The most extreme examples of weight-jumping

BoztheMadman

Just came across this guy, Humberto Mauro Gutierrez. He was first the interim WBC super feather champion, then jumped to welterweight, but that's not the point here: within a single year, he went from fighting as a welterweight to fighting as a light heavyweight! In January 2015 he fought against Johan Perez for a welterweight title and then in August he was fighting as a light heavy! Do you know some similar examples?

Re: The most extreme examples of weight-jumping

Epifanio Mendoza - more gradual, but begins his career at around 150, spends much of his prime between middle and super-middle, then he's a light-heavy, then a cruiserweight, and now he's fighting at 245 against heavyweights. God alone knows what he's been eating. Sparring partners most likely.

As I told you on Facebook - You have got me thinking, sure there was a big difference of a fight in 2016 and I can't remember who.

I'd love to know how many weight-divisions Hatton jumped down at his heaviest to fight? I bet he was heavier than was made out in some articles.. He seemed to balloon a lot due to food and alcohol during fight breaks.

Lets not forget Ricardo Mayorga either, who in late 2007 had a fight at 168 against Vargas and then went back all the way to 147 to fight Mosley. Thats some difference to...a jump, but in the opposite direction, downwards. 21 pounds...actually, I now checked, the Mosley fight was at 154. But anyway, it wasn't easy to do that. ;-) He said he had plans to go down to 147 but never did.

I remember Dingaan Thobela. He was a world champion in two divisions: lightweight and... supermiddleweight!, knocking out Glenn Catley on the first defense of his WBC title.

And that was in a 6 years interval, from 1994 to 2000.

James Toney was well over 200lbs as a high school football player. Was a middleweight, then super middle, Cruiser and eventually a heavyweight.

This is often said, but do we know if he was a fat bastard in his youth?

This is often said, but do we know if he was a fat bastard in his youth?

He was recruited to play QB and Fullback. Both positions are generally over 200lbs. Some D1 FB's are over 220lbs. And of course he always had the habit of ballooning up in weight in-between fights.