Errol Spence Jr fights this Sunday - can he stop Bundu?

WelshDevilRob

Errol Spence Jr (20-0, 17 KOs) takes on Leonard Bundu (33-1-2) this Sunday at the Ford Amphitheater, Coney Island, New York.

Lou DiBella (DiBella Entertainment) promotes the card whih will be televised on USA NBC, USA NBC Sports Network.

Can the heir-apparent to TBE go one better than Keith Thurman and stop the veteran Italian?

Also, what a great female contest on the undercard etween Heather Hardy and Shelly Vincent - both undefeated and a local rivalry. I don't watch female boxing but this match-up has stoked my interest.

http://www.ringnews24.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Lou-DiBella.jpg

Spence Jr vs Bundu this Sunday at Coney Island

Spence Jr vs Bundu this Sunday at Coney Island - - Boxing News - Ring News24

Re: Errol Spence Jr fights this Sunday - can he stop Bundu?

Yes he can. Algieri was completely chanceless, Bundu might be better than him but not that much better. Might go the distance and it might not, 50/50 chance I'd say. Or, a slightly bigger chance that Spence stops him.

--- Bundu surprises with raw strength, stamina, and awkward style. Spence better served concentrating his boxing at this level as he'll need it more and more if he progresses.

Really not fair fighting 40 yr olds, but still a decent test.

Certain people are still saying Spence Jr is a hype job - well when he wins on Sunday night for 21-0 all that mullarkey can stop.

The form book is in his favour too. Khan, Provodnikov and Pacroid couldnt stop Algieri but Spence Jr did in great style having him on his arse in R4 and twice in R5.

I think Spence is the real deal. Probably the no.1 welter in the world already. I don't agree that Bundu is better than Algieri - Spence will stop the veteran African in about seven rounds. Can't wait to watch it.

It's a good question, and happily it makes this fight at least semi-interesting.

I've only seen Bundu fight Thurman, so I have no idea.

We all know how good Spence is. He's faster than Thurman. He arguably hits harder. He goes to the body better than Thurman. He has a more varied attack than Thurman. IMO he's the only WW that can beat Thurman, and I think that's a safe bet. Thurman may actually have slightly better defense than Spence, but that won't matter against Bundu. It's just a question of who can get to him more decisively.

So, how good is Bundu, defensively? Heckiff I know.

Edited by Cableaddict

--- Manny knocked Algieri down a half dozen times, twice with his injured right and some were loop de loops and others 15 sec counts.

Provo knocked down good enough for the early stoppage and a dozen times more not called when it was only the ropes that saved him. Arum saved Algieri perfect record for manny and made sure manny couldn't ko him so as to preserve the TUE fight. No need to save Algieri when Spence fought him, so he was duly sacrificed to fluff up spence expectations as though he really needed Algieri for development. He didn't.

--- Manny knocked Algieri down a half dozen times, twice with his injured right and some were loop de loops and others 15 sec counts.

Provo knocked down good enough for the early stoppage and a dozen times more not called when it was only the ropes that saved him. Arum saved Algieri perfect record for manny and made sure manny couldn't ko him so as to preserve the TUE fight. No need to save Algieri when Spence fought him, so he was duly sacrificed to fluff up spence expectations as though he really needed Algieri for development. He didn't.

Man, that's some serious conspiracy theory stuff going on there.

You're starting to sound like ME ! :laugh:

(FWIW, I think you're right.)

Spence gets the late stoppage. I see Spence improving with each fight, whereas Thurman has kind of plateaued. Hopefully it's Spence vs Thurman next. Let Danny Garcia go somewhere else.

Spence gets the late stoppage. I see Spence improving with each fight, whereas Thurman has kind of plateaued. Hopefully it's Spence vs Thurman next. Let Danny Garcia go somewhere else.

Same here. Feel a bit harsh on Bundu, as he's always been a fantastic operator. Just gotten his chances late. Has skills and is tough but I think age could play a part. Still could go the distance and certainly wouldn't be surprised if this is a tougher fight for Spence than expected. Wouldn't be a bad thing, as all up-and-comers need the tricky fights.

Man, that's some serious conspiracy theory stuff going on there.

You're starting to sound like ME ! :laugh:

(FWIW, I think you're right.)

--- Nah, all I did was connect the dots provided by the clear results of the fights.

When Spence can knock a guy down 6 x without getting a stoppage, let me know. When he can obliterate a guy with a shot akin to getting clobbered with a baseball and subsequent damage, let us know. I like Spence, but Haymon coddles his fighters like no other promoter in history save allegedly. I shudder to think what a bull like Porter could do to him if he can't run like Thurman One Time did.

Are Sunday fights gonna' be some new, regular thing?

It's not a bad idea, until football season kicks in.

Gonna be interesting at the new outdoor venue in Coney Island.

@@@ Spoiler Alert @@@

--- In advance of the known results already in, I would note Spence ranked 7 by Ring and 8 by boxrec. Bundu Unranked by Ring and 28th by boxrec for context.

Just in from Pub, with my Dad, and heard the result. Quite surprising but don't know details. Miller result over Kassi result seemed surprising until I had heard the full details.

Had a blast. Love the venue, minus the rain delay. Seemed like Spence was breaking Bundu down, certainly didn't expect a one punch knockout. Brutal.

Heather Hardy fight was entertaining. So was the Nova vs Garcia walk out bout.