Is Haye too clever for Joshua?

The_budweiser

Anthony Joshua would be outwitted by David Haye, says trainer Don Charles (Chisora's trainer)

Anthony Joshua has power beyond measure but would struggle against David Haye, says Dereck Chisora's trainer Don Charles.

The IBF world heavyweight champion (17-0-KO17) has risen to the top of the sport with relative serenity but Charles, who trained Joshua when his amateur career was in its infancy, believes the ringcraft of Haye (28-2-KO26) would be decisive if the Londoners clashed today.

Charles told Sky Sports: "I had the privilege of training Anthony at a very early stage in his career, as an amateur, and his power is immeasurable. It's truly immeasurable.

"Joshua is a very determined young man, he's learned to have that patience. Joshua is top of the tree, because he's the current world champion.

"That build is not that of a fighter, but apart from Dillian Whyte he hasn't been in a gruelling fight. You can't take that power, but you can nullify it.

"He is better than Tyson Fury. However, right now if he was to fight Haye, I'd pick David Haye, if you were to put them in the ring together tomorrow. Haye is very clever. His ring IQ is very high. The trick is to get someone to miss.

"Haye is a master at making people miss. He was making Klitschko miss miserably. He lost because he was too negative. Had he jumped on Wladimir from round six he'd have beaten him."

Joshua is yet to name an opponent for the second defence of his crown having ground down maiden challenger Dominic Breazeale for a seventh-round stoppage in June.

Source: Sky Sports

Podcast - http://stitched-files.bwh9c8255b4.netdna-cdn.com/stitchv3/skysportstoe2toe/ringsidetoe2toe-24thaugust/hReiikN5IglB1lTT_Inptw.mp3?ci=f2ed0b1a-953f-4fe7-9bc8-4dace9563d17&st=dQdhM58M2FYlbJi4NITPKQ&e=1472219694

Re: Is Haye too clever for Joshua?

--- Not to diminish Mr Charles, but Josh has proven much more than Mr Pinkie the last few years.

Also sounds bitter over Fury KTFO of Chisora. There's bigger fish to fry than the domestic level Pinkie.

What on Earth are you talking about? Haye battered Chisora into submission inside 5 rounds; Fury did it in 10. Yes, Haye achieved relatively little at heavyweight, but at the moment, Joshua's done no more.

It does seem like he's up to his old tricks. Hoping to just TALK himself into a big payday he hasn't earned.

As I've said before, Haye's problem is that, by not earning it (and completely blowing any momentum he might have had, with those last two "fights") he has almost no chance of getting that chance. AJ would be insane to go anywhere near him. Tyson Fury will be tied up with that whole Euro-circus for some time to come. Wilder is out now, and will face either Povetkin or (I'm laughing as I type this) Stiverne once Wilder heals. Ortiz has a different path. Parker is looking to fight AJ .......

Haye dug his own grave. Too bad, he might actually have still been a force. Oh well.

"Back to the jungle, young man! "

What on Earth are you talking about? Haye battered Chisora into submission inside 5 rounds; Fury did it in 10. Yes, Haye achieved relatively little at heavyweight, but at the moment, Joshua's done no more.

Yep, and Chisora was reasonably in shape & motivated for that fight.

It was Haye's best performance at HW, by far, and gave us a taste of what might have been.

--- Pinkie needed a well larded timekeeper to save him with an early bell after Chisora hurt him, so let's not make out like that was some legit legacy fight for him.

If he had anything left, we would have seen him step up for once in his heavyweight career. Instead he's part of the WBA sham of smoke and mirrors.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see Haye bring excitement back to the CW division !

He can hardly be arsed to fight as it is these days, never mind putting in the crazy effort it takes him to get under the heavyweight limit. Not a chance he'd go back to CW.

He wants money and status, and you get that at heavyweight, not cruiser. Of course he has to actually fight someone, anyone, in order to get to that standing.

I don´t know if Haye is too clever, but this is not a college career. We´re talking about heavyweights.

Haye wouldn´t be able to run and hide for 12 rounds. Sooner or later he would be caught by the much more powerfull Joshua, and we all know about Haye´s weak chin.

Not too sure clever is Haye's best attribute. His best moments, from what I have seen, came from brute strength and power. Which I think Joshua is much better than him in those areas. Joshua does not fight like a green kid who just swings for the fences. The Brezealle fight was great for him because Dominick did not crumble, and Joshua broke him down. I do not see what many others see from Haye, if he does not hurt you early, he has very little to offer IMHO.