Nathan Cleverly's progress without his dad..

The_budweiser

Many called for Vincent Cleverly to step down as trainer as he was holding his son back after he lost to Kovalev.

I was one of a few who thought Vincent should of stayed as trainer.

Now we look back at the decision -

Did you want him to leave or stay with his dad/trainer Vincent? and how do you see Cleverlys progress without his dad?

-----

(I think I may have written this article at the time.)

Nathan Cleverly lost his WBO light heavyweight title to a devastating defeat against Sergey Kovalev on Saturday night. Cleverly was blown away inside four rounds as Kovalev lived up to his big-punching reputation.

Many fans immediately took to Facebook calling for Vince Cleverly to quit as trainer, this is the same trainer who fight fans forget got Nathan in contention for the belt, which they went onto win and defended a total of five times together.

Page not found - - Boxing News - Ring News24

Re: Nathan Cleverly's progress without his dad..

As I said above I didn't want him to leave his dad at the time.

I don't think Nathan has made progress or any great strides since leaving Vince - many thought he would of came on loads after the split. I thought at the time Vince just needed help with conditioning and fitness by bringing in help.

How do you view the situation now?

Re: Nathan Cleverly's progress without his dad..

Vince is still training fighters I believe. Not sure what his involvement with Nathan is but Darren Wilson is the main trainer now.

I think Nathan was unlucky with the Bellew rematch - he had a hand injury going into the fight and could've postponed but went ahead with it. You could see in the fight he was only using one hand after a couple of rounds. Since then his career has lacked real direction. The Ward fight was possible but I think Ward's team had too many demands, so Nathan is now targeting a Breahmer fight and I think he has a good chance of winning.