Olympic Boxing - Prospect Watch

Ton

I know this could be discussed in the amateur boxing threads, but I figured it was worth it's own thread.

Historically, the gold medal winners (and other medal winners), have a lot of hype put upon them and expectations of them are huge if they progress into the professional ranks.

Obviously not all of them succeed, but many of them come through to be successful over the years.

So who from the outset is expected to produce here at these games? Are there any you are particularly interested in seeing how they get on?

As they progress we can discuss who you have been impressed with and how you think they may fare in the paid ranks.

Re: Olympic Boxing - Prospect Watch

I like this topic.

i don't have the time nor inclination to watch amateur boxing these days, but I'd love to know which guys appear to have the skills, power, and style to do well in the pros.

Looking for young Kovlevs, not young Laras. Mikeys, not Paulies.

Edited by Cableaddict

GB's Joshua Buatsi with a stunning KO upset victory in the light heavyweight divison.

Looks impressive, but not seen the actual fight itself.

Rio Olympics 2016: Joshua Buatsi & Pat McCormack progress, Josh Kelly out - BBC Sport

Saw highlights of that. Very exciting. Don't know much about him but one to watch.

Not much activity on this thread so I assume people haven't been taking much notice?

There's been a few decent looking fighters I have seen and believe would be suited to the pro ranks but I didn't really note them down to mention here :haha:

However, as is typical for the sport, there have been numerous controversies with the scoring of bouts and a few clear robberies. The circus starts at the bottom and is present throughout the sport right to the top!

As Bunce and Richie Woodhall alluded to when they were discussing these bad decisions, this is a global stage for the sport, and if potential fans are being exposed to these farces, the sport isn't going to gain any new supporters and viewers. Shameful.

• 2 weeks later...