Does anything ever happen in our sport anymore?

davemurphy

Fighters fight once-in-a-blue moon, guys remain in the rankings for nothing more than staying alive, more and more venues drop boxing from their itinerary, there's seldom a fight worth watching even on the rare occasions they are televised, we could go on-and-on with problems that have plagued the sport for a number of years now,and for many, boxing is kind of an afterthought when it comes to their sports viewing. Is there any end in sight or do we continue in a period of malaise?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Does anything ever happen in our sport anymore?

--- It's that Giant Suck left in the wake of TUE retiring and Haymon failing so pitifully.

In the meantime we got a very big strong prime American kid in Vargas going up against everyone's all everything from dartboard to Senator Manny in a potential FOY. And we will have a fat Mexican Andy fighting Kiwi Mighty Joe Parker somewhere in Texas.

Manna from heaven Dave!

Boxing has been fun in the East again this year and the emergence of boxingraise and asign boxing have aided that SIGNIFICANTLY. You can keep your American stars sitting twidling their thumbs if I get to see more guys like Higa and Kogawa fighting live and regularly!

Also those Eatsern-Euro Cruiserweights seem to love fighting each other. Best division in boxing, but it gets almost no air time in the USA. Barely any even in Western Europe. We are lucky that Tony Bellew has managed to do so well recently. He's practically the only reason most people even know the CW division exists.

And of course Joseph Parker & Ugonoh fight so often, they could practically keep the sport going all by themselves. - If only casuals had any idea these guys existed. That promotional genius kevin Barry, keeping them both hidden away down in Kiwi-land.

Best division in boxing, but it gets almost no air time in the USA. Barely any even in Western Europe.

The best division in boxing is super-flyweight - the very fact Tony Bellew is a cruiserweight world champion speaks volumes about that division.

Boxing is still ticking along. PBC has stalled a bit but looks like it isn't the end and some potential match-ups in the pipeline. It has been a pretty subdued year overall. Sprinkled in a few big fights. These days we can't rely on all the action being aimed at the US audience. Plenty out there with the UK, Germany, Japan and Australia along with traditional places in North America.

I've still not seen a host of the better fights this year like Frampton vs Santa Cruz and Thurman vs Porter, as I seem to be either in work or sleeping.

2017 promises to be a better year.

Depends how you're judging it and which audience you're catering for, and also your location......

I'd say it's been rather a shit year for your actual boxing fans who is interested in the whole scene.......

For your average British knuckle-dragger who likes watching the boxing with his pals down the Nags Head, it's been a great year purely because of AJ...."Beast that lad"..."a monster"....."will dominate for years" they say in their expert analysis, but answer "Who?" if you ask them about Marco Antonio Barrera....:whistle:

The Yanks will somewhat be less fortunate.....they have Wilder of course but he hasn't done a great deal in 2016....and any other of their top talents are seemingly in stale divisions with no much happening....

New Zealand fight fans might be excited by Parker......

Boxing is still ticking along. PBC has stalled a bit but looks like it isn't the end and some potential match-ups in the pipeline. It has been a pretty subdued year overall. Sprinkled in a few big fights. These days we can't rely on all the action being aimed at the US audience. Plenty out there with the UK, Germany, Japan and Australia along with traditional places in North America.

I've still not seen a host of the better fights this year like Frampton vs Santa Cruz and Thurman vs Porter, as I seem to be either in work or sleeping.

2017 promises to be a better year.

Those two fights are what my friends tell me is the thing that's helped keep them sane this year.

This year looks poorly. Maybe situation with PBC will clarify and we will see what next year brings to us. But generally outside UK, boxing seems to be in crisis.

Absolutely, it's taking on the appearance of a terminal patient, nobodies making the effort required to save it. While the situation with the PBC is major, it shouldn't be taking the whole sport down with it.

PBC model just didn't work, because Haymon isn't able to give quality fights to all those free TV channels and Showtime. Everytime he started a deal with new TV he gave a goood fight and then it went downfall.

Those two fights are what my friends tell me is the thing that's helped keep them sane this year.

--- Dave, those two fights represent 2% of the 200+ fighters in Haymon's stable.

Most only fight noncompetitive fight once a year if even that. He spent a billion bucks to become the largest defacto promoter and put most on the shelf to collect dust. Yes, he has singlehandedly strangled boxing into rigor mortis. Gonna take more than two fights for revival.

--- Dave, those two fights represent 2% of the 200+ fighters in Haymon's stable.

Most only fight noncompetitive fight once a year if even that. He spent a billion bucks to become the largest defacto promoter and put most on the shelf to collect dust. Yes, he has singlehandedly strangled boxing into rigor mortis. Gonna take more than two fights for revival.

More ironic for the fact quite a few boxing fans and media people were enthusiastic about Haymon's arrival - boxing needed an increased sense of betrayal among the fans.

Absolutely and that was kind of what I was getting at. When you get to November and only have two fights that stand out.....well, that tells you all you need to know.

Absolutely and that was kind of what I was getting at. When you get to November and only have two fights that stand out.....well, that tells you all you need to know.

Will you keep it down please? Scott will be back any minute, and woe betide you if you haven't seen the All-Laotian Under-11s Championship Repechages!

Will you keep it down please? Scott will be back any minute, and woe betide you if you haven't seen the All-Laotian Under-11s Championship Repechages!

I confine my fight watching to guys who weigh more than the family dog :haha:

Not only that, but @Iamasadlittleboy will school you on all the brilliant sub-135 lb fights happening over in Japan!

(A very good thing, actually, but if I can't pronounce their bloody names then ....... :laugh: )