Lewis v Tyson: 15 Years On

WelshDevilRob

Lewis v Tyson: 15 Years On

by Lee Skavydis

http://www.ringnews24.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/tyson-lewis555.jpg

A Lennox Lewis v Mike Tyson bout had been debated many years before the two former champions finally squared off against one another on June 8th, 2002 at the Pyramid Arena in Memphis, Tennessee in what was then the richest fight in boxing history.

When Mike was released from prison back in 1995, West Ham born Lennox Lewis had already become, and had been the WBC champion of the world. Riddick Bowe, who would be a future belt holder, tasted the power of Lewis in their amateur match for the Olympic gold medal in 1988 when he was knocked out. His stoppage defeat was enough of a turn off to face him in the professional ranks, even vacating the WBC crown to avoid exchanging leather.

Read more: Lewis v Tyson: 15 Years On - - Boxing News - Ring News24

---------------------------------

Wow! 15 Years! Where has the time gone? Watched this PPV event at my best friends house, who was a huge Tyson fan. Big Len did the business that night despite fighting Tyson and a bent ref.

Where did you watch it and what did you make of the crazy build-up and the fight?

Re: Lewis v Tyson: 15 Years On

--- Watched it at my brother' place a year after he'd spent 4 weeks in ICU in a coma.

Amazingly he recovered, so at his place with a childhood friend we iced the beer and fired the grill in prep. I guess I wrote my first boxing analysis that was copied and passed around his office to much praise, the gist of which Tyson favored the first 4 rds and Lewis thereafter. At one point I got fed up with HBO blather and stepped out on the back patio in the cool evening breeze to settle in his new patio furniture and watched a couple rds, prob the 5-6th thru the glass patio door. Lewis put a proper beatdown on the circus act Tyson had become. Less than a year later bro passed in his sleep, so that was our last big get together. Still have that lawn furniture which is beat up now as much as he'd become.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I've seen this fight a few times but haven't watched it in a while now. Seeing a great boxer like Tyson fight for money only rather than for respect and for the sport is a sad sight. He was a totally different fighter that night. Knew he couldn't win and just wanted to make money. He was past his prime by a long long time

• 2 weeks later...

Is it fair to say that Lennox was too big and that Tyson was a little past his prime?

Oh yeah. I don't like people who claim this was an even match, because THAT Tyson was nowhere near the pre-jail Tyson and was also worse than the 1996 Tyson. Even tho Lewis is actually slightly older, he started fighting as a pro later than Mike and had nowhere as many fights as him.