Berto vs Porter - Excited?, who wins?

WelshDevilRob

Andre Berto & Shawn Porter Meet in Welterweight World Title Eliminator

http://www.ringnews24.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Andre-Berto-Shawn-Porter.jpg

Former world champions Andre Berto and Shawn Porter are set to collide in a welterweight world title eliminator on Saturday, April 22 in the main event of SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING, presented by Premier Boxing Champions, from Barclays Center, the home of BROOKLYN BOXING™.

Berto (31-4, 24 KOs) and Porter (26-2-1, 16 KOs) will battle in a 12-round eliminator for the WBC welterweight title live on SHOWTIME with televised coverage beginning at 9 p.m. ET/6 p.m. PT. The winner will become the mandatory for the WBC crown picked up this past weekend by Keith Thurman, who unified the WBA and WBC titles with a victory over Danny Garcia on CBS at Barclays Center.

Read more: Andre Berto & Shawn Porter Meet in Welterweight World Title Eliminator - - Boxing News - Ring News24

-------------------------------------

Surely, this is a formality for Porter? Anyone think Berto will win?

Re: Berto vs Porter - Excited?

I actually like the fight. Kind of wish it could've been scheduled several months ago. Have to favor Porter at this point. I'll be attending this of course. ;)

Can see what you mean - it probably will be entertaining. I just think Berto is about to go the Robert Guerrero route of being a big name B side. Trouble is Guerrero seems tougher. I know Berto beat Ortiz but he looked far from convincing to me - a bit fragile and unsure. I think this Porter fight could be a run of defeats for Berto and unlike Guerrero he's likely to keep getting stopped.

It's a good bounce back fight for Porter, against a recognizable name. Should it be headlining a card? Probably not. But it'll be fun while it lasts. Even someone like Collazo probably deserves a fight against Porter, considering his win against Vasquez last time out. Which i think is a more valid win, than stopping Vic Ortiz a year ago. Then again PBC is recycling Ortiz against Bam Bam Rios in April. Hopefully Porter doesn't get sidelined for 9 months after he gets past Berto.

It's a good bounce back fight for Porter, against a recognizable name. Should it be headlining a card? Probably not. But it'll be fun while it lasts. Even someone like Collazo probably deserves a fight against Porter, considering his win against Vasquez last time out. Which i think is a more valid win, than stopping Vic Ortiz a year ago. Then again PBC is recycling Ortiz against Bam Bam Rios in April. Hopefully Porter doesn't get sidelined for 9 months after he gets past Berto.

Ortiz vs Rios is a bad blood fight from years ago - would've been better years ago. True, Collazo has bounced back and maybe Berto can. Hopefully, all these names aren't what PBC has in-store for Porter and Thurman :)

• 1 month later...

Re: Berto vs Porter - Excited?, who wins?

Remember 10 or so years ago when Berto was considered the next big thing and a real threat to Mayweather! To be fair he did LOOK the part, seemed quite flashy and could certainly punch.

Funny how things work out and I know there are always hot prospects that just never quite materialise. I guess Berto did quite well in terms of his career but he never matched up to the hype I don't think. Maybe in the same vein as Jeff Lacy.

I always wondered what would've happened to Berto and his career if he was able to fight Mosley. Which was signed, then cancelled because Berto went to Haiti to help with the earthquake relief.

Damned good fight! Berto seems a little past it, but he fought tough, and even made a few adjustments during the fight.

Porter looked fantastic. Of course, he had the perfect opponent for his basic, aggressive style, but he also made the most of it. He was fast, crisp, accurate.

I don't see him ever beating Thurman, but I'd LOVE to see the rematch.

--- Porter's biggest problem is even against a fading Berto he can't get A side money and refereeing and officiating that Berto, Brook, and Thurman got against him. He's good enough to physical beat up anyone, but in this case the idiot ref didn't do Berto any favors by prolonging the beatdown.

Berto vs Boner would do solid numbers in a action fight Berto could win.