Josh Taylor vs Ohara Davies is On

July 8th in Glasgow. This is a cracking match-up between two prospects. Ohara Davies is undefeated at 15-0, 12 KOs, while Josh Taylor's record is 9-0, 8 KOs.

Scotland's Taylor, 26, holds the Commonwealth super-lightweight title. Not sure if that will be on the line.

Boxrec listing Channel 5 as showing this. Thought Davies was with Matchroom?

18486206_1976840099216550_8164565791122868799_n.jpg?oh=16197b21fadd16dbe0cbae63142224ba&oe=59BB5FDC

Re: Josh Taylor vs Ohara Davies is On

Great fight. Really didn't see a way for this fight to be made between Cyclone and Matchroom, especially in Glasgow. Really impressed by Taylor, and hope he can outbox Davies. But I've been equally impressed by Davies too, and he certainly looks the more powerful. Happy days

Josh Taylor believes Ohara Davies is too slow and is going to be knocked out

Josh Taylor vs Ohara Davies is already one of the most talked about domestic battles of 2017, with both men setting social media ablaze with their mutual dislike for one another prior to the official announcement of this seminal clash.

There was a tense atmosphere in the air today at this opening press conference for what many are already calling a potential domestic fight of the year. Taylor and Davies both appeared extremely confident going into this career defining fight. Neither man wanted to give too much away as they came face to face for the first time ahead of this highly anticipated domestic grudge match on July 8th, where both men will put their respective titles (Taylor – Commonwealth, Davies – WBC Silver) on the line at the Braehead Arena in Glasgow.

Page not found - - Boxing News - Ring News24

Good to see two undefeated prospects facing off and risking their 0, which the promoters hold so dearly.

Losing the 0 isn't a huge issue at this stage as we have seen in recent years with Degale (losing to Groves) and to maybe a lesser extent as he had more experience Eubank Jr (losing to BJS).

I am sure I have seen Taylor, and only seen 1 or two of Davies. I'll have to find some fights of their to see how they look.

Oddmakers have Taylor as a very slight favour in this seemingly 50/50 matchup.

Taylor is a pretty slick southpaw, I've been impressed with his last couple of outings on C5 and have him slight favourite myself. Davies looks the stronger but certainly isn't anywhere near as mobile imo. Hats off to both fighters for signing the contracts. Still shocked that Davies is travelling to Glasgow (and on C5), so his team must have complete confidence in going into a real partisan Glaswegian crowd and winning. Hopefully Taylor pipes down a tad, as he doesn't need to come across as an arse now. That's been Davies' job throughout his career so I'm not expecting a twitter blackout in the buildup.

• 1 month later...

I don't like Taylor but that was a pretty one sided beating. Taylor may have had fewer pro fights but the gulf in experience between the two was apparent for all to see. Davies' flaws were exploited superbly.

I don't like saying I told you so but this is what I wrote about Davies after the Derry Matthews fight and I stand by every word of it

[h=2]Re: Ohara Davies[/h]

Just caught the Matthews fight. He's got plenty of potential but he's very raw still. At least 18 months and half a dozen fight from a world title shot. He lunges with his punches, cocks his right hand before throwing it and rather than hold his right glove alongside his chin he holds it a couple of inches below the it leaving him exposed to left hooks. Nothing that can;t be ironed out but a better fight than Matthews would have taken advantage on Saturday.

I didn't know what to expect from either guy to be honest as I hadn't seen either, or if I had, very little previously. I avoid all the build up bullshit, as the shenanigans annoy me, and I simply like to just watch the boxers in the ring for the most part, and a great percentage 95%+ are absolute dickheads.

Anyway it was a great fight to watch, and Taylor was clearly a level or two above Davies, who was there for a while but crumbled and caved in at the end. He just quit and gave up it seemed.

I just caught a video on IFL with him speaking after the fight. The interviewer introduces him, says thanks for speaking and says it must be hard for him after the loss....

His response was along the lines of: "It's more difficult for you.....I'm here with 6 figures in my bank account".

I guess that tells you all you need to know about this bellend ( and highlights why I try not to watch boxers outside of the ring :whistle: )

Josh and Josh, Taylor and Kelly, look like the best prospects in the UK right now. Davies was horribly overhyped with his mouth writing cheques his ass couldn't cash.

I speak to Ricky Sismundo's manager a fair bit and told him the one Brit Ricky should avoid was Taylor, and that was after the Dave Ryan fight. He's improved a lot since then as well.

I was rooting for Ohara and he had promise despite a lack of real experience. In the fight Taylor was the better schooled boxer. The Scot brawled and boxed, showed good power and chin. Only ten fights and 26 years old. In a tough division but looks like he could go all the way.

Ohara needs to work on his weaknesses and technique.

Josh Taylor is surely the biggest prospect on British rings along with Callum Smith.

I would say Callum is at contender stage.

I didn't think Davis would be exploited like that. His balance was complete shit the entire fight. And those whipping lefts to the body by Taylor were a thing of beauty.

I didn't think much of him when i saw him live at the Barclays Center on the Frampton/LSC I undercard. But he's definitely someone to keep an eye on.

Wasn't Davis talking about challenging Crawford? lol

Great fight. I had overlooked it. (thx.)

Taylor looked very good, but is he THAT good, or did Davies just fight foolishly? Davis couldn't get passed taylor's guard all night, but it's not like taylor is some defensive savant. Kind of basic, really. Davies simply didn't have a plan B. Sad, because I really like Davies.

He's trained by the same guy that trains Anthony Joshua, which may explain his one-dimensional approach.

Taylor has fast hands though, and stays calm under pressure. Very promising, but not the guaranteed star that I think Callum Smith is.

Definitely need (and want) to see more.

Edited by Cableaddict

Taylor looked very good, but is he THAT good, or did Davies just fight foolishly? Davis couldn't get passed taylor's guard all night, but it's not like taylor is some defensive savant. Kind of basic, really. Davies simply didn't have a plan B. Sad, because I really like Davies.

He's trained by the same guy that trains Anthony Joshua, which may explain his one-dimensional approach.

Taylor has fast hands though, and stays calm under pressure. Very promising, but not the guaranteed star that I think Callum Smith is.

I can see Taylor going in a similar mould to Groves, career wise. Promising prospect and less appreciated than others around him (See Degale in Groves' case) but ultimately as good as them if not more so ability wise. But might just be a level below those at the very top.

Yeah...that's some food for thought. Future will show. I think Taylor showed he definitely is a force to be reckoned with but how far he will go depends on the way he will be managed and how many big names he will fight and how fast he will be brought up. I think right now he is def ready for European level fighters, all the best. He should spend his next, say, at least 6 fights fighting those kind of fighters. And then try for someone in the top 5.