Crolla gets the Linares rematch - Result

The_budweiser

Anthony Crolla can avenge his defeat against Jorge Linares in their rematch, says his British rival Derry Mathews.

The Mancunian suffered a points defeat to Linares after a thrilling battle in September, but can regain the WBA lightweight title in a return fight at Manchester Arena on March 25, live on Sky Sports.

Mathews shared two memorable battles with Crolla, winning the first with a stunning knockout before being held to a draw in the rematch, and expects his former opponent to produce an improved display against Linares.

"I think he beats Linares this time," Mathews told Sky Sports.

"The team might have got their tactics wrong last time, but this time I think Anthony will win. I think he will beat Linares.

Anthony Crolla will gain revenge against Jorge Linares in rematch, says Derry Mathews | Boxing News | Sky Sports

re: Crolla gets the Linares rematch - Result

I see it as many above that the result will be the same, or even a stoppage for Linares. He's just a level above Crolla unfortunately.

It was fun first time round, so I've no issues with a rematch and will gladly watch it again.

• 2 months later...

Big Fight Preview: Second time lucky for Anthony Crolla?

by Matt Cotterell

A misleading title if ever there was one. If ‘Million Dollar’ Crolla is to reverse the loss he suffered at the hands of brilliant Venezuelan Jorge Linares in September of last year, you would think that lady luck will have little to no part to play in proceedings.

If Crolla wants his title back, he’s going to have to do it the hard way, the only way.

The first encounter was a rousing affair pitting the classier skills of Linares against the pressure and grit of Crolla. Linares opened the brighter with fast combinations to head and body sweeping the first four rounds before Crolla registered (on my card) in the fifth. You could see the investment Crolla was making rounds one through four as he forced Linares to fight at a decent clip and mostly in reverse, but the rapid fire punching of Linares could not be ignored. The only negative for Linares in a fantastic opening third of the fight was repeat warnings from referee Terry O’Connor for low blows, although just about every observer felt the shots were perfectly legal.

Read more: Big Fight Preview: Second time lucky for Anthony Crolla? - - Boxing News - Ring News24

I'd love Crolla to do it, but I don't see it in all honesty....

To me it seemed like Linares had more gears to find in the first fight, and Crolla has done astonishingly well to get to where he has through sheer hard work and determination rather than through having a superior set of boxing skills than those of his peers.

The bookings put this at a near 50/50 fight but all just favour Linares to come out on top again.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a more determined and concentrating Linares this time round, he could maybe even force a stoppage.

That said I am rooting for Crolla to turn it on and live out a dream scenario! Genuinely good guy!

Agree. I like Crolla, no one can doubt his heart and work ethic. Local lad done good. I'm hoping for a Crolla win, but Linares edges it with speed and movement imo. Linares is a class act to accept the rematch immediately (good money though), and come back to Mcr. But never rule a Manc out in that arena

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Crolla gets the Linares rematch - Result

Anyone else thought Crolla would've been better off to bully his way on the inside early on in the fight? On the outside he didn't have a chance. Good comeback round after the knockdown. But ultimately Linares was just too good. Hoping we're able to get Linares vs Garcia in the summer.

Anyone else thought Crolla would've been better off to bully his way on the inside early on in the fight? On the outside he didn't have a chance. Good comeback round after the knockdown. But ultimately Linares was just too good. Hoping we're able to get Linares vs Garcia in the summer.

Don't think either man has a great chin tbh. Linares always seemed a step a head. Think it was a fight that highlighted levels - Linares skills way above Crolla's. A Mikey Garcia could do what you want but Crolla couldn't.

Crolla was just outclassed in the end, Tried his best but as has already been alluded, he just didn't have the skill set to compete. Shown a ton of heart coming back from the knockdown and wanting to finish the fight but Linares was just far too good for him. Would have liked to have seen him try and rough up Linares in the first few rounds but at times he looked frustrated and flumoxed so maybe he was trying to get there but couldn't do it.

No reason it's all over for him now though although if he does decide that's enough would like to see him take one last fight at the M.E.N (So i can go :-)

Crolla should be commended for taking on Linares in the first place, I've become so accustomed to seeing English world champs defend their titles against puddings that i couldn't care less about them