Spence vs Brooke - Post fight discussion

Cableaddict

#### SPOILERS BELOW ! (of course.)

----------------------------------------

Whew, I'm worn out from watching this bought. Impressive from both men, of course.

Now we know that Spence can take a big punch. We also know that he can stay calm under pressure.

Welcome to the bigs, young man !

Also, Spence will obviously learn from this fight & become even better.

IMO, the big takeaway is that, sometimes, he needs to stop thinking so much and just let his hands go.

Also: Use the jab more!

Edited by Cableaddict

Re: Spence vs Brooke - Post fight discussion

I watched the Showtime telecast so not sure what Khan said on the Sky Sports commentary. Is he still interested in a Brook fight? because lets face it, he ain't going to get a shot at Thurman and he would be foolish to step in there with Spence.

Following on from that, what's next for Brook? Move to 154 or stay around WW and maybe get a title shot at Pacquiao if possible?

I watched the Showtime telecast so not sure what Khan said on the Sky Sports commentary. Is he still interested in a Brook fight? because lets face it, he ain't going to get a shot at Thurman and he would be foolish to step in there with Spence.

Following on from that, what's next for Brook? Move to 154 or stay around WW and maybe get a title shot at Pacquiao if possible?

The obvious move is to cash-in with Kahn, if that fight can be made, then escape to the relative safety of 154.

Kudos to Brooke for his gutsy performance tonight, despite the loss. This one impressed me a lot more than the Golovkin fight.

--- boxrec Brits logged near 40 rd by rd pages with scoring from A to Z.

Froch exposed in his scoring. Thank goodness for the conclusive ending. Spence is the goods until he falls.

What did Froch have?

Post Fight interviewer:

"Errol Spence, you just survived Brook's early onslaught, and completely dominated him in the second half. You've won his IBF title !

What are you going to do now, go to Disneyland?"

Spence: "Nah, I'm going to the bakery, for some chocolate brownies. I sure didn't taste any during the fight."

Edited by Cableaddict

I had Spence down by a point going into the 10th. Then with the knockdown he ends the 10th up by a point. The first round was close, but I gave it to Brook. Could've easily gone the other way. There was another close round that I gave Brook (I believe the 5th).

At one one point I thought Spence was getting manhandled in there, until he turned it around in the 7th. Got his second wind and put a hurting on Brook. There was a body shot that nearly folded Kell in half, then he held on. Soon after his eye seemed to blow up and Errol would snap a jab, popping Brook right on that eye.

i don't like to say a fighter quit. Kell took punishment. If he felt he was done, I'm not questioning it.

Kudos to both warriors in there battling it out to entertain us.

And Foster didnt fuck this fight up. Hooray.

--- Some Brits say Brook is a quitter.

Had brook ahead by 2 after 7rds, then it was all spence. Fight was mostly ugly thanks to Brook. Thurman out until next year, so who steps up? I'd say he needs a breather like khan who gives a few rds without punishment before succumbing, but he only wants manny.

--- Some Brits say Brook is a quitter.

Had brook ahead by 2 after 7rds, then it was all spence. Fight was mostly ugly thanks to Brook. Thurman out until next year, so who steps up? I'd say he needs a breather like khan who gives a few rds without punishment before succumbing, but he only wants manny.

I think he needs another challenging fight. He's great, but clearly has not yet reached his peak.

Tonight's bout will hopefully have taught him a few lessons.

In particular, (as above) Throw more punches! (Don't give away rounds.)

Also, he has a great jab, but he doesn't use it enough. Given that Spence's head movement isn't very good, he really should be using that jab relentlessly, to keep opponents off of him. Now that he's fighting top guys, that becomes much more important.

SO:

I think whomever he fights next, it should be someone with fast hands and a high punch output.

Kahn comes quickly to mind. It probably wouldn't sell, but it' would be a great stay busy / learning fight. - And Kahn is surely desperate enough to take it. (If he doesn't get offered a fight with Pac or Brooke.)

Edited by Cableaddict

How Showtime crew scored the bout? I think that scorecards that had Spence up by one are generous to Brook. Up to 7 fight was very close, but I don't think Brook actually dominated this at any moment to the point of having it 5-1 for him after 6 rounds.

Edited by pittbox

I had Brook up handily after 6 and just saw him as the more dominant stronger of the two up until that point. Spence Jr managed to turn it around brilliantly. The left eye trouble began in 7 but that's when I thought Brook began to look really tired. There were no real crispness or snap to his punches and he looked like he was content to conserve energy as much as possible staying out of trouble. The eye slowly worsened as Spence Jr began to dominate, but even without the injury and knockdown I'm not sure Brook had the stamina to maintain the points lead I'd scored him to actually win over 12. Which raises a few questions about Brooks return to welterweight and the concerted real slog and sacrifices made to make 147 again. Reading that it's another broken eye-socket, but I remember after round 7 Ingle looking at Kell and the eye a tad concerned and saying to him ''Don't say a thing'' as if to keep the microphones listening from picking up panic, and I initially said at the time that his eye had gone again, only realising seconds later that it was the wrong eye from GGG. But it doesn't look good the way he's lost again and a lot will think he's a quitter. I think Spence Jr will only get better and look forward to some big nights, but Brook I'm not so sure. After last night I fear for him against Khan at 147 (which Khan will def demand), so hope he moves up to 154 and seeks titles and paydays elsewhere (Cotto perhaps)

Good performance by Spence. I think Brook started well, but maybe making so much weight took his toll on him. His eye looked bad, so I support him in stopping the fight. I had the fight 96-93 for Spence at the time of the stoppage.

Spence is a major player at 147, but I think the real next big thing at welterweight is actually a weightclass below right now.

Think its all been said. Truth be known then, Brook struggled with the weight and gassed after 6 despite all the pre fight hype to the contrary. I didn't score it religiously because I was capping it, re-encoding and uploading etc, but Brook was deffo ahead by R6.

Spence didn't look as good as he has in previous fights, his combos weren't getting through, but then again he hasn't been in such good company.

The only addendum for me to add to the thread is that given the second serious eye injury I believe its time for Kell to call it a day. It was obv on his mind when he dropped to one knee and will be on his mind for ever more, now multiplied by the factor of 2. Could end up permanently blind or worse if he doesn't see properly.

I was impressed with both guys and thought it was a great fight! Kell seemed in control early on but Spence took some good shots, came through it and switched gears.

Not sure what can be made with the weight issue really, if it was an problem that affected Brook in the fight or if its something people are looking to as an excuse.

Spence has a great future though for sure and I liked his post-fight interview, seems level headed and definitely would have learned alot from that fight.

It was also interesting Brooks interview. He didnt seem phased about making the 147 weight, obviously the eye(s) are a concern, but he is still a top level fighter and has fight options left.

Noticed Hearn state that Khan is a fight they are interested in, which seems a bit of a cash in choice, in the hope it might propel Brook up the ranks should he win that.

I was impressed with both guys and thought it was a great fight! Kell seemed in control early on but Spence took some good shots, came through it and switched gears.

Were you really impressed by Brook? Brook started strong but ultimately it cost him the fight. Brook punched himself out and Ingle told him during one of the early round's 'you're going to punch yourself out'. Brook didn't listen and kept putting a lot of energy into the early rounds. If he boxed clever and won the round and took breathers when doing so, he might of won the fight if he kept something in the tank for the later rounds.

[h=1]Why Did It Go Wrong For Kell Brook And What He Could Do Next[/h]

Sheffield star, Kell Brook lost his IBF crown in dramatic fashion when he was rescued by his corner and the referee in the 11th round at Bramall Lane, making Errol Spence Jr the new holder.

Brook had a good start, applying pressure and prevented Spence from getting off. But things took a rapid turn in the second half when Brook developed a cut and a swollen eye. His workrate dropped severely and the

American came back with combinations, eventually dropping Brook in the 10th and finishing it within the next three minutes.

Page not found - - Boxing News - Ring News24

I don't see where Kell was ahead after 7, I was watching it on Showtime and their commentators seemed to be ignoring Spence work and going ott when Brook connected, it was bizarre.

For me it was all Brook could do to keep Spence off in the first half then Spence bodywork started to pay dividends, hats off to Brook for reaching the 11th but there was only going to be one winner.

The crowd carried Kell from the moment he was knocked down in the 10th to when he'd had enough, battered and exhausted he just didn't want anymore.

]I don't see where Kell was ahead after 7' date=' [/b']I was watching it on Showtime and their commentators seemed to be ignoring Spence work and going ott when Brook connected, it was bizarre.

For me it was all Brook could do to keep Spence off in the first half then Spence bodywork started to pay dividends, hats off to Brook for reaching the 11th but there was only going to be one winner.

The crowd carried Kell from the moment he was knocked down in the 10th to when he'd had enough, battered and exhausted he just didn't want anymore.

I didn't score the fight, (these days I prefer to just enjoy them, then MAYBE score carefully on a second watch) but at the time I thought Brooke easily won the first four. I was amazed that Spence wasn't throwing more, or using more jabs to keep Brook off of him. - And mind you, I was rooting for Spence.

Now I read all these fans saying Spence was landing so many crisp jabs in the first seven rounds. I have no idea what fight they were watching. He threw SOME jabs, but not a lot of crisp ones, and at least half of them fell short or were blocked. Spence has a deadly crisp-jab when he actually uses it, but he seemed to have forgotten all about in in the first 4 rounds. He was just throwing range-finders.

My notes after the fight read, basically: Hopefully Spence will learn from this fight , not to give away so many rounds, and to use his fast jab a lot more!"

So, well, that's how I saw it.

Edited by Cableaddict

--- for the record, I insist on scoring even rds even that helps me see where any scoring controversy is.

Thats why I could never be a paint by the numbers judge. First 7 yeilded 5 even and two for Brooksie. There after 100% Spence which also supports the nature of the fight end. Judges also said to have Spence ahead in this fight.

--- for the record, I insist on scoring even rds even that helps me see where any scoring controversy is.

Thats why I could never be a paint by the numbers judge. First 7 yeilded 5 even and two for Brooksie. There after 100% Spence which also supports the nature of the fight end. Judges also said to have Spence ahead in this fight.

That sounds about right.

I try not to score even rounds only because I know most judges won't. IMO I think they SHOULD. It's ridiculous to have to give one fighter more points when you think it was that close. But, you know, they never asked ME. :laugh:

Were you really impressed by Brook? Brook started strong but ultimately it cost him the fight.

Yeah I meant more in terms that he started the fight very well, but it was a case of Spence not caving and then figuring our his own, better game plan.

It made for very enjoyable viewing until Brook crumbled.