Chris Eubank Jr injured - Vacates British title

WelshDevilRob

From Team Eubank: Chris Eubank Jnr suffered a severe injury sparring against a 14 stone opponent two days ago. The injury was assessed and confirmed by a Doctor on Friday 16th September, who works with the British Boxing Board of Control. The unforeseeable future puts us in a position where we have to allow the remaining contenders the ability to earn a living and, more importantly, prevent the promoter incurring any further costs before a press conference takes place as they had reminded the Eubank Management team that this was the highest purse bid they had secured.

Eubank Jnr’s management team have advised that, in their opinion, there has not been a fighter in the history of British Boxing who has had such a vast chasm of fighting prowess between him and the contenders for the British Championship in ability, speed, strength, accuracy and skill since its inauguration by the Marquess of Queensbury in the 1800’s.

So vast, in fact, that when winning the challenge for British Championship, Chris Eubank Snr had to advise him to leave his opponent’s head alone as he was taking far too much punishment and the referee didn't see what was clear to the former world champion.

Chris Eubank Jnr was advised to go to the body because of his father’s past participation in the great game. If you can disrupt your opponent’s breathing, you can effectively stop him quicker than to the head. There is strategic and tactical knowledge in the advice as well as compassion because the body can recover where the head does not always recover.

The opponent was subsequently put into an induced coma as a result of the punishment he was made to sustain.

It is now with relief, as it has become clear to Chris Eubank Jnr’s management over these past few months how much danger the health and lives of these contenders are in, therefore the relinquishing of the British Championship due to injury sustained in a sparring session is perhaps a blessing in disguise.

The severe injury to Chris Jnr’s elbow follows an ongoing injury which has been a recurring issue for the last 18 months. This allows Chris Eubank Jnr, and his management, the opportunity to relinquish the title which provides all contenders the right to earn a living and fight amongst their equal calibre of competitors.

As much as we love the tradition of the British Championship we will be forward thinking and be protective of our competition as the risk to them is real. This is seen as a positive move forward in Chris Eubank Jnr’s career.

The former world champion, Chris Eubank Snr has hospitalised men and has himself been hospitalised, and is therefore cognisant of what those outside of the ring are not.

Chris Eubank Jnr’s management team will use the injury as an opportunity to step aside and fight high calibre world competition in the coming future. Details of a press conference will follow.

----------------------------

Shame as Warren had added his half-brother to the undercard in Cardiff. Bet that didn't go down well.

Re: Chris Eubank Jr injured - Vacates British title

From Tommy Langford on his FB: To everyone asking I'm absolutely gutted that Eubank has pulled out! From "tennis elbow" which is the reason I heard today.

They never wanted the fight they've been clutching at straws to get other opposition calling people out left right and centre other than me. Absolute total disrespect to the sport, fighters and more importantly the fans.

I will still be fighting on oct 22nd in Cardiff and will be in a big fight regardless of what it's for so please come and support me to another victory!

Why is so much attention paid on this guy. Quite frankly, the fights I have seen in him has not impressed me. No where as good as his wild papa from the POV of my eyeballs. And the talk around him is often more about his antics outside of the ring than impressive victories. Just my observation.

Yikes, indeed. First Eddie Hearn, now Frank.

Eubank's career may actually be over. No one's gonna' want to work with him again, let alone his Dad, and it's not like he has the big wins to get the fans behind him.

Time to consider alternative career opportunities ......

Edited by Cableaddict

For once I agree with Warren. Eubank is digging himself a big hole with UK promoters and I can't see that changing anytime soon.

i don't think he's avoiding Golovkin but saying that he isn't his dad who was a great, however i think its another case of the modern era british boxer i.e. far too protected fights carefully picked ultimately could have been great but took the safe option

i don't think he's avoiding Golovkin but saying that he isn't his dad who was a great, however i think its another case of the modern era british boxer i.e. far too protected fights carefully picked ultimately could have been great but took the safe option

Except for them backing out of the contract for the Golovkin fight, which was basically a done deal.

Except for THAT.

I don't blame them for not wanting Golovkin, Chris would have zero chance of winning, but they should never have started negotiations in the first place. They obviously did that just for publicity. - Or maybe Eubank Sr actually thought he could dictate all of those crazy terms he was demanding, which borders on clinical schizophrenia.

Whatever, they cost a lot of people a lot of money, and they cost Golovkin more precious time. The Brook fight did absolutely nothing for his career.

Edited by Cableaddict

--- G picked up some of Brooksie points on boxrec, so yeah, both in $ and ratings G benefitted.

So... Huh? Is Golovkin now going to get Canelo, BJS, or Eubank into the ring because he picked up a few "points?" I doubt it.

Is He going to suddenly get paid more for his next few fights? I doubt it.

Well, maybe he got noticed by a few more casuals, I guess, and maybe that could mean more PPV dollars down the line. Still, probably not very significant.

Beating a ranked MW WOULD be significant. The Brook fight (thanks to BJS & Eubank) was a waste of 6 months, for a fighter who will soon be running out of time.

Edited by Cableaddict

people make me laugh sometimes how do you know he backed out of the deal were you there ?? no you heard a rumour / version of events my original comment however stands which was my main point British Boxers whoever they are get way to much protection these days which prevents them from being like the greats of the past such as benn and eubank snr promotors are bleeding every last pound out of fights that to be honest are complete mismatches its time for british boxers to go after the best in there divisions win the belts and then build a legacy (if for instance Anthony Joshua was american would he have fought some of the no hopers that is as)