Is GGG a flawed champion?

The_budweiser

By Angel Flowers: Boxing fans already have shown that IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin is only a draw on free TV and does not have a pay per view presence. This is because Golovkin has failed to challenge himself and take on the tough fights. Months after criticizing his supposed rival Saul “Canelo” Alvarez for fighting a welterweight in Amir Khan, GGG himself went after Kell Brook, another welterweight.

This is not the first time Golovkin has wanted to fight a welterweight; before he retired he expressed interest in fighting Floyd “Money” Mayweather Jr. instead of guys closer to his weight. When Golovkin offered to fight Mayweather at 154 pounds, boxers at junior middleweight offered to take him on, most notably Erislandy Lara, the WBA junior middleweight champion.

Golovkin then ran back from those words and stated he only wants all the middleweight titles, that is a decent outlook to have if only he hadn’t opened his mouth earlier.

Currently Golovkin is going in in another direction from the tougher fights, like with former super middleweight champion Andre Ward went up in weight because he got tired of waiting for Golovkin to fight him. Current WBO super middleweight champion Gilberto “Zurdo” Ramirez has expressed interest in the fight but I will be surprised if GGG stops moving away from guys who actually have a chance at beating him. Triple G does want the Canelo fight in his defense, but at a weight Canelo has never fought at. Golovkin would get paid a good amount of money despite having virtually no drawing power in terms of pay-per-view.

GGG is a flawed champion - Boxing News

Re: Is GGG a flawed champion?

Angel Flowers is a clueless trilobyte. Reading that diatribe is like listening to Donald Trump discussing the economy.

OMG, where to start?

======================

“Boxing fans already have shown that IBF/IBO/WBA/WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin is only a draw on free TV and does not have a pay per view presence.”

Already accurately discredited by Creed, above. - though that was only in Europe. Still, it shows his true drawing power. Also, does Flowers think that HBO is “free” TV?

——————————————

“Months after criticizing his supposed rival Saul “Canelo” Alvarez for fighting a welterweight in Amir Khan, GGG himself went after Kell Brook, another welterweight. “

Sigh. Golovkin didn’t “go after” Brook. He accepted the Brook fight, from Eddie Hearn, because every single credible MW had refused to fight him, and he wanted to stay active. Canelo, on the other hand, actively courted Smith, as he did with Kahn.

——————————————

“…before he retired he expressed interest in fighting Floyd “Money” Mayweather Jr. instead of guys closer to his weight. When Golovkin offered to fight Mayweather at 154 pounds, boxers at junior middleweight offered to take him on, most notably Erislandy Lara,” - and what other JMW boxers made such an offer? Funny, I can’t think of any.

Hello, anybody home? A fight with Mayweaher would have made Golovkin tens of millions. A fight with “catch me if you can” Lara wouldn’t draw flies.

——————————————

“Golovkin then ran back from those words and stated he only wants all the middleweight title”

He never said “only.”

——————————————

‘Gilberto “Zurdo” Ramirez has expressed interest in the fight but I will be surprised if GGG stops moving away from guys who actually have a chance at beating him. “ Moving away? Team Golovkin has actively and aggressively tried to make fights with every single top-ten MW there is. What fantasy world is Angel Flowers living in? Trumpville, evidently.

“Triple G does want the Canelo fight in his defense, but at a weight Canelo has never fought at. “

-This is so idiotic it needs no rejoinder.

——————————————

“Golovkin would get paid a good amount of money despite having virtually no drawing power in terms of pay-per-view.”

See above.

================================================

Well, the author did get ONE thing correct:

“By Angel Flowers.”

Edited by Cableaddict

If Golovkin was Mexican, he'd get far more support there than Canelo. He just doesn't have imprtant impact of his national fans to boost his ratings.

So very true. If he had a flaw this is it, his nationality.

Golovkin is practically a national hero in Kazahkstan. Surely that whole country would buy a PPV event, no?

I assume they HAVE PPV in Kazahkstan, right? :noidea:

My incredibly limited knowledge of Kazakhstan is that it's a bit like India or China - there are people in cities who are fairly well-off and then there are vast swathes of the countryside where people scrape by. And then there's Star City of course. Maybe they could stage a fight on the lauchpad? That'd be a first!

My incredibly limited knowledge of Kazakhstan is that it's a bit like India or China - there are people in cities who are fairly well-off and then there are vast swathes of the countryside where people scrape by. And then there's Star City of course. Maybe they could stage a fight on the lauchpad? That'd be a first!

Could be.- But even if it's like rural China, they could maybe show it in theaters. They MUST have some kind of theaters. Charge $5 a pop. The farmers could all pile onto a single tractor and ride into town, etc. Out of 17 million people, at least 12 million must be adults. If only half of them went to the show, (and WTF else do they have to do in Kahzakstan?) that's $60 million in revenue.....

GGG has no draw power in terms of ppv ? It takes two men to sell tickets , and people would pay to see a guy that stands a chance of not only winning by decision , but Ko'ing Canelo

Exactly.

Canelo vs Beefy only drew something like 300,000 buys. By Canelo standards, that's pathetic.

I think most of Mexico is catching on. The hype-train is running out of coal.

Exactly.

Canelo vs Beefy only drew something like 300,000 buys. By Canelo standards, that's pathetic.

I think most of Mexico is catching on. The hype-train is running out of coal.

--- And what PPVs was TUE drawing at age 26?

Oh wait, not even within sniffing distance of PPV. Arum staged a homecoming for him in Michigan that couldn't draw flies whereas Canelo drew 50k to cowboy stadium. Thanks for reminding us.

--- What are you doing now?

Answer: see kindergarten question.

Fact is Canelo so far ahead of TUE on both earnings and fights made timelines it becomes a ridiculous comparison. Now whether he can secure 9 years of the Vegas commish, USADA, and broadcasters working for him in canned made for TV slop is the unknown future. I suspect he makes his money and legend to retire with his honor intact rather than hang on to defraud the public like you know who.

"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you wanna do is make a lot of money."

Mayweather was 19 when he turned pro and it took him 2 years to win his first world title at 21, beating an incumbent two-time super-featherweight world champion in Genaro Hernandez, previously unbeaten at the weight. Canelo was 15 when he turned pro and it took him 5 years to win his first world title, beating career welterweight Matthew Hatton for the vacant light-middleweight title. Hatton's most recent achievement was finally winning the European welterweight title.

--- Genero had been blasted by Oscar previously.

Genero was never hurt by preTUE and in fact disdainful of what an oaf he was. He quit on his stool in his last fight, taking the money and running with it. TUE wanted to fight Matthew but HBO made him fight mosley and 20 yr old Canelo got Matt.

Get over it. Nobody says Canelo is a great fighter yet, but age wise he's clearly ahead of TUE.

--- Genero had been blasted by Oscar previously.

Genero was never hurt by preTUE and in fact disdainful of what an oaf he was.

You are obsessed with the idea that because Mayweather didn't hurt someone, it doesn;t count. Strangely enough, when it comes to Pacquiao, you're spitting feathers "This is all because of the prejudice against sluggers, they get no credit if they don't knock someone out."

Yeah, Hernandez got blasted by Oscar at the weight above, and never went back there. Mayweather supposedly wanted Hatton late in his career, when he was a welterweight, just like Hatton. Not as his first world title shot as a light-middleweight.

What timeline puts Alvarez ahead of Mayweather? It's not the start of their careers, it's not their first opponents.

--- PAC has nothing to do with this. Watch the fight. TUE looks a right clumsy oaf in a nothing fight with geno cryptically quit on his stool in no distress whatsoever.

Canelo 15 fighting full grown men and TUE in 16 oz marshmallows with head gear fighting boys of the same. Canelo a welt moving up to challenge Matt in a division he had some experience. Canelo a belt at age 20 and TUE at 21. Are you a noob to boxing or what?

He looks nothing like a clumsy oaf except in the first few rounds when Hernandez is bullrishing him - after that he's rattling shots into Hernandez and looks superb. Hernandez quit because he was cut and getting battered, as I recall. Mayweather was always at his best letting his hands go, rather than tucking up and potshotting.

Oh I see, we're on timelines without context, fine - foolishly I had assumed your more lucid period recently meant we'd get a proper argument. Canelo won a vacant belt against a nobody from the division below; Mayweather unseated a reigning champion in his own division. Canelo had been a pro for 5 years, Mayweather for 2. I wonder how many people think Canelo's achievement was better than Mayweather's.

Edited by gavpowell