Shaefer & Sauerland announce the "World Boxing Super Series."

Cableaddict

Re: Shaefer & Sauerland announce the "World Boxing Super Series."

FWIW, bearing in mind that this tourney will start in September, Below are all the important bouts currently scheduled through July, in those two weight divisions. It looks like virtually everybody will be available, including these guys with at least 3 months off. Given the money involved, I expect they will all be considering signing up. The below fights obviously just became a lot more important, since some of the losers will probably drop too low in the queu to make the list.

note: If anyone knows of any championship bouts in these two divisions, currently scheduled for the END of the year, please post them here. Those would likely be the only names not in play for this tourney, unless the governing bodies try to pull some exclusionary crap.

----------------- SMW:

May 20

Andre Dirrell vs Jose Uzcategui, for vacant IBF interim SMW title

David Benavidez vs. Rogelio Medina, WBC SMW eliminator

May 27

George Groves vs. Fedor Chudinov, for vacant WBA SMW title

======================================================

----------------- CW:

May 20

Noel Gevor vs. Krzysztof Wlodarczyk, IBF CW eliminator

June 3

Olanrewaju Durodola vs. Dmitry Kudryashov, rematch, CW

June 24

Krzysztof Glowacki vs TBA, 10 rounds, CW

Mateusz Masternak vs. Ismayl Sillah, 10 rounds, CW

Edited by Cableaddict

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tyron Zeuge will defend WBA Regular SMW June 12th in Germany (Wetzlar) against Paul Smith. Can't contain my excitement at this. Mmmm

I heard on Polish TV that possible line-up for CW include: Dorticos, Tabiti, Wlodarczyk-Gevor winner, Kudryashov-Durodola winner and Makabu.

Sweet. - But no mention of Usyk? He's clearly the prize. Without him involved, the entire tourney is diminished. Usyk just fought Hunter in April, and has nothing scheduled yet for the rest of the year, so the timing seems perfect.

--- Why would Usyk lower himself to this farce when he and Loeffler have bigger fish to fry?

$50 mil. total prize money, split 16 ways. That means at LEAST $5 million for each division champion, maybe even $10 million.

Plus the same prestige that Ward won (and then squandered) winning the super-six.

- And who says it's a farce?

If Usyk is in, plus Dorticos, Wlod, Kudryashov (the likely winners from pittbox's info) and Makabu, that's an all top-five lineup. - Not to mention, Usyk might otherwise have a hard time getting some of these guy to fight him, back in "the real world." This tourney forces the issue.

What if they also get Briedas (who also has nothing scheduled right now ?) That would literally be the top 5 CW in the sport right now, plus the very dangerous Makabu, plus two more guys on the way up. -All fighting for $25 million, with a HUGE international promotion behind it, and with the whole thing over in 9 months.

Farce, did you say? :noidea:

Edited by Cableaddict

If this tournament happens, Usyk won't have any decent challengers for his belt. It will remind me of Bute at times of Super Six. People kept saying he's so great and Froch proved otherwise ;-) I don't meant that Usyk isn't probably the best CW at the moment, but such situation won't help him.

Wlodarczyk beats Gevor by SD. 116-112 for German on my card. This guy is so weak right now. He only throws jabs and body punches. Clearly not a strong addition to the tournament.

I heard on Polish TV that possible line-up for CW include: Dorticos, Tabiti, Wlodarczyk-Gevor winner, Kudryashov-Durodola winner and Makabu.

I hope that is true as it would certainly be interesting however I just cannot see Mayweather throwing Tabiti into the mix just like that!

if its anything like the super six then it will be great watching as it will pit the best against the best....just needs to be promoted right as I felt the super six was very under the radar at the time.

Wlodarczyk beats Gevor by SD. 116-112 for German on my card. This guy is so weak right now. He only throws jabs and body punches. Clearly not a strong addition to the tournament.

I haven't seen this fight yet, but I have no reason to doubt you. Sad to hear. Wlod has always been a very solid, fairly gifted fighter.

Maybe age is catching up with him.

I haven't seen this fight yet, but I have no reason to doubt you. Sad to hear. Wlod has always been a very solid, fairly gifted fighter.

Maybe age is catching up with him.

He basically does less than Rigondeaux does in his fights. And Wlod is a puncher/swarmer type, so you can imagine how terrible he looks just walking forward with his high guard, throwing ocassional jab.

He basically does less than Rigondeaux does in his fights. And Wlod is a puncher/swarmer type, so you can imagine how terrible he looks just walking forward with his high guard, throwing ocassional jab.

I found a link:

Krzysztof Włodarczyk - Noel Gevor. Skrot walki - wideo - Polsat Sport

Whadda' you guys think? Is Wlod on the way out?

His arms & general movement do seem a little slower than in is prime, but his defense is still good. Gevor is no slouch, he moves well and has very fast hands. I think Wlod went mostly to the body because Gevor has long arms, fast hands, and really good defensive footwork. He's a tough guy to hit in the head.

My opinion of Wlod hasn't changed much after this. He's still a solid, tough, dangerous CW, who will give anybody a hard night but never be a champion. He's sort of the top-end of CW gatekeepers. I'd love to se him in the tournament.

Edited by Cableaddict

He didn't give a hard fight to Drozd, but this guy is basically gone. Keep in my mind that Wlod actually had been outpointed severely by Danny Green until Aussie totally gassed out in the penultimate round. Green was outclassed by old Tarver in the previous fight. His defence is good. He kind of remind me of Arthur Abraham. But he actually does more in his fight. Anyway, he wasn't competetive at all against Ramirez. Wlod may be hard to knock out, but I don't think he gives a tough fight on points against anyone in this tournament if he didn't let his hands go.

• 3 weeks later...

--- Why do I think 1/3rd of the $50 million advertised is gonna end up split between Schaefer and Saurland, what used to be known as the SS in nazi germany?

Nah.

Putin will pocket 1/2.

Then "The new SS" will take half of what's left.

Then half of the rest will mysteriously disappear.

The winner of the CW division will probably end up with a cheap trophy and cab fare home. ;-)

But heck, I'm still gonna' enjoy the heck out of this.

Where did you read this?

Wlodarczyk's promoter said that Usyk isn't really considered as a part of this tournament, but it'd the best if they can work this out.

Wlodarczyk's promoter said that Usyk isn't really considered as a part of this tournament, but it'd the best if they can work this out.

Maybe that's just wishful thinking by Wlod's team.

When the tourney first announced their two September divisions, they announced specifically that they would be trying to get Usyk. He's literally the only name they specifically mentioned.

Well, we shall see......