Yunier Dorticos back against Shumenov

BoztheMadman

On April 29th, interim WBA cruiserweight champion Yunier Dorticos (21-0) is finally returning after almost a year away from the ring, to take on the full WBA champion Beibut Shumenov (17-2) in Las Vegas. Dorticos has scored 20 knockouts and in his last fight 20 May last year stopped the solid Youri Kayembre Kalenga (who went the distance against Lebedev and dropped him once) in the 10th round. Unless the layoff has slowed him down, I trust Dorticos will thrash Shumenov, who in my own view is undeservedly holding the full title. He's just getting preferrential treatment by the WBA because he previously held their lhw title. I have Dorticos winning by another late tko.

Re: Yunier Dorticos back against Shumenov

Shumenov is toast.

This is a ridiculous mis-match.

Mis-match or not mismatch, in the future Sumenov may be remembered as two-division world champion and a guy, who lost to B-Hop only by "split" decision ;-)

Mis-match or not mismatch, in the future Sumenov may be remembered as two-division world champion and a guy, who lost to B-Hop only by "split" decision ;-)

:laugh: Yeah...Shumenov is just a strong guy who is limited technically and in his early career was preying on washed up former champions and names. Since B-Hop wasn't yet washed up, he couldn't beat him.

Any reason why he has been inactive?

Which one? they both haven't fought since last Spring.

With Dorticos, it's only a guess, but he's had a lot of trouble making weight in the past. I'm quite surprised he's still at CW. Maybe that was the problem.

Or maybe he's trying to rid himself of some kind of banned diuretic, since he's now at the elite level and will not be able to avoid getting tested. (Unless he fights exclusively in Russia.)

Or maybe bad management?

Of course, when all else fails, blame it on Al Haymon. :laugh:

--- Just about every Cuban has problems getting into the mix of boxing likely due to duplicitous Cuban Americans having more influence in their early pro ventures resulting in bad long term contracts.

Dort was like Ortiz in being no more than a grade B AMA on a stacked Cuban team and has fought next to nobody as a pro. Shumenov gets a lot of undeserved derision, but in his 6 pro fight whipped up on Montell Grffin like nobody's business and follows with Mitchell and Campillo twice, so this notion that he is some kind of untutored clod is grossly erroneous. He was self promoted early and huge guy very tight at LH. Against Popkorns he didn't have a trainer or a soul in his corner though someone must have lifted a stool for him, and yes, pops was shot but still knew how to stink up a fight.

I see this as a battle of unprovens at 200, but all in all Shu the better, more tested fighter and still young. Will he have a trainer and corner for this? Who knows?

• 2 weeks later...

I love Dorticos.. chili heatwave are my favorite with sour cream dip

Jokes aside, he's got the record of a KO monster but he needs some activity and some names on his record which is hard because he's part of the 'who needs me' club, right? I mean as a rival promoter why would you bring him in against your fighter? High risk low reward