Brook vs Spence Jr Fight Thread

The_budweiser

Kell Brook is on collision course with Errol Spence Jr. after deciding to stay at welterweight.

The Briton contemplated stepping up to light-middleweight after jumping two weight divisions to challenge world middleweight No. 1 Gennady Golovkin in September.

Brook (36-1, 25 KOs), 30, was stopped in five rounds by Golovkin but will remain IBF world welterweight champion after discussing his options with promoter Eddie Hearn.

Brook is recovering from surgery on a broken eye socket, sustained against Golovkin, and must face unbeaten American Spence (21-0, 18 KOs), the mandatory challenger for his IBF belt in his next fight likely to be spring next year.

"I had a meeting with Eddie and told him I am not prepared to give up my title," said Brook.

"I know there are options at 154 pounds and I may even be more suited there but I am not willing to give up what I fought so hard for. I want the unification fights but if they aren't there then it will be Spence next for me in a big UK show."

Brook won the belt from Shawn Porter on points in 2014 and then had three low-profile stoppage defences before his biggest payday against Golovkin.

The British boxer has also said he is interested in facing Filipino Manny Pacquiao (59-6-2, 38 KOs), who reclaimed his WBO version of the world title last weekend, and there is big interest in the UK to see him fight compatriot and welterweight rival Amir Khan (31-4, 19 KOs).

"I spoke through various options with Kell and he was adamant that he would not relinquish his welterweight world title," said Hearn.

"In an ideal world, he would unify the division against Manny Pacquiao but the Spence fight is also one that really excites him and fight fans. That could be a big fight here in the UK and with the 75-25 split in place we would be very confident of bringing that fight to Sheffield."

Source: ESPN

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

re: Brook vs Spence Jr Fight Thread

This guy isn't making it any easier for himself, is he? :laugh: Spence is just too good for him imo-yes, it will be a good fight but I find Errol just too talented, too fast, too hard-hitting for Brook. Yes, he beat Porter but since then Porter has shown himself to be mostly about workrate and some good boxing fundamentals, but far from unbeatable. Errol beats him easily I think, Porter. I can see Brook doing well for the first 6 to 8 rounds, but then he will get outpunched and outfought.

As much as I'd like to see Khan battered by Kell into retirement I aint sure Amir is worthy of the payday anymore!!

I think a fight vs Manny would be great and winnable!

I know very little about Spence tbh, but I know he is a top name in the division so again, it's a good fight for him to take! Not shirking a fight against the big names and that's to be applauded.

--- The 40 yr old Bundu the best Spence has been in against.

Easy to look good against inferior comp. In previous eras he'd be a promising prospect, but in a weak era by default he's a contender.

Correct, but only up to a point. Spence completely dominated Bundu, using his right jab almost exclusively due to an injured left. That's pretty damned impressive.

Spence also completely controlled Algieri, who is nothing if not hard to hit. He also showed a willingness to get a little rough on the inside, in that fight. It was a spectacular performance.

Spence also has an uncanny ability to attack from way outside, closing the distance quickly to land that right. - No leaning in, just fast feet and perfect balance - and then getting out again, often to the side. That speed & balance translates to ANY opponent.

Spence also has crazy power for 147. Sure, elite opponents might better negate that power, but it's still undeniable. Freddy Roach even once claimed that he saw Spence KO Broner in sparring.

If Spence has a weakness, it may be his lack of defensive head movement. Again, he's very much a smaller version of Golovkin. (Not really THAT much smaller.)

Against an elite puncher (Canelo, perhaps, or even Thurman) that could possibly be a problem, but not likely against Brooke. Brooke's punching technique has definitely improved lately, but he'll never have "1 punch KO" power, and Spence is crazy-hard to hit with combinations.

Edited by Cableaddict
  • Like 1

Well he (Spence) is the mando at this point. I think i would still favor Brook, but he needs a gimme comeback fight. Still surprised he's looking to fight at 147. Didn't think that would be possible for him.

I'll be surprised if Spence can make 147 much longer, as well.

If these guys do fight each other, it could be at a catchweight, or maybe just 154. That would sure be interesting. (I'd also then slightly favor Brooke)

If these guys do fight each other, it could be at a catchweight, or maybe just 154. That would sure be interesting. (I'd also then slightly favor Brooke)

I'm sure Spence and Haymon will advise him to fight for a vacant title, get a couple defenses, then maybe fight the Garcia/Thurman winner in 2018. Brook on the outside looking in.

I agree but I think Spence is going to stick at 147 and Brook won't be going back down there anytime soon. There's a chance for Spence to really establish himself at 147 if he can keep making it, and there are some big fights there even without Brook in the mix. I have a feeling that if we do see Brook - Spence then it won't be for a while yet.

• 2 months later...

I give kudos to Spence for going over there to fight Brook, I'm sure Hayman gave him other options but he decided to do what real contender do and go to the champions backyard. Someone above mentioned the possibility of hometown judging in England, but given the history of UK vs USA decisions tht would go against the grain.