Would beating Canelo set up Smith vs Mayweather?

The_budweiser

Trainer Joe Gallagher believes victory over Saul Alvarez on Saturday would take Liam Smith to the front of the queue for Floyd Mayweather.

Smith (23-0-1-KO13) is an underdog to retain his WBO world super-welterweight crown in Dallas but further to his unshakeable belief that an upset is on the cards, Gallagher hopes it could lure 'Money' out of retirement.

He told Sky Sports in an exclusive interview: "All we are thinking about is Saul Alvarez but if we pull this off on Saturday then for the next fight, I'd expect a call from Floyd Mayweather.

"Floyd will be sat there watching and think: 'There's only two people who have beaten Alvarez. One's me and one's Liam Smith so I'll give him a date for fight No 50 next year.

"It just gives you a sense of the enormity of the fight and the sense of occasion we're involved in. If we win this, there's a 90% chance that the phone will go from Team Mayweather.

"We don't want to look ahead but it could be a life-changing fight for Smith. He'd be set up for life financially and these opportunities have to be grabbed with both hands.

Liam Smith will be offered Floyd Mayweather if he beats Saul Alvarez, says trainer | Boxing News | Sky Sports

Re: Would beating Canelo set up Smith vs Mayweather?

"Floyd will be sat there watching and think: 'There's only two people who have beaten Alvarez. One's me and one's Liam Smith so I'll give him a date for fight No 50 next year.

"It just gives you a sense of the enormity of the fight and the sense of occasion we're involved in. If we win this, there's a 90% chance that the phone will go from Team Mayweather.

That is not how Mayweather's mind works, from what I've seen. I'm no psychologist, but Mayweather has fairly conspicuously taken fights based on what they can do for him - in recent years that has been "This guy's in the limelight at the moment, I want the attention - I'll fight that guy."

I genuinely believe Mayweather is retired, as I suspect, like Calzaghe, he felt himself slowing and his hands were getting worse with every fight.

--- Wouldn't be a bit surprised if all along this was the setup for TUE to challenge Canelo's ring middle belt, the last little tidbit in boxing that he might covet. We'll see as Canelo and Oscar will be dictating most of the terms including a settlement with Haymon that may impugn making this happen.

Are trainers doing drugs as well as the fighters now? Gallagher must be snorting some seriously pure gear if he honestly believes that.

1. In case he missed it, TBE/TUE has retired.

2. Smith dont beat Canelo even with a baseball bat.

3. Smith is a complete no-mark to the ppv buying American public.

Can we please not talk about Mayweather until we absolutely HAVE to?

:nono:

Maybe if no one ever mentions his name again, he'll just leave us alone.

Agree. And while we are at it. Please no mention of an orange presidential candidate.

I think this coach saying Liam Smith should be more dream than reality ... Mayweather will not return unless they get bored of doing nothing and decide fun winning all who want to deal with it. I just think back to face a big challenge and it is none other than GGG junior middleweight bout.