What next for Price?

The_budweiser

A few are saying retirement but I think he just needs a new trainer and one who doesn't have several fighters. One who can focus all his attention on Price and push him on. I don't know what went on behind the scene with Coldwell but it was clear for all to see that something in camp wasn't 100%.

What next for Price?

Re: What next for Price?

No worries !

Home Depot Careers

:mlol: :cool:

I still think he has something to offer but it will take a MASSIVE change in his boxing surroundings to get anywhere. He needs a trainer who can get him fit and get him the sparring he needs to improve. His fitness was a joke and I would love to know, why that was?

Glue factory?

This!

Serious what trainer would concentrate on just David Price? Surely a trainer depends on the success of his fighter for his own income....no one sane would gamble on Price to be their flagship fighter!!

Think he needs to take some time out and get his stamina sorted properly, work his way up in sparring until he can at least go 10 rounds with no issues. Yeah it'll take a while but it can't be any worse than where he's at at the moment. After that he's going to have to push for fights against the up and comers or British level that are 50/50 to get himself around the rankings again and maybe get another shot.

He's not finished but at the moment it isn't looking great

Be good to see him get a cracking at Dillian Whyte for the British title. Think the fight with Hammer was a rush job, which would explain his poor conditioning. Maybe, get a win under his belt and then be a perfect comeback opponent for Tyson Fury.

No chance he's "earned" a British title shot.....he's starting from the bottom rung of the ladder again for sure.

That said, the state of heavyweight boxing, he could still beat a few stiffs and poor novices to get in contention for the British title shot I'd think.

But does he have that motivation, at 33....and he would still need to really put in the effort to improve his stamina.

No chance he's "earned" a British title shot.....he's starting from the bottom rung of the ladder again for sure.

That said, the state of heavyweight boxing, he could still beat a few stiffs and poor novices to get in contention for the British title shot I'd think.

But does he have that motivation, at 33....and he would still need to really put in the effort to improve his stamina.

Agreed, but-

I get the feeling Price does not, and has never wanted to be, a boxer. It seems like he's just a big, strong dufus that the people around him thought had potential, and he was sort of talked into it. As soon as they figure he's no longer worth the effort, and stop pushing him, he'll probably disappear from the sport.

I expect that that time has come.

--- Some Brits on boxrec still lamenting he never got the chance to beat Fury, but potentially he can rebuild to a title shot against the weakest link, the Bronze Bambi.

Just take 4 easy fights in a 6 month span to work himself into shape and stay in shape so he can take the typical TBA 4week short notice fight. One punch is all he needs in the right moment, not that I ever believed in him, but bigger upsets have happened

BBBoC might want him to have a warm-up fight but can't see it, as he's coming from European level (even if it is the ridiculous WBO European). Look at the British Heavyweight's ranked on Boxrec: http://boxrec.com/records

The Dillian Whyte fight is unlikely now cos he lost but amongst the contenders he's up there.

If he wants to cash-out then the Fury comeback fight is the one to aim for. They have history from the amateurs and Fury swerving the fight before. Fury has been inactive, ill (clean) for periods. Fury wants a fight that could generate money rather than some faceless Yank or Eastern European and is unlikely to face anyone too taxing.

--- Some Brits on boxrec still lamenting he never got the chance to beat Fury, but potentially he can rebuild to a title shot against the weakest link, the Bronze Bambi.

Just take 4 easy fights in a 6 month span to work himself into shape and stay in shape so he can take the typical TBA 4week short notice fight. One punch is all he needs in the right moment, not that I ever believed in him, but bigger upsets have happened

As ridiculous as it sounds, he might be TOO GOOD to get a shot at the Bronze fraud. As far as a possible fight itself, hey, with Wilder's suspect chin, it's only a matter of time before one of his handpicked, over-matched foes connects. I doubt it'd be Price but you never know.

BBBoC might want him to have a warm-up fight but can't see it, as he's coming from European level (even if it is the ridiculous WBO European). Look at the British Heavyweight's ranked on Boxrec: http://boxrec.com/records

The Dillian Whyte fight is unlikely now cos he lost but amongst the contenders he's up there.

If he wants to cash-out then the Fury comeback fight is the one to aim for. They have history from the amateurs and Fury swerving the fight before. Fury has been inactive, ill (clean) for periods. Fury wants a fight that could generate money rather than some faceless Yank or Eastern European and is unlikely to face anyone too taxing.

Yep, you effectively backed up my point there Rob :thumb:

Agreed, but-

I get the feeling Price does not, and has never wanted to be, a boxer. It seems like he's just a big, strong dufus that the people around him thought had potential, and he was sort of talked into it. As soon as they figure he's no longer worth the effort, and stop pushing him, he'll probably disappear from the sport.

I expect that that time has come.

Not sure about him never wanting to be a boxer....he came a long way for him to not be at all interested in it as a career.

His desire and motivation to carry on is a big question mark though.

In many ways he is similar to Enzo Macarinelli....and in fairness to Enzo he came back quite well after several brutal losses. He always seemed to have a fair bit of desire about it though.

• 2 weeks later...

As ridiculous as it sounds, he might be TOO GOOD to get a shot at the Bronze fraud. As far as a possible fight itself, hey, with Wilder's suspect chin, it's only a matter of time before one of his handpicked, over-matched foes connects. I doubt it'd be Price but you never know.

Gonna have to disagree with you, Dave. Price is perfect cannon-fodder. Price, or Hammer, could get a shot at the WBC. Price gets slaughtered by Wilder. I understand peoples negativity towards Wilder but he's turned me. I think it took a long time for his handlers to step him up and that must've been due to his weaknesses and a lack of boxing experience. They ultimately proved right in their much criticised approach, as he holds the WBC Heavyweight title. As a champion he's been matched a bit like Andre Berto was - a case of learning on the job. I do think he is still improving and I was shocked at how good he was against Arreola; Yes Arreola is shopworn, slow and predictable but Deontay fought one-handed and that left jab was superb. It was good seeing him fight and box in a controlled manner rather than reckless.

I'm not saying Wilder is the best Heavyweight out there but I would back him against Fury. I don't believe Fury would take the power and has nothing to really trouble Wilder. Wilder talks about Parker and maybe sees he is beatable now.I think Parker, given a year, could really turn into something good. This year and I would favour Wilder. I do believe that Anthony Joshua is too powerful for Wilder.

I like Wilder being in the mix - he talks, is fun, colourful. He has power and ability. He's been handled well - we all wanted him to move faster but his handlers must've known he wasn't ready early - in the end they've done their job correctly.

I do agree that he could get nailed by a contender. He's, also, had a pass cos Povetkin is a cheat. I think the Wilder train will stay on the tracks in 2017.

Come on, David Price just beat few mediocre British heavyweights (Sexton, McDermott). In every serious fight, he looks crappy. No trainer will make him even top 20 World HW. And I wouldn't be surprised if ather those KO's, something may be messed up with his ring confidence.

David Price: The End of the line?

“To see a man beaten not by a better opponent but by himself is a tragedy.” – Cus D’Amato

by Matt Cotterell

David Price: The End of the line? - - Boxing News - Ring News24

Does that article prematurely end? Seems to just suddenly stop at the Teper fight :noidea:

Anyway this quote really hits home Price's fall from grace:

Price was widely considered the brightest of young heavyweight talents, endorsed by ESPN who installed him as their 2012 Prospect of the year over the likes of Deontay Wilder, Sergey Kovalev and Carl Frampton.

Thanks for letting me know. Quite a lot was missing. Have rectified it.

Ahh no worries Rob.

Good article in that it nails the predominant problem for Price being psychological. But I have to say his stamina and overall condition is also clear as day and is another massive issue, despite surrounding himself with top fellow boxers and renown trainers.

At this point Price getting back into the ring is probably going to be more about his dealing with his own demons and career history than it will be about realistically forging anything resembling a successful career from here on. I'm sure he'll still get opportunities at lower levels for small money but it's hard to see where he could fit as any kind of journeyman heavyweight largely because, as I'm sure others have noted, he is still a very dangerous heavyweight, even if one with considerable flaws as well. He cuts a very sympathetic figure right now - at least with his previous defeats he could run with the drug-taking narrative.

Gonna have to disagree with you, Dave. Price is perfect cannon-fodder. Price, or Hammer, could get a shot at the WBC. Price gets slaughtered by Wilder. I understand peoples negativity towards Wilder but he's turned me. I think it took a long time for his handlers to step him up and that must've been due to his weaknesses and a lack of boxing experience. They ultimately proved right in their much criticised approach, as he holds the WBC Heavyweight title. As a champion he's been matched a bit like Andre Berto was - a case of learning on the job. I do think he is still improving and I was shocked at how good he was against Arreola; Yes Arreola is shopworn, slow and predictable but Deontay fought one-handed and that left jab was superb. It was good seeing him fight and box in a controlled manner rather than reckless.

I'm not saying Wilder is the best Heavyweight out there but I would back him against Fury. I don't believe Fury would take the power and has nothing to really trouble Wilder. Wilder talks about Parker and maybe sees he is beatable now.I think Parker, given a year, could really turn into something good. This year and I would favour Wilder. I do believe that Anthony Joshua is too powerful for Wilder.

I like Wilder being in the mix - he talks, is fun, colourful. He has power and ability. He's been handled well - we all wanted him to move faster but his handlers must've known he wasn't ready early - in the end they've done their job correctly.

I do agree that he could get nailed by a contender. He's, also, had a pass cos Povetkin is a cheat. I think the Wilder train will stay on the tracks in 2017.

Rob, I'll give you that he's colorful, but I get tired of listening to him puff his chest when,IMO, he's never done anything that warrants being in the Top Three or Four, much less "The Man". As for as the Arreola fight? Well, you kind of hinted at why I'd discount that one, a win over Arreola would've meant something about 2009 but not 2016. Yes, he fights controlled, he's not as wild but IMO that's something that should've been addressed from Day One, so he's either a slow learner or has really lousy instruction up till now. I don't know that you can be impressed with basic fundamentals from a guy who's in Year Nine of his Pro career. YES, he does look better, but it's only notable because it took so long. I do agree that he will probably stay on the tracks for 2017, but his management will having an increasing hard time pooh-poohing a Joshua showdown, which is where I think he hits the wall.

Seems likely.

Sadly, that train appears to run on coal, and it's heading out towards Peoria, avoiding all the major cities.