Can George Groves become world champion?

George Groves (25-3, 18 KOs) believes the time is right for him to be crowned World Champion when he meets Fedor Chudinov (14-1, 10 KOs) on Saturday, May 27 at Bramall Lane in Sheffield, live on Sky Sports Box Office.

The Hammersmith man will be challenging for the vacant WBA World Super Middleweight strap in his fourth World title attempt following two epic clashes with domestic rival Carl Froch and a split decision loss to Badou Jack.

Page not found - - Boxing News - Ring News24

Re: Can George Groves become world champion?

WBA World Super Middleweight

.....get it right Bud its the: WBA Super World super middleweight title. :thumb:

And no the Hammersmith bridesmaid hasn't got the bottle to take Chudinov.

.....get it right Bud its the: WBA Super World super middleweight title. :thumb:

And no the Hammersmith bridesmaid hasn't got the bottle to take Chudinov.

Press Release Selij. You think his team would get it right.

Just think there is something missing in Groves' personality to finish a man off - it cant be taught - you've either got it or you haven't, boxing skills aside. He had Froch at his mercy remember....? And couldn't smash his face in.

--- Bit harsh that. Nobody at the considerable work level has yet to smash Frochs face in. For me Groves major flaw seems to be wanting to preen himself in public absent any significant credentials other than falling short in title fights.

SMW isn't a massively deep division right now, and Groves is as tough as they come, so maybe he can manage one of the belts. (Does the WBA even count?)

I wouldn't bet on it, though. He's a little basic. Also, when Selij said, about his lack of killer instinct.

I don't think he beats Callum Smith, and Jesse Hart would probably kill him. (No IBF belt in Groves' future.) Today's DeGale is 50/50 fight.

And waiting in the wings, #14 with a bullet, is David Benavidez. There's a rumor going around that Benavidez just might be the best boxer currently in the game. I dunno who starts such rumors, there really should be a law. :whistle: Still Benavidez looks the goods.

Edited by Cableaddict

[h=1]McGuigan: ‘’Groves is the best super middleweight in the world’’[/h]Shane McGuigan says he believes George Groves (25-3, 18 KOs) is the best super middleweight on the planet and that the ‘Saint’ is ready to prove it starting on Saturday at Bramall Lane in Sheffield when he challenges Fedor Chudinov (14-1, 10 KOs) for the vacant WBA World title, live on Sky Sports Box Office.

Groves will be making his fourth World title attempt following two epic clashes with domestic rival Carl Froch and a split decision loss to Badou Jack, and McGuigan feels it is these fights that have helped shape the man he will be leading into battle, and who he says is the number one fighter in the division.

Page not found - - Boxing News - Ring News24

He may become a world champion, but he will not stay that long. He doesn't have the mindset of a champion. He loses it too quickly and gives away fights by spending himself too fast. Plus he is not that big for a smw of today, we have Jesse Hart who is 6'3, Gilberto Ramirez is nearly 6'3 himself and so is Callum "Mondo" Smith. 6'3 I mean.

I think he can definitely become champ on Saturday but like someone has already said I'm not sure for how long, I would like to see him fight Chris Eubank Jnr next and the winner gets DeGale, I can't see any of them going near Benavidez and Hart who has looked good admittedly against mediocre opposition

It's interesting that SMW will be the second division on the World Series tourney, this fall.

Not much depth right now, but a number of really good looking guys on the way up. (cough... Benavidez... cough....)

Maybe the series will shake things up.

I'm going for a Groves win on points and I see the Degale rematch being made pretty much straight after. Lots of PPV money involved, 2 belts and an abundance of needle between the pair. Groves is capable of becoming WC but like others have said he certainly seems to lack that killer instinct, ruthlessness, whatever you want to call it to actually make himself victorious in title bouts. I don't see Groves having improved under McGuigan particularly and so I believe we've seen the best and most fearless Groves in his earlier performances. In the current division he can still challenge and definitely win a belt on Saturday if he performs to his ability and sticks to his game plan. If successful the Degale rematch would then provide a nice little pension for retirement, having finally achieved his career ambition of WC.

I'm going for a Groves win on points and I see the Degale rematch being made pretty much straight after. Lots of PPV money involved, 2 belts and an abundance of needle between the pair. ......

That would technically be a lucrative trilogy, I LIKE it !

(And FWIW, I still say DeGale won their first bout. Man, can you believe that was six years ago? )

$$$$$$$SPOILERS****++

--- Groves pummeled for 5 rds, but scores hard flurry that set up ref for premature stoppage to give Groves the belt.

Understand that Groves last opponent in a coma state, so maybe some allowances and perspective, but a bad sign for Spence going into the Brook fight...

$$$$$$$SPOILERS****++

--- Groves pummeled for 5 rds, but scores hard flurry that set up ref for premature stoppage to give Groves the belt.

Understand that Groves last opponent in a coma state, so maybe some allowances and perspective, but a bad sign for Spence going into the Brook fight...

I wouldn't go that far. He had good moments before that.

--- Groves landed some showy shots, but the fact that chudinov work rate kept him on the back foot was the story of the fight.

The fact that gutnect...sp...will needed assisted living for the rest of what is likely a short life is the story of the stoppage. Groves did well to put it all together so I won't fault the ref for his judgement, especially after last weeks tragedy in Manchester. Prob beats Chunk in the rematch for good money, make a few low level def and retire a champ would be a wise choice IMO.

--- Groves landed some showy shots, but the fact that chudinov work rate kept him on the back foot was the story of the fight. .

Groves is happy on the backfoot these days anyway, so it's hard to tell whether he was unable or just unwilling to change. Chudinov was applying plenty of pressure, but Groves was catching him with a lot of sharp counters, so it wasn't like he just got a hail-mary.

Groves didn't seem to be throwing his right in the couple of rounds leading up to the finish but that's hopefully down to the way Chudinov fought and Groves' style and game plan for the night. Had him down on pts fearing the worst but he showed heart and instinct finally in a world bout, and in his interviews also showed a more relatable sincere guy talking emotionally about something that's deeply effected him. Maybe a fairly cordial build-up to DeGale Groves 2 unification might be on the cards now, I doubt it but the fight will surely be made soon

You know, all credit to Groves, but he is lucky that Chudinov is not a very hard puncher. He is an accumulation puncher. Coz Groves got hit with some solid shots, but he took them well-because of that fact. Anyway, he stepped on the gas when he needed to and finished the fight in good time.