, it is on the face of it like a glorified and legal bar fight.

Some people wont be looking at the skills, mindset and craft behind the intricacies of each sport. They just want to watch people kick the shit out of each other. And I think MMA ticks that criteria more so than boxing which can be very cagey and chess like. I think it's more likely a higher percentage of MMA fans are also boxing fans too, than boxing fans being MMA fans also. Those who like MMA but not boxing would likely be those types I mention above, who prefer the more brutal nature of it.