Can drug testing slow down a fighter?

Billy Joe Saunders insinuated Monday that Gennady Golovkin hasn’t been as effective in his past two fights because he has been thoroughly tested for performance-enhancing drugs.

Saunders’ accusation was part of his response to a question about who would win the highly anticipated middleweight championship showdown between Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez on September 16. The unbeaten WBO middleweight champion made the inflammatory remarks during a press conference to promote his mandatory title defense against Georgia’s Avtandil Khurtsidze on July 8 at Copper Box Arena in London.

“I think that’s gonna be a close fight,” Saunders said of Alvarez-Golovkin. “I thought Golovkin [would win] comfortable at first, but Canelo’s got a few tricks. It all depends if Golovkin’s got a bit old, isn’t it? His last fight, let’s face it, he wasn’t the best Golovkin that we’ve seen two or three years ago. He’s slowed down a bit.

Billy Joe Saunders insinuated Monday that Gennady Golovkin hasn’t been as effective in his past two fights because he has been thoroughly tested for performance-enhancing drugs.

Saunders’ accusation was part of his response to a question about who would win the highly anticipated middleweight championship showdown between Golovkin and Canelo Alvarez on September 16. The unbeaten WBO middleweight champion made the inflammatory remarks during a press conference to promote his mandatory title defense against Georgia’s Avtandil Khurtsidze on July 8 at Copper Box Arena in London.

“I think that’s gonna be a close fight,” Saunders said of Alvarez-Golovkin. “I thought Golovkin [would win] comfortable at first, but Canelo’s got a few tricks. It all depends if Golovkin’s got a bit old, isn’t it? His last fight, let’s face it, he wasn’t the best Golovkin that we’ve seen two or three years ago. He’s slowed down a bit.

Saunders: Aging Golovkin Has Slowed Down Due to "Drug Tests" - Boxing News

Re: Can drug testing slow down a fighter?

Thread title's a bit misleading - Saunders is saying Golovkin's a drug cheat, so the reason he's slowed down is 'cos he hasn't been able to dope effectively in recent fights. In which case, of course it'll slow down a fighter - see Mosley on that score. But correlation is not causation, and Billy Joe Saunders knows nothing about anything, so unless he wants to provide evidence for the slander...

Re: Can drug testing slow down a fighter?

I hate BJS more and more each time I see him.

Saw a clip of him at a press conference the other day asking Khurtsidze, who speaks no or very little English if he was a good penis!? Just getting him to say "yes". Fucking idiot.

I'm hoping beyong hope Khurtsidze catches him nice and clean and nearly takes his head off! Fucking gobshite.

• 2 weeks later...