Anthony Joshua to fight Eric Molina

The_budweiser

Few sites reporting that Joshua will fight Molina (25-3) next.

---

Anthony Joshua will make the second defence of his world title against American Eric Molina.

The 34-year-old was pictured as he made his way to Manchester on Thursday morning to officially announce the fight on December 10.

Joshua had been ready to face heavyweight legend Wladimir Klitschko but the Ukrainian suffered an injury in training.

That fight could now take place next spring.

Joshua's domestic rival David Price was also in the running to face the 2012 Olympic champion but he has been overlooked for Molina.

The Texan has won 25 of his 28 fights and tested world champion Deontay Wilder before being knocked out in the ninth round last year.

Joshua won the IBF title in April with a second-round stoppage of Charles Martin before he defended it against Dominic Breazeale two months later.

Source: Mirror

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Anthony Joshua to fight Eric Molina

--- It strikes me with Eddie being the chauffeur of this bus, he drives it wherever it damn well suits his dozen or so backroom deals being dickered out as we speak.

He's been playing all these heavies off each other, He's got Josh and Ortiz both fighting TBAs when he could easily have them fight each other. Looking at the boxrec top 30, surely there must be 20 ready and willing for a half decent pay that would otherwise be a pittance for a proper heavy title fight. I realize that the orgs have slow to make decisions that clogged up the works, but really, six weeks have gone by with a blizzard of nothing accomplished and only 6 weeks left.

Prior he had done so well bringing Josh along. What happened? Too much too soon for Eddie?

--- I checked boxrec and was surprised to see Molina ranked 13th!

The WBA actually has David Haye at #5, and the WBA has him at #6 !

See, this is what happens when you take 4 years off, then beat two guys in the top 200 !

----------------

I swear, Cheech Marin is probably LITERALLY running all the governing bodies right now.

In 2017, I half expect to see a HW named Terry Conklin enter the top-ten. Wlad needs an opponent......

Edited by Cableaddict

Easy win and hope this ain't PPV. Give it out free, Eddie. Molina isn't bad. Badly wobbled Wilder and has now beaten a faded Adamke - still props as was in Poland.

It can't be PPV. If Eddie has any sense make it free and let everyone see the beast in action.

What would be the thoughts of say Sky, if they had a contract with Eddie for x amount of AJ PPVs??

I am not sure if that is the case, but surely Sky would rather have him just fight, anyone, to get another PPV in even if it won't be as big selling as the Wlad fight obviously will be. That fight WILL come eventually, so they would rather keep up their revenue with another shitter card than none at all and waiting for the big one?

So Wlad ducks Joshua and Hearn gets blamed? What would any other promoter have done in this situation? Exactly the same thing, Would frank and Mick have lined Fury a top 3 replacement if Fury had not gone mad and Wlad had stepped out?..

So Wlad ducks Joshua and Hearn gets blamed? What would any other promoter have done in this situation? Exactly the same thing, Would frank and Mick have lined Fury a top 3 replacement if Fury had not gone mad and Wlad had stepped out?..

It was never guaranteed Klitschko was coming, and Hearn had plenty of fighters offering their services well in advance:

Parker is mandatory and now fighting Ruiz, but either of those could have been made for Joshua.

Browne is fighting nobody in particular, maybe even Shannon Briggs.

David Price is at least a fellow Brit and is peddling all this crap about needle between him and Joshua, so that was a possibility.

David Haye has nothing to do at the moment.

Luis Ortiz is now signed to Hearn, well known on both sides of the pond, highly ranked, unbeaten and available, but instead is now fighting Malik Scott.

So out of all these possibilities, Hearn chooses Eric Molina, whom nobody gives a shit about and came very close to losing to Adamek.

So yeah, I'll blame Hearn. I'll also blame the WBA for being the most useless governing body in the history of the world.

Everyone is missing the point here! YES its a wank fight and AJ will win easily. The point is this: AJ has a contract with Showtime and now instead of a massive payday for ShoBox thru a Wlad/AJ PPV, there is nowt on the horizon for income for 2016 for their investment. So to glean SOME takings on PPV rather than NONE, Showtime are demanding a fight for their investment as AJ could well have received monies upfront.

Ortiz is fighting within 2 weeks so is not available, and the only other mugs on the radar are Pulev and Molina. The US public have never heard of Pulev so the only logical opponent is Molina. Yes. not ideal but will provide some return for Showtime Q4 for 2016 instead of zero.

Money talks and bullshit walks, that's all there is to this deal......don't read anything else into it.

Ortiz is fighting within 2 weeks so is not available, and the only other mugs on the radar are Pulev and Molina. The US public have never heard of Pulev

Whereas the US public know Eric Molina really well?? Boxing fans maybe, but he's not exactly a household name.

Pulev fought Klitschko and that was on HBO, so even better- a direct comparison with Wlad's performance would be possible.

And I find it hard to believe the Ortiz-Scott fight either couldn't have been negated with a bit of cash - maybe offer Scott a shot at the winner of Ortiz-Joshua.

There's also someone like Gerald Washington.

Edited by gavpowell

^ What Gav said.

================

Touche.. Hard to argue with that.

The point I think people are not mentioning is that this isn't a big planned fight. I think Eddie put everything into the Kiltschko fight and when he pulled out I think that meant we need to accept that this is a replacement fight to keep AJ ticking over on his new ShowTime deal.

When you have to put together a replacement fight for your top earner at short notice you're not going to choose high risk low reward options like Price. Again, going back to my point before if this was Fury or Saunders make no mistake they would just call the fight off altogether and have done in similar situations. Saunders has been holding that belt hostage for ages now but Frank doesn't get this abuse even after multiple pullouts from his boy..

The point I think people are not mentioning is that this isn't a big planned fight. I think Eddie put everything into the Kiltschko fight and when he pulled out I think that meant we need to accept that this is a replacement fight to keep AJ ticking over on his new ShowTime deal.

No, I'm not having that either, because Eddie said for months before that they had a list of fighters - Pulev was on the list, Parker was on the list etc. The Klitschko deal itself was relatively short-notice because everyone was waiting on Fury.

As I remarked during negotiations, Hearn has often said he doesn't like to announce anything until the ink is dry, yet he hardly stopped during recent weeks. Obviously I don't have the specifics of what was said to whom or what anyone's contract terms are, but on the information given, this is just another cop-out opponent when plenty of alternatives appear to be available.

The only reason Warren doesn't get the level of abuse Hearn does is because Warren has all but faded into obscurity now - Hearn is the leading promoter and Warren is a peripheral figure. Saunders himself has gotten plenty of abuse from Cable and others on here, though not from me simply because I've never paid him the slightest attention in the first place.

The point I think people are not mentioning is that this isn't a big planned fight. I think Eddie put everything into the Kiltschko fight and when he pulled out I think that meant we need to accept that this is a replacement fight to keep AJ ticking over on his new ShowTime deal. .

Wlad didn't pull out. There never WAS a Klitschko fight. Maybe (MAYBE) with Browne, but certainly not with AJ. Hearn was just running his mouth.