What to make of Breazeale, post- Ugonoh ?

Cableaddict

Man, what did I just see Sat night?

You know I'm a huge fan of Ugonoh, despite having questions about his defense. And you know I agree with everyone else that Breazeale has looked rather dismal in his last few fights, though I thought he looked terrific earlier in his career.

So it was disturbing to see Breazeale enter this fight with Ugonoh at more than 10 lbs over his typical "trim" weight. Clearly he hasn't been training enough. One would assume he has given up on his career and is just trying to make a few bucks as he slides into obscurity.

- And then he fights a brilliant fight. A little sloppy, but aggressive, tough as nails, and he didn't gas nearly as much as you would have expected.

Also dat chin. Ugonoh hits a TON, and was landing pretty well. I guess Brezeale must have been partially slipping those punches, as opposed to the AJ final knockout which hit him flush. I just rewatched highlights from Breazeale vs AJ, and I'm surprised at how well Brezeale took a lot of AJ's punches, as well. He was much more in that fight than I had remembered. AJ had a pretty tough time with him, until the end.

Still, he didn't land flush too much on AJ, and was ultimately outclassed.

Well ..... I just don't get it. Has Breazeale found a new motivation to fight, and is also somehow a better boxer at 263 lbs? Maybe he just put on muscle?

Whatever the reason, I'm thrilled to see Breazeale do so well. Izu is young (ish) and will learn from this. (Maybe he'll learn that he needs a new trainer) and Breazeale has the physical presence to wow the casuals, in his next few bouts which will surely be against top guys.

Edited by Cableaddict

Re: What to make of Breazeale, post- Ugonoh ?

And as for Ugonoh. Hmmmm, he fought really well, offensively, but sure enough his defense was pretty crappy.

Considering that Parker has shown the same faults in recent fights, I'm REALLY starting to think that Kevin Barry is a shit trainer, who's lucky to have two naturally talented guys in his stable. I think both men need to move on, and fast.

I think I underrated Breazeale and he proved he's a top 10 guy. Who cares that he looks crappy thorough the bout if he manages to win it anyway? His toughness and no fear of exchanging are very important for him.

And as for Ugonoh. Hmmmm, he fought really well, offensively, but sure enough his defense was pretty crappy.

Considering that Parker has shown the same faults in recent fights, I'm REALLY starting to think that Kevin Barry is a shit trainer, who's lucky to have two naturally talented guys in his stable. I think both men need to move on, and fast.

I think you may be right about Barry. I've a feeling Fury will beat Parker although he may not get the verdict.

What a cracking fight that was, Brezeale took some heavy heavy shots and he seemed to have a FU attitude as well, obviously not technically but in my opinion that's the best heavyweight fight in many a year(ok they may have only been two good HW fights in the last five years) :)

--- Dave, them's some mighty big see in the dark earrings you sport...:thumb:

Yeah, Breazeale as poor as he is has fought and beat better fighters than Wilder and looked just as bad doing it. Man, if those two got together it'd be 3 rounds of throwing but not landing punches before a fight could begin.

Not enough to make me a fan. Breazeale is just a big, strong guy who does things well enough to win-against guys that are not top level. He got lucky against Mansour, as you know. I wasn't sure about Ugonoh and now I know he's not world class. He did put Breazeale down. But to be stopped in 5 against a guy who looked chanceless against Joshua, you can't be world class.

Edited by Cableaddict

So CA, is this Ugonoh chap still going to rule the division in 2 years? Or will that now be Breazeale? :whistle:

We need to keep a tally on your tips / prospects success rate :haha:

Anyway it sounds like it was a good scrap. I'll catch it on my lunch.

I just watched the fight.....

Fair to say Izu is good on the attack, but he looks to have come unstuck against a tough, rugged opponent who simply doesn't crumble over under a bit of power.

Great fight....Breazeale I think more weathered the initial barrage from the superior boxer and then broke Izu's heart when he got up and came back at him. He showed guts and heart, but he isn't a world class boxer.

Izu is relatively young in terms of boxing career, and he looks decent, but up against a crisis it looks like he folds, which is never good.

Not enough to make me a fan. Breazeale is just a big, strong guy who does things well enough to win-against guys that are not top level. He got lucky against Mansour, as you know. I wasn't sure about Ugonoh and now I know he's not world class. He did put Breazeale down. But to be stopped in 5 against a guy who looked chanceless against Joshua, you can't be world class.

Agreed. You can see that Ugonoh has all the natural talent & skills, but his defense is terrible.

Like I said, maybe time for a new trainer. - And no need for that "maybe."

After this fight, and Parker's OBVIOUS LOSS to Andy Ruiz, Kevin Barry should literally be embarrassed right now.

Agreed. You can see that Ugonoh has all the natural talent & skills, but his defense is terrible.

Keep in mind that Izu fought below 91 kg in K-1 and started boxing career as a cruiserweight. From then, he has gained a lot of muscle. Training focused on building mass may not have helped his stamina. Of course it's better for him to be muscular 100 kg guy, than fat 100 kg guy, but it's hard to expect good stamina from him if he puts a lot of effort on gaining weight, not being tested enough in longer fights.

Keep in mind that Izu fought below 91 kg in K-1 and started boxing career as a cruiserweight. From then, he has gained a lot of muscle. Training focused on building mass may not have helped his stamina. Of course it's better for him to be muscular 100 kg guy, than fat 100 kg guy, but it's hard to expect good stamina from him if he puts a lot of effort on gaining weight, not being tested enough in longer fights.

That's really interesting. What's surprising is how well he moves. Fast & fluid. Usually when guys put on that much muscle, they get slow. He must do a lot of stretching & plyometrics. Sadly, VO2 capacity can only be improved a very small amount, and all that muscle needs a lot more oxygen & waste removal.

AJ may have the same problem.

Edited by Cableaddict

That's really interesting. What's surprising is how well he moves. Fast & fluid. Usually when guys put on that much muscle, they get slow. He must do a lot of stretching & plyometrics. Sadly, VO2 capacity can only be improved a very small amount, and all that muscle needs a lot ore oxygen & waste removal.

AJ may have the same problem.

AJ has already shown he doesn't have the same problem - see his one sided beatdown of Breazeale. Maybe, it's time you became a believer :whistle:

AJ has already shown he doesn't have the same problem - see his one sided beatdown of Breazeale. Maybe, it's time you became a believer :whistle:

I've already said several times that AJ is starting to get more loose & fluid, primarily in his last fight. - But he still has a long way to go. And he sure could use more variation in his offense. And his defense is still extremely questionable. (though also improving)

Anyway, I was referring to stamina when I mentioned AJ. It's still his achilles heel. I doubt he can go 12 hard rounds, and I don't see how that can improve, without PEDs.

And I'm def not a believer yet. Not even close, really. - But with Wilder's recent embarrassing performance, with Bogdan Dinu being virtually ignored by his promoter, with Ruiz being robbed of his victory over Parker, and with Parker + Ugonoh seemingly unable to even SPELL "defense," I'm running out of options.

I think I'll get on the Trey Lipp-Morrison train. So far, the kid looks great. Choo-Choooooooooo !

Edited by Cableaddict

I've already said several times that AJ is starting to get more loose & fluid, primarily in his last fight. - But he still has a long way to go. And he sure could use more variation in his offense. And his defense is still extremely questionable. (though also improving)

Anyway, I was referring to stamina when I mentioned AJ. It's still his achilles heel. I doubt he can go 12 hard rounds, and I don't see how that can improve, without PEDs.

And I'm def not a believer yet. Not even close, really. - But with Wilder's recent embarrassing performance, with Bogdan Dinu being virtually ignored by his promoter, with Ruiz being robbed of his victory over Parker, and with Parker + Ugonoh seemingly unable to even SPELL "defense," I'm running out of options.

I think I'll get on the Trey Lipp-Morrison train. So far, the kid looks great. Choo-Choooooooooo !

My question was in relation to Breazeale beating the 'elephant in the room' that was Ugonah. Makes AJ's win look more impressive - don't you think? AJ has faults, he's a young Heavyweight. Nothing around now seems a genuine threat to him - he's going to clear them out.

I thought Parker beat Ruiz and as someone who has sat at ringside scoring bouts, I will take my judgement over yours. Your best bet is burger man Jarrell Miller rather than Morrison. The future is Joshua.

I thought Parker beat Ruiz and as someone who has sat at ringside scoring bouts, I will take my judgement over yours. .

All I can do with this one is laugh.

Well, it was a fairly close fight, so maybe I'll just softly giggle.

--- Ug ain't a fluid fighter, he's jerky which makes him awkward to defend against.

Got a gift when the ref gave him a long count with the 1st KD. Proved to be game though and he could beat the Glazkovs and such, but end of the day Breazeale has fought and beat better fighters than Bambi and will get a big bonus by uncle Al to not file a lawsuit on Bambi and his 20 thugs who assaulted Breazeale and his family in the hotel lobby.

Meanwhile Bambi says he wants big fights after running from the $5mil fight last year with his minders lining up with tub of goo Stiverne who looked like poo before he KOed arreola for the vacated title.

--- Ug ain't a fluid fighter, he's jerky which makes him awkward to defend against. .....

Interesting thought. I'm not sure I agree, with the exception of this last fight, but now I have to go rewatch Ugonoh's earlier fights. Maybe you are correct.

Sometimes wishful thinking gives us temporary cataracts. ;-)