What do you make of Mikkel Kessler's comeback?

WelshDevilRob

The Viking Warrior Returns: Mikkel Kessler announces comeback

Danish boxing legend Mikkel Kessler (46-3, 35 KOs) announced his plans to return to the ring at a press conference today at the Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers Hotel.

The former five-time World Champion, who retired following his May 2013 rematch with Carl Froch at the O2 in London, will make a sensational comeback later this year with a date and opponent to be confirmed.

‘’I want to prove that I can become the best again. The goal is to become World Champion for the sixth time,'' said 'The Viking Warrior'.

‘’I’ve always said that if I wake up one day and the motivation is there, I’ll take the chance, and now, the timing is right. I still have a great team around me with a chef, physical trainer, therapist and boxing coach. The desire is still there, and I’m ready to make it happen.

‘’I’m older, and so is my body, but I’ve kept in shape, and I’m still in weight. I’m 100 per cent motivated to do this. I’ve missed the training camps, and I’ve missed the focus you get from boxing - to have one goal, and to do your best to achieve it.

‘’It’s not about the money; it’s about doing what my heart tells me to do. I’ve always love big challenges, and this is a chance to really test myself.

Read more: The Viking Warrior Returns: Mikkel Kessler announces comeback - - Boxing News - Ring News24

Re: What do you make of Mikkel Kessler's comeback?

I like when a boxer can call it a day at the right moment like Froch or Kessler, so I have mixed feelings about this comeback. I still think he can be a top fighter in this division, though.

I like when a boxer can call it a day at the right moment like Froch or Kessler, so I have mixed feelings about this comeback. I still think he can be a top fighter in this division, though.

Froch has been tweeting about a third fight. Stranger things have happened.

• 2 weeks later...

To he honest SMW is not stacked that much to say he doesn't have a chance. WBA holder Zeuge would be beaten easily by Kessler, WBC is vacated, DeGale is not a "dominant" champ and Ramirez hardly fights and he has a terrible opponent in the first defence.

--- He's not been the same fighter after neuro damage from Ward headbutt that left him half blind and crosseyed.

He took a long layoff to comeback Ok, and I'd think he'd struggle to make 168 and fighting a smith jr or this new monster Blivol sp at LH doesn't sound prudent. Maybe Froch at 172 in Wembley would be ok.

He's been retired for 4 years and 38 years old. Maybe best to stay retired while he still has all his marbles. Will he becoming back as a super middleweight? and can anyone see him beating and of the current champs?

I wouldn't be surprised to see him only come back for a few fights leading up to a big payday - Froch vs Kessler 3?

--- He's not been the same fighter after neuro damage from Ward headbutt that left him half blind and crosseyed.

He took a long layoff to comeback Ok, and I'd think he'd struggle to make 168 and fighting a smith jr or this new monster Blivol sp at LH doesn't sound prudent. Maybe Froch at 172 in Wembley in front of 80,000 people would be ok.

I've corrected that for you

Kessler losing to Calzaghe was one of those fights i predicted completely wrong. I picked Mikkel to stop him in like the 6th or 7th round. I'm somewhat happy that he's making a comeback, just not sure how much he has left to offer. Didn't he retire the first time because he was only chasing big fights, that he wasn't able to land? Or am i confusing that with Froch?

Kessler losing to Calzaghe was one of those fights i predicted completely wrong. I picked Mikkel to stop him in like the 6th or 7th round. I'm somewhat happy that he's making a comeback, just not sure how much he has left to offer. Didn't he retire the first time because he was only chasing big fights, that he wasn't able to land? Or am i confusing that with Froch?

Was at the Calzaghe fight, was tight until Joe took over from the mid rounds. With regards to the comeback, it's all going to depend on how his body holds up in training camp. At 38-years-old, I can't see him doing much. His name could land him a decent payday but not much more unless he has winnable fights in Denmark.