Hughie Fury set to challenge Joe Parker for WBO heavyweight crown

Bear Hugger

Heavyweight Hughie Fury, the younger cousin of Tyson Fury, is set to challenge for the World Boxing Organisation heavyweight crown against champion Joe Parker with the two teams negotiating the venue for the fight, which is expected to be on April 8, 2017.

The 22-year-old, unbeaten in 20 contests, and holder of the WBO Inter-Continental title is in light training in Cannes over the Christmas and New Year period, and has told The Daily Telegraph that he also has an option to fight World Boxing Council champion Deontay Wilder in 2017. "My next fight will be for a world title," said Fury. "I'm just waiting for my team to work on the deals."

Full article:

Tyson Fury's cousin Hughie Fury set to challenge Joe Parker for WBO heavyweight crown

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Hughie Fury set to challenge Joe Parker for WBO heavyweight crown

Just reading through the full article and noticed Haye could be set to challenge the winner...

Adding to the heavyweight chess board as the pieces fall into position for 2017, the WBO yesterday installed Londoner David Haye as its No 1 contender, meaning that Haye will most likely face the April 8 winner, in the UK in July.

I'd favour Parker over Hughie Fury but an interesting match up. Looks like Haye has landed himself a title shot in the future. The way Team Parker struggled to finance bringing Parker vs Ruiz to New Zealand could mean that Hayes shot is in the UK as bound to be PPV.

I actually like Baby Hughie, but he simply doesn't have enough power to keep Parker off of him.

When Parker isn't wary of an opponent's power, he fights much more aggressively than he did with the likes of Ruiz and Takam.

He's a classic accumulation puncher, so if you can't slow him down, you're (literally) in a world of hurt.

Adding to the heavyweight chess board as the pieces fall into position for 2017, the WBO yesterday installed Londoner David Haye as its No 1 contender, meaning that Haye will most likely face the April 8 winner, in the UK in July.

Fucking hell!! No wonder this sport is a complete joke when the "governing" bodies pull shit like this!!

I think Haye is good for the division and brings some excitement, but he has done the grand total of fuck all to be given a number 1 ranking spot!!

Obviously money talks more than deserved recognition.

Fucking hell!! No wonder this sport is a complete joke when the "governing" bodies pull shit like this!!

I think Haye is good for the division and brings some excitement, but he has done the grand total of fuck all to be given a number 1 ranking spot!!

Obviously money talks more than deserved recognition.

Lets let Haye fight Joshua, Wilder, Klitschko or even Ortiz or Parker, get knocked out and be done with it! Same goes for Briggs and these old timers hanging around.

Bob Arum is saying Parker will face Miller or Price on April 8th, possibly in Dunedin. Good opponents.

Nice. Both of them actually have a decent chance against Parker.

I'd kind of like to see the upset: Miller is a promising bomber, and the division badly needs guys like him at the top. Price is a head case, but I still hold some hope for him, and again we need all the big punchers we can get.

PLUS, Parker losing would be the best thing that ever happened to him. (IMO he already lost to Ruiz, but what you gonna do....)

He needs a big shot of reality.

He needs a new trainer.

He needs to get da' fuck out of Kiwi-land.

But mostly he needs a new trainer.

Like ..... as soon as possible.

Edited by Cableaddict

--- Josh would actually have to fight Ruiz to lose to him, but we get that of course he would agree to lose to Ruiz to set up the lucrative trilogy but for the all time record Wembley trilogy against Wlad he's agreed to lose.

And just wait til til Popkorns makes his trilogy with Joe smith a perfect threesome of perfect back swan dives onto the concrete pool. Lucrative stuff makes boxing easy to figure...Berto/TUE x3, now that's the ticket!

Parker hasn't impressed me whatsoever in the fights I have seen on him. Reminds me of Helenius, a fighter on the outside trying to make waves but both those fighters I mentioned will fail when they step it up.

As for Steroid Fury, otherwise covered up as his acne condition as we were lead to believe before he failed the drug test. He should be nowhere near Parker with the garbage he has fought and looked average against.

Their last 5 fights

Fury vs

Fred Kassi (18-4-1) TD

Dominick Guinn (35-10-1) PTS

Larry Olubamiwo (11-18-0) TKO

Emilio Ezequiel Zarate (18-14-3) KO

George Arias (56-12-0) PTS

Parker vs

Andy Ruiz Jr (29-0) MD

Alexander Dimitrenko (38-2) KO

Solomon Haumono (24-2-2) TKO

Carlos Takam (33-2-1) UD

Jason Bergman (25-11-2) TKO

Parker wide on points for me or a devastating KO

Parker hasn't impressed me whatsoever in the fights I have seen on him. Reminds me of Helenius, a fighter on the outside trying to make waves but both those fighters I mentioned will fail when they step it up.

As for Steroid Fury, otherwise covered up as his acne condition as we were lead to believe before he failed the drug test. He should be nowhere near Parker with the garbage he has fought and looked average against.

Their last 5 fights

Fury vs

Fred Kassi (18-4-1) TD

Dominick Guinn (35-10-1) PTS

Larry Olubamiwo (11-18-0) TKO

Emilio Ezequiel Zarate (18-14-3) KO

George Arias (56-12-0) PTS

Parker vs

Andy Ruiz Jr (29-0) MD

Alexander Dimitrenko (38-2) KO

Solomon Haumono (24-2-2) TKO

Carlos Takam (33-2-1) UD

Jason Bergman (25-11-2) TKO

Parker wide on points for me or a devastating KO

Great post and highlights the tougher opposition that Parker has faced as a prospect on the rise.

Hughie Fury, 20, pro since March 2013 with a 20-0, 10 KOs record. Boxrec ranked 36.

Joseph Parker, 24, pro since July 2012 with a 22-0, 18 KOs record. Boxrec ranked 6.

• 1 month later...

So what's the problem? I thought the Fury's were travelers? ;-)

Parker should have no trouble at all with Baby Hughie, but if Fury somehow wins on points, he will of course still lose. (Same as Fat Andy.)

Put everything you own on Parker to win.

This is the safest bet this year, in all of boxingdom.