Lee Selby title fight added to ITV PPV card

WelshDevilRob

Welsh boxer Lee Selby (24-1, 9 KOs), will defend his IBF Featherweight title against Argentine Jonathan Victor Barros (41-4-1, 22 KOs). Selby will be making the third defence of his title. Barros is the IBF's mandatory challenger.

The fight was meant to take place in the US last year but Barros failed a medical and the fight was called off at the weigh-in. Barros has since appealed and seems a case of the medical report being wrong - he's maintained his place as the mandatory.

The twelve round bout will take place at Wembley Arena, Wembley, London, on July 15th. The card also includes Chris Eubank Jr vs Arthur Abraham. The show will be on ITV PPV. Promoter Richard Poxon. Undercard features Robbie Davies Jr vs Michal Syrowatka, Kid Galahad vs Dennis Ceylan and Martin Joseph Ward vs Anthony Cacace.

19105727_403812283353387_4797945033677129667_n.jpg?oh=414e19ac5e2ff5c37f183269e79ced23&oe=59E1C825

A lot of criticism of Eubank vs Abraham being a PPV but think this fight now legitimises it.

Re: Lee Selby title fight added to ITV PPV card

Hopefully Selby can shine on the night and set up the Frampton fight next. He's been so unlucky with exposure and opportunities. As a Brit I'm fairly happy at the undercard too, just not the PPV aspect because I'm tight! Actually looking forward to Davies Jr and Kid Galahad showcasing their talents again. Can ITV really be a future alternative to Sky and BN? On this card yes, but in the long run I doubt it

The last ITV PPV was a farce. ITV is one of the main freeview channels but couldn't get the PPV on my television. Needed to be part of a subscription channel or the internet.

Was that the David Haye absurdity?

The last ITV PPV was a farce. ITV is one of the main freeview channels but couldn't get the PPV on my television. Needed to be part of a subscription channel or the internet.

I'm in the same boat. I watch Boxnation/BT via my mobile subs and Sky Sports on Sky Go. I don't have a phone line at the moment so can't watch ITV PPV at home via a Freeview route. Thankfully I'm moving soon and will have the functionality available then, but it's a bit frustrating for many people in the same boat. It won't help subscription numbers either

It looks like Kid Galahad is now fighting former Quigg and Santa Cruz opponent Jose Cayetano (21-5) on the card. Probably with a view to drawing Quigg into a domestic battle should he win well.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see Lee getting his mandatory defense sorted. Not going to be easy - Barros has been ticking a long since the defeat to Mikey Garcia but is a former WBA champion. Has mixed with the likes of Celestino Caballero, Yuriorkis Gamboa, Juan Carlos Salgado and Miguel Roman. Got a good win in Japan, in an eliminator, against Satoshi Hosono. Barros has travelled a fair bit (Mexico, Uruguay, Germany, US), so will be unfazed fighting in the UK.

Sad news.

Lee Selby to defend IBF world title against Jonathan Victor Barros after mother's death

Welshman Lee Selby says he will be "focused" and "professional" as he prepares for a world title defence just days after the death of his mother.

Featherweight Selby, 30, will defend his IBF belt against Jonathan Victor Barros in Wembley on Saturday.

His mother, Frankie, died suddenly on Tuesday evening.

"I'm OK, I'm good. I'm here to do a job, and a job is what I'll do. [i'll] stay focused, stay professional," Selby told BBC Wales Sport.

"Saturday night I'm going to get a win and travel back home to Barry.

"Family comes first. In my life, that's what comes first. Family and boxing - that's all I am."

A 'brave young man'

Selby had been scheduled to face Barros last January in Las Vegas.

But the fight was called off with 24 hours' notice after the 33-year-old Argentine failed to meet the Nevada Athletic Commission's licensing conditions.

Selby and Barros will now meet on the same card as Chris Eubank Jr against Arthur Abraham.

"Lee and the team have made the decision that they will proceed with the contest on Saturday," said Selby's manager, Jamie Sanigar.

"Lee is a brave young man and he's here to do a job on Saturday."

Lee Selby to defend IBF world title against Jonathan Victor Barros after mother's death - BBC Sport

Whew - bloody good bout that was!

Watching Selby - Barros now. Round 3 in progress.

Selby looks good, but he's trying too hard for a big KO. His balance keeps getting off.

I can easily see this ending like Pac - JMM IV, with Selby face-first on the canvas.

If Barros can't find that opening to counter, then Selby wins this in a walk, but I wouldn't start celebrating just yet....

Round 4: Selby pulling back and fighting much more intelligently. His corner must have said something. Should be an easy fight now, if he stays this way.

Edited by Cableaddict

Watchng Eubank - Abraham now, and I'm literally disgusted with the utter cluelessness of the commentators. Eubank's connect percentage might be 10% at best, yet these guys are calling almost every punch as landing. Do these idiots serious not know what a block is?

One of these idiots even just said, "Eubank is throwing the jab from his hip, which makes it hard to see coming."

My God, the horror ......

THIS is what's wrong with boxing today.

I'm watching the rest of this fight with the sound off. I literally can't take it no more....

Edited by Cableaddict
  • Like 1

########## SPOILERS BELOW !!!! ##############

Watchng Eubank - Abraham now, and I'm literally disgusted with the utter cluelessness of the commentators. Eubank's connect percentage might be 10% at best, yet these guys are calling almost every punch as landing. Do these idiots serious not know what a block is?

Anyway, it was a clueless fight. Abraham is basically a walking punching bag now. And I don't think I can't say anything bad about Eubank Jr. based solely on this fight. He made it as easy as possible. I don't see Yildirim giving him a hard night.

Edited by Cableaddict

########## SPOILERS BELOW !!!! ##############

Anyway, it was a clueless fight. Abraham is basically a walking punching bag now. And I don't think I can't say anything bad about Eubank Jr. based solely on this fight. He made it as easy as possible. I don't see Yildirim giving him a hard night.

Agreed. Though I don't think I can say anything GOOD about Eubank based on this fight, except maybe that he was in great aerobic condition.

Despite the clueless commentators (possibly the worst I've ever hear, and that INCLUDES recent Teddy Atlas and Marv Albert total self-embarrassments on PBC)

Eubank basically looked like ass. He threw the kitchen sink, but his true connect percentage was maybe 5%, and I'm being generous. He constantly left himself open to counters. Groves &/or Smith will take his bloody head off. It won't even be close.