[SPOILER] What did you make of Anthony Fowlers debut?

Anthony Fowler (debut), cousin of Robbie Fowler won against Arturs Geikins (3-7-1) in round one.

But, should it on been a DQ?

I think it should of been. That punch was very very late and I don't buy his excuse "I thought he was crouching over"

Not happy with the studio saying Geikins has to stay down to get the DQ. The ref should be stronger and decide if it's a DQ whether or not Geikins gets to his feet. Not sure if the ref knew what to do. Did he even take a point off Fowler?

Wasn't that impressed with Fowler and his claim to be an 'elite fighter' because he spars with world champions was bizarre.

BBBofC rules

3.38 The following acts shall not be permitted during a Contest:- (a) hitting below the belt:

(b) using the “pivot blow”:

(c) hitting on the back of the head or neck:

(d) kidney punching;

(e) hitting with the open glove, the inside, or the butt or the back of the hand, or with the wrist or elbow;

(f) holding, butting, or careless use of the head, shouldering, wrestling or roughing:

(g) not trying;

(h) persistently ducking below the waistline;

(i) intentional falling without receiving a blow;

(j) failing to break when so ordered, or striking or attempting to strike an opponent on the break;

(k) deliberately striking a opponent when he is dropping to the floor or when he is down;

(l) hitting an opponent after the termination of a round;

(m) any other conduct which a Referee may deem foul;

3.38.1 In any of the above cases the Referee shall name the Boxer at fault and call upon him to desist and may in his sole discretion have the power to caution or disqualify a Boxer for any such act with or without reference to any medical opinion.

3.38.2 A Referee may also deduct points from a Boxer’s score for breaches of these rules. He should indicate this to the Boxer, his corner and to the Steward in Charge or the Area Representative present by pointing to the offender, raising a finger or fingers to indicate the number of points deducted and call out the reason for the penalty,

Anthony Fowler (Pro Debut) vs Arturs Geikins HD - YouTube 3.25

Re:

What did you make of Anthony Fowlers debut?

I think Fowler was overly excited and wanted to make a statement on his debut. That being said, I think he should have got DQ'd. Same can be said for Okolie who hit his opponent whilst on the floor, he hit his shoulder and the punches were not devastating but if we want to be pedantic about it then he should be DQ'd too.

Re:

Two fairly unprofessional incidents in pretty quick succession. I thought they were both naughty and had it been higher profile more evenly contested bouts they may well have been DQ'd under those rules with correct reason. Fowler must definitely improve to match his own hype, but not many debuts show the best of the fighter so plenty to work on and settle down

Re:

Syrianpitbull got it spot on Fowler and Okolie were 2 crystal-clear DQ's in my eyes and you could also make a case for a Cordina DQ as well making it 3 on the night!

What's even more worrying to me is the fact that the UK has a fairly good rep as being an honourable place to come and box for a foreign fighter where you will get a fair crack of the whip on a decision (there are a few odd exceptions to this rule as we know). Incidents like this put that rep into doubt and with the world's cameras watching last night didnt look very good to me.

God knows what Fowler's opponent and corner thought, the man was on both knees when he was struck. And was irresponsibly laughed off by all the usual divvies on Sky as "exuberance" on Fowler's debut.

Re:

It seems to me that the culture of boxing has gone downhill in recent years - unwarranted title shots are forgiven because one fighter is exciting, people can't stay quiet during anthems or tributes, making weight seems to have become a bonus(remember the outrage Castillo got for coming in heavy against Corrales?), positive drug tests are excused, low blows, hitting after the bell and other illegal blows are excused etc.

The fighters should be given the message that these things are all totally unacceptable, so the ensuing shitstorm is enough to make them consider their actions a little more carefully.

Re:

It seems to me that the culture of boxing has gone downhill in recent years - unwarranted title shots are forgiven because one fighter is exciting, people can't stay quiet during anthems or tributes, making weight seems to have become a bonus(remember the outrage Castillo got for coming in heavy against Corrales?), positive drug tests are excused, low blows, hitting after the bell and other illegal blows are excused etc.

The fighters should be given the message that these things are all totally unacceptable, so the ensuing shitstorm is enough to make them consider their actions a little more carefully.

Nail firmly hit on the head there Gav!!

Boxing, the sport never too ashamed to drag itself further into the mud and lose all manner of respect for itself.

Re:

--- BBbc only follows rules when convenient, and facts are the rules listed are mostly fanciful in nature over the history of boxing.

His opponent a staked Latvian instead of goat and the poor debutante unnessarily pumped up by the suits into visions of sugar plum faeries in his mind and failed to hold on to his horses. Ref did warn him and wrongfully took away a legit KD, but probably should've taken a showy point from him instead. End result was preordained by fiat of the suits. The illegal blow was not a factor in the poor guys demise, matchmaking was...

Re:

And Eddie Hearn seemed to take a shot at Dirrel in the post fight interview. Saying "Geikins was tough, most fighters wouldn't get up, just like last week in a world championship fight."

Re:

Shouldn't the knockdown count, then a point deducted in this case? And a possible DQ.

Not in my opinion, its an offence to strike a man when he is dropping to the ground never mind when he's on both knees, Rep! Deffo DQ

So was Okolie, another no-arguments, deffo DQ, hes even put out an apology on Y/T; and you could make a case for Cordina walking too. Disgraceful night for British officiating.

Re:

Not in my opinion, its an offence to strike a man when he is dropping to the ground never mind when he's on both knees, Rep! Deffo DQ

So was Okolie, another no-arguments, deffo DQ, hes even put out an apology on Y/T; and you could make a case for Cordina walking too. Disgraceful night for British officiating.

I mentioned those 2 other fights in the other thread. Hadn't seen this fight until just this morning. Definitely looked blatant on Fowlers part. Froch was gushes about him looking terrific and overly excited. I wasn't all that impressed.